Nutella

Options

Replies

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've never had it, and certainly i'd prefer a nut butter/chocolate combo to not have sugar and oil as the first 2 ingredients, but I dunno ... it seems fine to me, if it is within your calories, and you're meeting the rest of your micro nutrient and macro needs.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Nutella is the grossest tasting food on the planet, other than liver.

request-five.gif
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Yum! Nutella!!!

Look if it fits in calorie limit, go in peace. Unless you have a specific issue like diabetes and even then it can be incorporated.

Of course Nutella isn't as easy to fit in. It isn't celery or watermelons. Too much is not gonna fit your budget.

I am also not my friend's food police. If asked my opinion I open up MFP on my phone and talk about how foods can fit in my plan or not.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Nutella is safe. I do NOT have Nutella in my house because I cannot control my binge eating with it. That is to say, I promise myself scads of impossible cardio exercise later for a jar of Nutella and my crackers today.
  • Ebony_Kitty
    Ebony_Kitty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love Nutella so much I can't have it in the house because I lose control.
  • chanr427
    chanr427 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Another vote here for "love Nutella, but I have no self control so I don't buy it". I think if you can fit it into your calories and not continue to spoon it out of the jar (like I do), then enjoy your Nutella!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hate is too strong a word but I definitely dislike nutella. It has a gummy tar-like texture and is entirely tasteless to me.

More importantly, 1 tbsp (or 100 cals) of nutella contains 6g fat and 11g sugar. That's 54 cals fat and 44 cals sugar, which means it's 98% fat and sugar.

I'd rather eat a Snickers bar, which tastes far better, for an almost equivalent amount of fat & sugar plus an extra gram or 2 of protein when compared w/2 tbsps of nutella.

A peanut and jelly sandwich would also be an excellent caloric substitute. LOL! ;)
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    I use to have a teaspoon of it as a snack. If it fits within your calories and you like it, why not?

A teaspoon? How do you stop at one teaspoon?

Good point for a nuttelaoholic!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I think straight up frosting has the same nutritional profile. Don't kid yourself.

:D snicker...snicket :D
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Nutella is safe. I do NOT have Nutella in my house because I cannot control my binge eating with it. That is to say, I promise myself scads of impossible cardio exercise later for a jar of Nutella and my crackers today.

You are my best friend for loving Nutella, but crackers? Specifically which cracker? Must be a butter cracker cause anything else would be super weird.

Me? I'm good eating it by the spoonful. And that's why I don't buy it.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

You are my best friend for loving Nutella, but crackers? Specifically which cracker? Must be a butter cracker cause anything else would be super weird.

Nutella on pretzels is good... They are cracker like? :D
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

Nutella on pretzels is good... They are cracker like? :D

That would definitely be good because of the whole sweet plus salty thing.
  • Jadu786
    Jadu786 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hello All, thank you for your responses! Actually this friend of mine often comes to me for diet advice because I have lost weight and kept it off. I just wanted another opinion because I know what works for some people does not work for others. I myself try to go with foods that are more nutritious and will help me reach my goals. my goal now is not to lose weight, but to tone/build muscle. So I would vote to eat an apple instead of nutella - however, that's just b/c of my goals now. When I was losing weight, I wouldn't mind using calories for sweet treats! nor do I now.. I had heard nutella is super unhealthy b/c of sugar and does not have much nutritional value and just wanted to confirm if a lot of people felt the same...

I never try to judge what people eat! and I agree with everyone here, I think its important not to banish any foods from your diet. :)

Hope my explanation helps my post make a little more sense...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    it tastes like crap- so yes- stay away from it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    simi915 wrote: »
    Hello All, thank you for your responses! Actually this friend of mine often comes to me for diet advice because I have lost weight and kept it off. I just wanted another opinion because I know what works for some people does not work for others. I myself try to go with foods that are more nutritious and will help me reach my goals. my goal now is not to lose weight, but to tone/build muscle. So I would vote to eat an apple instead of nutella - however, that's just b/c of my goals now. When I was losing weight, I wouldn't mind using calories for sweet treats! nor do I now.. I had heard nutella is super unhealthy b/c of sugar and does not have much nutritional value and just wanted to confirm if a lot of people felt the same...

I never try to judge what people eat! and I agree with everyone here, I think its important not to banish any foods from your diet. :)

Sugar isn't inherently unhealthy although it's certainly possible to consume it in quantities that will keep you from meeting your other nutritional needs (this can be true of anything, including fat and protein). An apple also has sugar, but we realize it's possible to fit it into a healthy diet. Same with Nutella. At the end of the day, it's just some carbohydrate and fat with a bit of protein and some iron and calcium.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    simi915 wrote: »

As long as you are hitting your macros and eating relatively nutritious, nothing wrong with fitting in some Nutella or whatever treat you want. Especially if you are eating at maintenance/surplus you actually have more leeway since you have more calories to spend compared to when you were losing weight. It's not as if you are getting added protein from the apple or anything, unless maybe it makes you feel better. I am bulking and I would take the Nutella over the apple, or I'd dip the apple in the Nutella because I have high calorie goals to hit.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I used to think it was on the same 'level' health wise as peanut butter lol
    now I know there aren't 'unhealthy' foods, but I don't partake in it as much as before. Its fine in moderation within calorie goals.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with Nutella in moderation, but I think that your friend might be mistaken by thinking that it's healthy because it has nuts (it's really mostly sugar and oil, lol). You might want to tell her to look into hazelnut butter like Justin's, that has much less sugar and more nuts (but is nowhere as satisfying as Nutella on crepes).
  • iamabeetle
    iamabeetle Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If I wanted it, I would have it in a small quantity but as a treat.