How do you beat the cravings and hunger during dieting and exercising??

Options

Replies

• RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Eating healthy after not caring is not an easy switch but I know it's for the better. I usually try to ignore my cravings but one day a week I give myself a small cheat and eat what I want within proper portions though and within my limits in order to settle them. The hunger is more difficult because I want to stay under my daily goals.

What is your calorie goal and how long have you been consuming it?

I find that the first week in a deficit is tricky and hunger is higher. Then I get used to it, or I just automatically adjust my eating to help with it. When I'm trying to lose weight there's always one time of the day when I'm slightly uncomfortable with hunger and I think that's okay. I get my diet soda and wait for my next meal. Others will have a small snack then.

My calorie goal is 2,180. By the end of the day, completing my diary, I have 600-900 calories left. Throughout the day I'm barely hungry at all. Most commonly for lunch and dinner I have either chicken or fish for good amount of protein so I'm full and satisfied when I complete my diary. However every night before bed I'm all of a sudden hungry.

Of course we don't know all your stats, but 2,180 seems pretty high for a weight loss calorie goal for a woman. If I were eating that many cals daily I'd be gaining unless I was doing a ton of exercise. Even with exercise my daily goal is rarely above 1700-1800. Even so, I'm rarely ravenously hungry unless I've skipped a meal.

As far as the hunger, find lower calorie foods and eat them. When I get hungry between meals I eat a few bites of cottage cheese, cucumber slices with hummus, rice cake with a scant amount of peanut butter. Lots of low calorie options for snacking. If I'm hungry before bed, I eat something. No point in going to bed feeling hungry and uncomfortable.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I try to make sure I meet my protein, fat, and fiber goals for the day - if my meals are sufficient in those macros, I usually am not hungry during the day unless it is time to eat. After a workout, I always eat something, either a banana or a snack bar or something.

I read on these forums that there are no extra credit points for suffering - it is a great thing to remember. If you're hungry - eat.

This^ is the same thing that I do. Protein and fiber are satiating and I don't have any issues with hunger or cravings.
  • LeaMarie8031
    LeaMarie8031 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I prefer to stay under my Calorie goal. I've often eaten that way for a long time, Usually I never eat breakfast, I snack for lunch then have dinner. I've only been getting hungrier here lately which I'm assuming is because of the increase in my activity level. I also said that throughout the day I'm not hungry, I now eat breakfast, a snack, then Lunch. And when I finish my diary after dinner even with those 600-900 calories left I said that I am completely full and satisfied when i click "Complete Diary" its only about 2 hours later when im getting ready for sleep that i get hungry, but i don't like eating right before laying down for the night.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I prefer to stay under my Calorie goal. I've often eaten that way for a long time, Usually I never eat breakfast, I snack for lunch then have dinner. I've only been getting hungrier here lately which I'm assuming is because of the increase in my activity level. I also said that throughout the day I'm not hungry, I now eat breakfast, a snack, then Lunch. And when I finish my diary after dinner even with those 600-900 calories left I said that I am completely full and satisfied when i click "Complete Diary" its only about 2 hours later when im getting ready for sleep that i get hungry, but i don't like eating right before laying down for the night.

You aren't hungry during the day, possibly because you are busy and not thinking about it. However, you added extra activity. You ARE hungry two hours after dinner because the activity needs to be fueled. Have you used the app on MFP or elsewhere to calculate your BMI/BMR? If you are eating under that unnecessarily (which you probably are, since MFP gives you 2000 + calories, and you are only eating between 1100-1400) then the body is going to complain, hence the hunger. You have banked a LOT of calories daily, if this is what you are eating, there is no reason to "stave off any cravings or hunger" when you have plenty of calories left. You could eat another meal with that plus snacks!

You can easily remedy it by eating another meal but if you don't feel hungry, then eat some nuts before you go to bed, or some other high calorie food that will add about 300-400 calories.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Planning for sweet or savory snacks really helps keep my cravings in check.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I eat a meal 1 to 2 hrs before my swimming workout. And after workout I have a cliff bar or pure protein bar.
  • LeaMarie8031
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »

You aren't hungry during the day, possibly because you are busy and not thinking about it. However, you added extra activity. You ARE hungry two hours after dinner because the activity needs to be fueled. Have you used the app on MFP or elsewhere to calculate your BMI/BMR? If you are eating under that unnecessarily (which you probably are, since MFP gives you 2000 + calories, and you are only eating between 1100-1400) then the body is going to complain, hence the hunger. You have banked a LOT of calories daily, if this is what you are eating, there is no reason to "stave off any cravings or hunger" when you have plenty of calories left. You could eat another meal with that plus snacks!

You can easily remedy it by eating another meal but if you don't feel hungry, then eat some nuts before you go to bed, or some other high calorie food that will add about 300-400 calories.

I have not used the BMI/BMR. I understand fueling the activity, which is why I try to have my lunch before the gym and have dinner after the gym. And I stay under my Calorie goal because to be honest I DON'T lose weight if i dont. I know this because I've already experienced it. I've used MFP before, I've done dieting before and I've had to make adjustments accordingly in order to lose weight. I've struggled with gaining weight and losing weight since I was 18. Everyone is different yes and has to make their ways suited to their individual needs. If I eat up to my goal, or go a little higher, I don't lose any weight, at least nothing to be proud of.
  • catt59
    catt59 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I chew a lot of gum when I get cravings. Sipping on an herbal tea is also helpful providing it's not one you have to add sugar to. And when I am exercising I plan a meal that has more bulk to it, something with a lot more vegetables that will fill me up.
  • Tmountainmom
    Tmountainmom Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have foods with me (like carrots, cucumbers, red peppers) that I can crunch on while driving home from work (when I am usually feeling stressed, have cravings, and just want to eat) or while making dinner. Otherwise I work in foods that I crave into my daily plan.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,442 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I have not used the BMI/BMR. I understand fueling the activity, which is why I try to have my lunch before the gym and have dinner after the gym. And I stay under my Calorie goal because to be honest I DON'T lose weight if i dont. I know this because I've already experienced it. I've used MFP before, I've done dieting before and I've had to make adjustments accordingly in order to lose weight. I've struggled with gaining weight and losing weight since I was 18. Everyone is different yes and has to make their ways suited to their individual needs. If I eat up to my goal, or go a little higher, I don't lose any weight, at least nothing to be proud of.

I sincerely hope you're being proud of no more than 1% of your body weight, and less than that if you have less than about 50 pounds to goal.

Best wishes!

Quoting myself because too late to edit to fix an important omission: I meant ". . . of losing no more than 1% of your body weight per week, . . ."
  • LeaMarie8031
    edited February 2018
    Options

I sincerely hope you're being proud of no more than 1% of your body weight, and less than that if you have less than about 50 pounds to goal.

Best wishes!

Quoting myself because too late to edit to fix an important omission: I meant ". . . of losing no more than 1% of your body weight per week, . . ."

I actually have more than 50lbs to lose, and it's super super hard.

I also understand and I'm listening to everyone's tips, habits and advice. I'll add a couple 100 cals to my daily intake and see how it goes. It's hard for me to diet because I can't eat most of what everyone else can that's healthy. Only a handful of healthy foods are good, or at least okay to me. The majority of healthy food is just gross to me. I've tried forcing myself to eat a wider variety of healthier foods but I just can't fathom the taste of some.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Best wishes!

I also understand and I'm listening to everyone's tips, habits and advice. I'll add a couple 100 cals to my daily intake and see how it goes. It's hard for me to diet because I can't eat most of what everyone else can that's healthy. Only a handful of healthy foods are good, or at least okay to me. The majority of healthy food is just gross to me

heres the thing-health foods are for health. you can eat other things you like just make them fit into your calories. its not about what you eat for weight loss its how much or in this instance how little. if you can get a well balanced diet which means including healthy foods you like that would even be better, but you dont need to eat nothing but healthy foods. you can still gain weight eating more calories in healthy foods if you go over maintenance calories. trust me I did it in the past. now I eat what I want but try to incorporate healthy foods I do like.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,442 Member
    Options

Best wishes!

I also understand and I'm listening to everyone's tips, habits and advice. I'll add a couple 100 cals to my daily intake and see how it goes. It's hard for me to diet because I can't eat most of what everyone else can that's healthy. Only a handful of healthy foods are good, or at least okay to me. The majority of healthy food is just gross to me. I've tried forcing myself to eat a wider variety of healthier foods but I just can't fathom the taste of some.

Good, I'm glad you're considering changes. Overall nutrition is very important: Enough protein, enough fats (including ones from sources like nuts and olive oil), enough fiber, well-rounded micronutrients (usually from veggies and fruits).

But I don't really believe in dividing foods up into "healthy" and "unhealthy". It's an overall total way of eating that's healthy or unhealthy . . . and even then it's a continuum from more healthy to less healthy, not black and white.

So, IMO it's OK to eat some foods that are less nutrient dense - foods you might think of as treat foods - once you have solid basic nutrition covered. Doing that, while staying within an accurate calorie goal, won't hinder weight loss.

So, maybe eat a small treat? ;)
  • LeaMarie8031
    Options
    Force of habit saying healthy and unhealthy. Some foods are just better for ya than others, even if they don't always taste better lol. I actually do still eat some foods that are NOT SO good but I do keep in mind my cal goal and portions. I have started eating the healthier foods I do like more often, Usually making each diary similar to one another, but luckily I don't really get bored of the same things over and over