Knees hurt after leg day

Hi All,

Sorry i didn't quiet know where to put this topic so i chose here due to body building...

After completing a leg workout my knees are in pain, its not unbearable but for saying im 25 and its painful for me to stand, my knees also were very tingly last night...

Yesterday i did...

Squats around 100 squats (narrow, normal, wide leg and sumo)
lunges
dead lifts
side squats

Maybe i was locking my legs out without realizing?

Heaviest weight lifted in at one time was only 30kg...

Any ideas on what it could be?

Any tips on preventing this pain in the future?

Replies

• Rose18l
    Rose18l Posts: 147 Member
    100 squats sounds like a bit much but without seeing form it is hard to tell what makes your knees hurt
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I agree with 'why are you doing that many squats?'
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Hi All,

Sorry i didn't quiet know where to put this topic so i chose here due to body building...

After completing a leg workout my knees are in pain, its not unbearable but for saying im 25 and its painful for me to stand, my knees also were very tingly last night...

Yesterday i did...

Squats around 100 squats (narrow, normal, wide leg and sumo)
    lunges
    dead lifts
    side squats

Maybe i was locking my legs out without realizing?

Heaviest weight lifted in at one time was only 30kg...

Any ideas on what it could be?

Any tips on preventing this pain in the future?
    Any of those lifts could cause your knees to hurt if form is off.

In general you want your knee to track where your toes point and keep your joints stacked on top of each other so less stress on the joints.

Also appropriate volume/rep scheme for a novice. Starting Stength the best novice program bar none that has only 15 reps of squats per day after warm ups and only 45 reps per week and is plenty of volume to force adaptation for progress for a novice.

• shareebarnett2017
    shareebarnett2017 Posts: 32 Member
    Rose18l wrote: »
    100 squats sounds like a bit much but without seeing form it is hard to tell what makes your knees hurt

Its very strange because when i do a Hiit workout in a class i do around 100 squats (normal, wide leg jump squats and pulsing squats) without any problem but its only using body weight.
  • TavistockToad

Its very strange because when i do a Hiit workout in a class i do around 100 squats (normal, wide leg jump squats and pulsing squats) without any problem but its only using body weight.

did you choose a programme from the list provided in your last thread? just wondered which one included over 100 squats?
  • shareebarnett2017
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    How long have you been exercising? What are your goals? I ask, because 100 squats seems a bit excessive.

years, but only been lifting about a year...

my goal is to build muscle... i didn't do the squats all in one go.
  • shareebarnett2017

to be honest i didn't mean to and i didnt realise i did until i wrote this post and did a calculation... i started with squats went onto something else then squats then something else and it all just added up to that.

So we think its because of the amount of squats i did?

As i say in a Hiit class i do that many squats and never have a problem..

Anybody used leg support bands? could they help?
  • shareebarnett2017

did you choose a programme from the list provided in your last thread? just wondered which one included over 100 squats?

No, my gym was packed yesterday and we ended up doing a workout in a room with minimal equipment! This was based on class work that i had done with an instructor... To be honest i have considered changing gyms because i go with a workout plan and it just fails because i cant use anything.

I have chosen the beginners Stronger lift 5x5 from the last thread though but am slightly confused about doing a barbell row on a leg workout though?
  • TavistockToad

to be honest i didn't mean to and i didnt realise i did until i wrote this post and did a calculation... i started with squats went onto something else then squats then something else and it all just added up to that.

using a support without knowing the actual cause of the pain is a bad idea.

rest till your knees stop hurting, then start a proper programme and if the pain continues, get someone to check your form and/or see a physio
  • TavistockToad

1. If you're doing squats, it's not HIIT
    2. If you're trying to do squats as HIIT, they're probably not squats.

Regarding Bands, they might help. They might just disguise your symptoms until you become actually injured.

lots of squats as HIIT sounds like an insanity type interval workout. so cardio with some squats and press ups!!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    at least one of your quad muscles runs right over the top of your kneecap and attaches to your shin bone just beneath them.

so yeah. i've had post-squatting phases where i seriously thought i had ruined my knees. because my quad muscles were so tight they were squishing my kneecaps - it's called prepatellar something or other, actually.

a few days of careful and consistent work on releasing my quads calmed me down and made me more comfortable. and it made me go actually read the sections of starting strength where rippetoe talks about muscle mechanics during the course of a squat.

gl.
  • shareebarnett2017

1. If you're doing squats, it's not HIIT
    2. If you're trying to do squats as HIIT, they're probably not squats.

Regarding Bands, they might help. They might just disguise your symptoms until you become actually injured.

Think my best option is just to pay for a personal trainer at a different gym! I did actually have doubts about some PTS at my gym as i was watching one do an introduction and all they said to this more mature lady was ' the photos are on the machine of what to do' didnt once hear them say do not lock your legs out on the leg press.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited February 2018

No, my gym was packed yesterday and we ended up doing a workout in a room with minimal equipment! This was based on class work that i had done with an instructor... To be honest i have considered changing gyms because i go with a workout plan and it just fails because i cant use anything.

I have chosen the beginners Stronger lift 5x5 from the last thread though but am slightly confused about doing a barbell row on a leg workout though?

FYI - StrongLifts does not have a "leg workout", it is full body compound movements 3x/week.
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    at least one of your quad muscles runs right over the top of your kneecap and attaches to your shin bone just beneath them.

so yeah. i've had post-squatting phases where i seriously thought i had ruined my knees. because my quad muscles were so tight they were squishing my kneecaps - it's called prepatellar something or other, actually.

a few days of careful and consistent work on releasing my quads calmed me down and made me more comfortable. and it made me go actually read the sections of starting strength where rippetoe talks about muscle mechanics during the course of a squat.

gl.

I have large quads and have found myself in a similar situation and started foam-rolling my quads (the only thing that has helped thus far) and it made the symptoms non-existent.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Body weight squats aren't the same as weight squats. And from classes I've seen where squats are done, the form is incorrect when doing high rep. Most females in those types of classes just slightly bend their knees and push their butt out calling that a squat.
    More than likely it was the amount of exercise you did and possibly your form. Would be a good idea to have your squat assessed before trying it again. Oh, and DON'T ever lock out your knees.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    This is my specialty...DO NOT HAVE A LEG DAY...its ridiculous and not needed for size or strength...Incorporate legs either in a push pull split or do What I do full body training varying my intensity and volume...I never ever ever have knee pain anymore and my legs are great...Dont want you to be in pain.
    Chris Rocco

Not sure what your saying @Shugahhfatt but dead wrong.

Your name suggests that you think sugar made you fat. Also as ridiculous as telling someone leg Day is ridiculous.

Reading his full post he is advocating a full body routine over body part routine. That might be sound advice depending on goals and training age.