Options
2»

Replies

• CopperGodess
    CopperGodess Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    What works for me:
    At 63, 3 years ago, it took me the better part of a year to figure out how to lose 30 lbs. I started by cutting back, and scale watching. I upped my exercise, then bought a scale that gave me weight body fat, skeletal, calorie needs. Still no loss. Must be portion control - started mfp. I used their suggested calories and added in extras when I exercised. I weighed food to stay honest. Still nothing. I then cut added exercise calories in half and dropped basic intake by 200 to 300. During all this time I might have lost 10 lbs. Finally, I dropped mfp calories to 1,000, added in 1/2 exercise calories and 1/4 for gardening calories (I can garden for hours). Took me 6-9 more months, but I got there.

Once at weight, I watch what I eat and use my scale every AM before breakfast and exercise 4 times a week (which I need for significant osteoarthritis). Now, because of the holidays, I need to lose about 10 lbs before a 3 week cruise - I'm back on mfp.

By nature, I'm very analytical and can be extremely detail oriented. What I learned:
    -My scale tells me I need 1350 to 1400 calories to maintain weight. Since I seem to maintain weight at about 1400 calories it appears relatively accurate. While absolute fat and skeletal are way off (dr told my my current fat is about 25% - scale says 34%) up or down trends are helpful.
    -At my age what mfp thinks I need to lose weight is just way to high. I have always used a Polar watch (now an A370) to count exercise calories. Those are always too high as well. I send info from my Polar to mfp. The other day I had 2 aerobics classes for a total of 600 calories, mfp added another 700. I adjust to 1000 calories as my base. I now subtract the mfp added calories and cut the exercise calories by 50%.
    - In 2 weeks I've lost 3lbs, fat% has gone down, skeletal up. It will take me another several weeks to get me where I need to go.
    - I'm 5'6", headed toward 135lbs. Dr says while I'll be slightly underweight, I'm healthy. Resting heart rate is mid 50's.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Nah. The scale does weird things. Did you happen to have a drink or two yesterday? Sometimes people who don't drink regularly will notice a bit of a drop the day after a couple of drinks.

No, I didn't drink yesterday. The scale is weird though.

Just a random thought given that yesterday was a big drinking day in the US. Sometimes it'll be clear to you why the scale is doing weird things (I always gain 1-2 lbs after eating pizza, no matter what kind), and sometimes it won't. My rate of loss was fairly predictable until a couple of months ago when I went from 1-2 hours of jogging a week to 3-4 hours of mixed cardio and strength training. Now it's all over the place, which can be a drag, but I just remind myself that it's the trend that matters.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I thought I had my setting on lightly active, which would include exercise in the calorie amount they give you, right?

I get an adjustment to my calories from my FitBit, and in my experience lightly active really doesn’t include much activity at all. An hour-long walk on top of normal, around-the-house activity usually brings me up to the “active” level, so I’ve recently reset to that.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Nah. The scale does weird things. Did you happen to have a drink or two yesterday? Sometimes people who don't drink regularly will notice a bit of a drop the day after a couple of drinks.

No, I didn't drink yesterday. The scale is weird though.

Just a random thought given that yesterday was a big drinking day in the US. Sometimes it'll be clear to you why the scale is doing weird things (I always gain 1-2 lbs after eating pizza, no matter what kind), and sometimes it won't. My rate of loss was fairly predictable until a couple of months ago when I went from 1-2 hours of jogging a week to 3-4 hours of mixed cardio and strength training. Now it's all over the place, which can be a drag, but I just remind myself that it's the trend that matters.

And the really funny thing that I've noticed is that for me, it's not always a next-day appearance. Sometimes it'll be two days, or sometimes it'll just ride until I have three back-to-back high sodium days, and BOOM. All things go to heck in a water retention handbasket.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options