What diet???

Options
There are so many diets around and I’ve tried a lot of them and non successful. I’m so fed up of being in track then falling off the wagon. Is there a magic cure please can someone tell me x

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    There is no special diet. Agree with the above poster. CICO works best. Have a reasonable calorie deficit (goal 0.5-1 pound loss per week). Log everything you consume with accurate entries (no homemade or generic). Have patience.
  • sammyj19902015
    sammyj19902015 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately patience is something I lack, I’ve lost 1st 5lb since August on different diets but still isn’t giving me the spur on that I need
  • cathipa
    Options
    Unfortunately patience is something I lack, I’ve lost 1st 5lb since August on different diets but still isn’t giving me the spur on that I need

That's within a healthy range! How much do you need to lose to get to a healthy weight (not your goal weight)?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    FUEL your body, with tasty foods, mostly nutrient dense. Eat less, move more.
  • sammyj19902015
    Options
    To get into a ‘healthy weight range’ I need to lose another 3st 5lb but personally I feel like that would be too much so I’m looking for another 2st 5lb
  • cathipa
    Options
    If you are losing why are you looking for another "diet" if what you are currently doing is working? Are you exercising as well?
  • sammyj19902015
    Options
    I’ve mainly done slimming world but finding I’ve hit a plateau on that so tried keto for 10 days then today had a massive binge on everything I shouldn’t have so just wanted to see what works for other people, not exercising a lot as I have a 7 month old baby which I find makes it hard
  • tmaths
    tmaths Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    As the lovely people above have said, you can eat whatever you want, and still lose weight.

It's a simple formula.

If you have a caloric intake of say 2000 cal a day ( I'm just using a number I started with ) you can fit whatever food you want into that, ( burgers, hot dogs, pizza, chocolate ) as long as your daily ( or weekly if you prefer ) intake is at or less than the goal you set ( MFP helps with you having a sustainable goal and prompts you to weigh in etc )

So if you really wanted to, you could go eat 5 400 cal burgers throughout the day and still lose weight. However.. eating fast food ( and sugar and such ) does come with its own set of nasty side effects.. ( high cholesterol, diabetes, etc )

There are some really awesome people here, and some great forums; they'll help you eat what you want, and still keep within your intake.

During the week I eat healthy ( salads, fish etc ) and then during weekends I still eat within my caloric limit for the day, but I might get a sub or get a sandwich from Tim Hortons.

I've still seen a definite change though.

Also.. if you are going to go over your caloric amount for the day, but realllly want that chocolate bar, go for it. If that is the case ( and nothing wrong with that ) it might be easier for you to use a "weekly" intake, so you can put calories lower on one day, to let you satisfy your sweet tooth another day.

I'm not super social on here, but if you do want to talk/need motivation, feel free to send me a friend request. My diary is also open, so you can see what I meant, when I said " On weekends I don't eat healthy, but stick to my intake"

Good luck on your journey and I 100% believe you'll conquer this! Just remember, reach out to people here and post in forums, this community is fantastic for support and advice.

Cheers!
  • Ziggy2875
    Ziggy2875 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The diet that you pick is the one you can follow for life, because if you go back to your old eating ways you will regain the weight. can you eat a chocolate bar, like you asked above? Yes if it is in your calorie allowance, it is just that chocolate bars have a lot of calories for the amount of food you get from it. That being said the fact that I can eat the occasional chocolate bar is why counting calories works for me, the moment something is forbidden food wise I tend to want it.
    you still have to be patient because even if you stay within your calorie limits sometimes the scale doesn’t move in the way you want it, ie the thousands of threads about I have not lost weight in x amount of days that are on this forum.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Nope, no magic. No get skinny quick schemes, no genies or fairies, no super pull/diet/plan that will do what you need. Only thing you have is you, and your ability to make choices every meal, every time. It can all be very overwhelming, and trying to do it all at once is a recipe for failure.
    I suggest logging for a while, even before making any serious changes to your diet.
    Weigh (with a scale is best) everything you eat, and write why you are eating it (i.e, lunchtime, hungry, kind of bored, out with friends, watching tv) and how you are feeling right before, right after and an hour after (hungry, comfortable, normal, full, very full bloated, drowsy).
    This gives you a baseline pattern for your normal habits and routine. From there, it's just a matter of experimenting. Are you very full after dinner? Cut back on a few things. Does lunch leave you bloated and gassy after an hour, try less or no mayo, and see if there's something you don't mind dropping each meal (fries, or cheese, or maybe only 2 tacos instead of 3).It's amazing how quickly these small and easily sustainable changes will add up to big calorie cuts. Only cut one or two things at a time, until they become habit instead if trying to do everything at once. That way they become individual habits instead of one big "diet". So when you backslide you won't drop everything at once, just one or two habits, that you can fix again more easily.