Sodium Intake locked at 2300mg/day?

Options
Hi all,

I was just wondering why sodium intake doesn't adjust based on exercise. You sweat out salt when you exercise, therefore need it replenished, which should add to the recommended 2300mg/day correct?

i.e;

I perform high intensity cardio for an hour and lose a pound in sweat, equivalent to 500mg of sodium. My daily recommended sodium intake should now be 2300 + 500 (2800).

How come myfitnesspal doesn't do this?

Replies

• StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    kazgorat1 wrote: »
    The American Heart Association recommends no more than 2,300 milligrams (mgs) a day and an ideal limit of no more than 1,500 mg per day for most adults.

I probably wouldn't recommend upping your sodium intake to account for exercise.

That could be very dangerous advice.

Perhaps you can explain...
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Well I just ignore it when I get the red numbers. I go over my sodium every so often and it doesn't affect anything it's just there to make you mind full of how much you're having. I wouldn't worry about it
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Well I just ignore it when I get the red numbers. I go over my sodium every so often and it doesn't affect anything it's just there to make you mind full of how much you're having. I wouldn't worry about it

only thing it will do is cause water retention and mask weight loss.
  • StevefromMichigan
    Options
    The American Heart Association recommends no more than 2,300 milligrams (mgs) a day and an ideal limit of no more than 1,500 mg per day for most adults.

I probably wouldn't recommend upping your sodium intake to account for exercise.

Explain that a blanket statement to NOT increase sodium due to excersise can be dangerous.....how does that need any explanation.

OP stated he was consuming 2300mg and losing 500 through exercise, hence a net intake of 1800mg, which is well within normal range.

Given the known association of excess sodium to increased high blood pressure and possible issues with kidney function, I probably wouldn't recommend it in his case.
  • StevefromMichigan
    Options

And high blood pressure and potentially extra strain on your kidneys.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Athletes can help with their electrolyte stores by drinking beverages designed to replenish them if needed. I use propel on days I feel I need to. It is sugar free and helps if I have a long hard workout in the pool.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2657026/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17617999

Hyponatremia is one thing that can happen when you dont have enough sodium in the body.
  • StevefromMichigan
    Options
    I agree, but the OP was netting 1800mg, well within normal range.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options

I know that. But I drink quite a bit of water so that isn't a problem for me
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I agree, but the OP was netting 1800mg, well within normal range.

well I dont see any harm in if he wants to replace that sodium. it will help retain any water in the system to help keep him hydrated as well. especially if he is feeling off or his urine changes color. he may not have any side effects from not replacing it short term. but its going to vary by person. so its a YMMV type thing
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I know that. But I drink quite a bit of water so that isn't a problem for me

well yeah that can help too.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    your sodium intake should be at least 5000 miligrams a day easily....Im always at around 6 thousand...This is a closely guarded health and fat loss secret....especially if you exercise correctly. Be careful of what salt you do buy....Make sure its clean....I have experimented with this for years....

why should his sodium be that high? unless hes doing keto and how does that much sodium going to help fat loss? fat is lost in a deficit not an overabundance of sodium
  • StevefromMichigan
    Options
    your sodium intake should be at least 5000 miligrams a day easily....Im always at around 6 thousand...This is a closely guarded health and fat loss secret....especially if you exercise correctly. Be careful of what salt you do buy....Make sure its clean....I have experimented with this for years....

That's just crazy. OP, I recommend that you A) speak to your doctor, and B) do your own research. I sent you a link to the WHO website. AMA, Harvard and others are good places to read up as well.

With that, I am exiting this thread.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options

why should his sodium be that high? unless hes doing keto and how does that much sodium going to help fat loss? fat is lost in a deficit not an overabundance of sodium

Ignore this one...he posts the most ridiculous things on random posts. I smell a troll...