Recommendations needed for sweet sources of protein

Options
13»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,647 Member
    Options
    Kirkland protein bars have an idiosyncratic texture that reminds me of early quest bars and which I've learned to enjoy. They are 190 - 205 Cal on average based on actual weight and offer 20g protein.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    As someone else posted - Premier protein drink. I like the chocolate only.
    Yogurt- have you tried freezing it - you can freeze for a little bit, an hour or two or more. The consistency has now changed.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,173 Member
    Options
    Plain Greek yogurt + chocolate PB2 peanut butter powder + frozen fruit.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Enjcg5 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Does Greek yogurt have a similar texture to other kinds of yogurts? For whatever reason, yogurt sets off my gag reflex, which stinks because it’s delicious.

I really don't like regular yogurt but I do like Greek, you also might need to try a couple of brands since they will have slightly different textures.

Honestly, to get more than 20g of protein in less than 200 cals, all I can think of is making something with protein powder. Like a shake or protein fluff, or cookies or something like that. Even if you get an artificially sweetened Greek yogurt you'd need to eat more than a single serving cup to get over 20g, or stir in some PB powder or protein powder, at least the brands I'm familiar with.

Ohhhh.... this is what I need! What brand?

Hmmm what brand of what? I like Oikos triple zero greek yogurt when I don't have $ and Fage when I do. I normally buy flavored and don't mix anything in, but I know other people who buy plain and mix in PB2 or protein powder.

If you mean protein powder I prefer Trutein. It's a combo of whey, casein, and egg protein. It has yummy dessert flavors, seems to fill me up more, and you can buy samples to try flavors.

Sorry. I meant to reply to the person that had a protein bar as dessert at night.
  • RollTideHusker
    RollTideHusker Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Kirkland protein bars have an idiosyncratic texture that reminds me of early quest bars and which I've learned to enjoy. They are 190 - 205 Cal on average based on actual weight and offer 20g protein.

These are pretty decent. We have a box that has Chocolate chip cookie dough (it’s ok) and Chocolate brownie (really good)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, all! I’m going to see what my grocery store has for shakes and bar type things and give those a go. The premier shakes seem really popular and look like they’d fit the bill - I usually avoid drinking calories as I find them unfilling, but right before bed that really wouldn’t matter.
  • dracaene
    dracaene Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I’m a huge fan of Grenade Carb Killa protein bars. About 220 cals for 20g protein. They taste like chocolate bars (and have a similar texture as well). My 3 favourites are peanut nutter (choc/pb), caramel chaos (choc/caramel), and Jaffa quake (choc/orange).
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,647 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Berries or banana frozen
    Low Cal milk like thingy (almond, cashew vanilla unsweetened on sale are the ones I use)
    Protein powder especially casein, usually chocolate flavoured
    Tiny amount xanathan gum
    Possibly added unsweetened Hershey chocolate
    Blender

Adjust per calories.
    Enjoy :smiley:
    (Works better during hot weather!)
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    @Enjcg5

I think maybe you meant me as I mentioned eating the bars as dessert. I did mention in the post, they are the pure protein brand bar. I found some at ocean state job lot super cheap, but you can get them at Walmart. The dark chocolate coconut, chocolate sea salt caramel and s'mores are my favorite. Chocolate peanut butter and caramel peanut butter are pretty good too. The strawberry was gross. Haven't tried the chocolate chip.

When I need a meal replacement I use the premier protein bars. Those I buy at BJs, $27 for 18 big bars. You can also get them at Walmart for about $1.25 a bar.
  • stephaniepethtorres
    stephaniepethtorres Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You can search online for protein hot chocolate& coffee drinks. I love cappuccino & amaretto hot chocolate that I buy on Amazon. They have about 90 calories with 15G protein
  • MegaMooseEsq
    edited February 2018
    Options
    So all of these great suggestions, and my local grocery store didn’t have any of the ones I was looking to try! Well, that’s what Amazon is good for, yeah? I did pick up a couple of the protein shakes that they did carry, plus some kefir, which I’d never heard of but the store had a bunch including protein enriched. Fingers crossed I like one of these, because it looks like I’ve got more ground to make up than I’d realized. Well, one thing at a time!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I like women’s Best (out of the U.K.). They have the regular protein powders, but I enjoy the protein ice cream mix, the protein pudding and the raspberry protein pancake mix. Oh! And the protein cookies and protein bites. They have frequent and great sales.

Personally, I would always recommend paying for the DHL shipping.
  • Psychgrrl
    Options
    Oh yeah! And Skyr Icelandic yogurt! And I like the “chocolate covered donut” cake bites.
  • Psychgrrl
    Options
    I also buy an unflavored protein powder, great for mixing into things like oatmeal.
  • Psychgrrl
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    vanmep wrote: »
    There’s a high protein low fat cheese cake recipe in the food an nutrition thread. I haven’t tried it yet but it has rave reviews

I was going to say protein cheesecake. There's a huge thread dedicated to the above with lots of different ideas and variations AND pictures. I've tried several different ones with all the protein powders that I have. Very yummy and satisfying. I had the thread bookmarked but had to stop because I kept baking cheesecake all the time. Eventually that doesn't lead to a good place even if it is healthy and all. :D

Please link to the (magical) cheesecake thread in case I can’t find it when I go look for it. Thank you!
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt is the only thing i can think of, that or a beltsander brownie: https://thebeltsander.org/the-beltsander-brownie/
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Chia pudding!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    Well, the first shake I tried (PlantFusion complete plant protein chocolate) was a bit of a bust. The first sip was tasty enough, but by the end I was not enjoying the mouthfeel or aftertaste. Ah well. Lots of protein options in the sea! I’m not all that crazy about chocolate anyhow, so that might have been a factor.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Some of the halo top flavours are 240 calories and 24g of protein :)