How do you beat the cravings and hunger during dieting and exercising??

Options

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Walking, coffee and gum. Sometimes all at the same time.
  • LeaMarie8031
    LeaMarie8031 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I wish I could just sleep when I get hungry
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Force of habit saying healthy and unhealthy. Some foods are just better for ya than others, even if they don't always taste better lol. I actually do still eat some foods that are NOT SO good but I do keep in mind my cal goal and portions. I have started eating the healthier foods I do like more often, Usually making each diary similar to one another, but luckily I don't really get bored of the same things over and over

Re: learning to like a larger variety of foods. There was a study done on picky eaters which found many of them could learn to like new foods, but they often had to try them seven to eleven times first. There really is such a thing as an acquired taste - it has to do with building new pathways in the brain. What they recommended was not forcing yourself to eat something you don't like, but don't try it once and give up on it either. Try the same food many times, and if you don't like it after one or two bites, say "I don't like it yet," and try again another time. If you have friends or relatives who like a larger variety of foods, you can try tasting some of what they're having, so you don't end up wasting a lot of food.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    Force of habit saying healthy and unhealthy. Some foods are just better for ya than others, even if they don't always taste better lol. I actually do still eat some foods that are NOT SO good but I do keep in mind my cal goal and portions. I have started eating the healthier foods I do like more often, Usually making each diary similar to one another, but luckily I don't really get bored of the same things over and over

Re: learning to like a larger variety of foods. There was a study done on picky eaters which found many of them could learn to like new foods, but they often had to try them seven to eleven times first. There really is such a thing as an acquired taste - it has to do with building new pathways in the brain. What they recommended was not forcing yourself to eat something you don't like, but don't try it once and give up on it either. Try the same food many times, and if you don't like it after one or two bites, say "I don't like it yet," and try again another time. If you have friends or relatives who like a larger variety of foods, you can try tasting some of what they're having, so you don't end up wasting a lot of food.

Y'know, now that you mention it, I may've seen something about that study, too.

I've certainly learned to enjoy - not just tolerate - some foods I formerly didn't care for. When one talks about it, it sounds like it would be really arduous and annoying, like holding one's nose and forcing oneself, but in practice it's not.

I haven't ever "made myself" learn to eat something - I don't believe in eating optional really yucky stuff, life is too short! ;) It's more about letting myself re-sample something, and think about what was limiting enjoyment, then gradually trying it again in ways that counter that - if it has too strong a flavor, giving it another try mixed with something that's on the "too bland" side; or if it's texture, spreading/slicing it thinly, or thinning with liquid, or mixing with another texture. For me, there does have to be some aspect that appeals to me enough to keep trying, though.

Good point!
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Coffee
  • gymprincess1234
    gymprincess1234 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I try to have breakfast as late as possible, so I can eat dinner later and go to sleep before I get hungry again.
    Drink water
    If it's really a craving, not hunger, and I have already run out of calories - do a workout and eat those calories or zero-kcal fizzy drinks
    Keeping busy - reading, watching a film, doing laundry, etc.
    Eating low-kcal voluminous foods like lettuce with low kcal sauces as snacks
  • Blooperss
    Blooperss Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think you should visit the recipes section of the forums to get some ideas of tasty foods that are healthy. It took me a long time to get to the point of enjoying what I eat during a "diet", because at the end of the day, it's a lifestyle change you need to adapt to and learn to love.

I still eat all the things I enjoy, just healthier versions of them. For example, I love chocolate, but have started eating strawberries dipped in dark chocolate for a more filling snack. I love mayo, but started using light mayo (with other spices) and measuring how much of it I put into my food. I've never tried different spices/recipes until I decided to eat heathlier. If you really really crave something, indulge a little. Today I craved Mcdonalds after not having it for a good month, so I decided to eat a healthier meal before hand to save some calories for my cheeseburger and small fries. I went over my cals today, but I'm ok with it because it definitely beats binging on a bunch of food :) If you're hungy, go grab a snack even if it means going over your calories. I always keep a bunch of low cal and/or nutritious snacks in my pantry/fridge.
  • Marykaylady2010
    Marykaylady2010 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The only time I feel hungry on my diet is when I stay up later then usual. If I feel hungry I will start by drinking a bottle of water if after that and 20 mins has passed I am still hungry I will eat something. What I eat depends on my calories and the time of day but I’m not going to starve. I usually fit everything I need in my 1200 -1400 calorie goal. I intentionally set my day to sedentary so my fitbit will often give me a good amount of extra calories for exercise.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I tend to feel hungrier on days I dont get enough sleep as well.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    My best advice is this plan your day around foods you like and foods that are going to help make calories. Always try to have a small >200 calorie snack in place of times of carvings. Don't try to forbid yourself of certain foods you enjoy. Like ice cream then only buy those snack size cups and have 1 every couple of days. Don't try to punish yourself losing weight or you'll start to give in.

Working out making you hungry then budget a good percent of calories in a post workout meal. If I work out in the evening with 2200 calories I'll have around 1000 so thru the day and 1200 after working out even if its 10PM at night. Always try to find that right balance of being able to be happy and staying healthy in the long run.
  • TriPaulCantRun
    TriPaulCantRun Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I find that when I first start off I'm thinking about the fact that I'm on a diet so often that it makes me hungry. After a couple of weeks I'm in the groove and don't even think about it. I still occasionally get cravings, but if it's for something sweet I try to eat a pear or some melon etc.

I also use fruit at strategic times when I know I can be weak, e.g. I go for lunch at about 12:30, so at 11:30 I eat a piece of fruit. If I'm not overly hungry I'm much more likely to eat healthily. I also eat a piece of fruit on the walk from my office to my car in the evening, then I'm not sitting in my car dreaming about dinner all the way home...
  • LeaMarie8031
    LeaMarie8031 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    A lot of insightful post. It's always helpful hearing from different people to adjust your own ways to better help you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I know cravings sometimes gets us all and a lot of us have our own way of dealing with them. So I ask, How do you handle your cravings? Another question on my mind, Working out tends to increase appetite making you even more hungry during dieting. How do you manage that?

Eat at a reasonable deficit, not the most aggressive deficit possible.

If you're using MFP as designed, you activity level doesn't include exercise and thus there are no calories allotted to account for that activity...you account for that activity by logging it and then getting additional calories.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    A lot of insightful post. It's always helpful hearing from different people to adjust your own ways to better help you.

Do try some things and please let us know how it's going after a few weeks, OK?

It's so helpful, both for other new people reading, and for people like me giving advice ;) , to know what does & doesn't work for other people . . . and I'm confident you can find something that helps. Then you can help us learn. :)
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,975 Member
    Options
    Some of it is going to be finding the balance between eating enough and still eating in enough of a deficit to lose weight. Each body is going to be a little different, but if you're starving between meals, then you probably need to add in some snacks or make your meals a little larger.

I typically find I cannot make it from lunch until dinner without a snack. I usually just have a half serving of some mixed nuts, which is enough to tide me over. I do tend to eat dinner a bit early though. Be sure you're drinking plenty of water, too.
  • Eelkov
    Eelkov Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I dont know if this helps... but apparently Protein makes you feel fuller than carbs...
    I find I get Hangry (hungry angry) at about 5PM... so I eat a boiled egg... immediately I feel better..
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Eelkov wrote: »
    I dont know if this helps... but apparently Protein makes you feel fuller than carbs...
    I find I get Hangry (hungry angry) at about 5PM... so I eat a boiled egg... immediately I feel better..

That won't apply for everyone, but if someone isn't aware of what it is that helps them stay full it's worth it to focus on one thing at a time (either protein, carbs or fat) and see which one does it for them.
  • loseweight200
    loseweight200 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was also starving before bed. About a half hour after dinner, I eat a half cup of black beans and I’m good til morning. 100 calories