You do you I'll do me? Is that ok or disrespectful?

Options
I have lost abou 67 lbs and was able to keep it off for 7 years with very disciplined diet and exercise. Over the last 12 months I have started to gain a lot more body fat/ less lean muscle while putting on about 6 lbs. Please hear me loud and clear I am not blaming anyone else but, do you think it is ok or disrespectful for young adult kids and husband to eat whatever the want including take out, cookies, homemade bread, ice cream when you kindly ask to please not bake this stuff right now as I am trying to get back on track and it is so tempting having it in front of me all the time??? Hubby is nearly up to 300 lbs and although he used to eat healthy and had a major weight loss he feels it is to hard and just enjoys food to much to deprive himself...His words I don't gripe about smelling your brussel sprouts and cauliflower rice so stop complaining you smell my bread, brownies and cookies! Lol

Replies

• r3488
    r3488 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My sister has her husband hide "goodies" from her so only he knows where they are and eats them.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    mcfish618 wrote: »
    do you think it is ok or disrespectful for young adult kids and husband to eat whatever the want including take out, cookies, homemade bread, ice cream when you kindly ask to please not bake this stuff right now as I am trying to get back on track and it is so tempting having it in front of me all the time???

Young kids, no, but you have control over what they have available in the house anyway.

Your husband, I think -- as others have said -- that saying he can't eat certain foods or bake bread (if baking bread is something he enjoys) or so on is obviously not appropriate BUT also that he should be open to a discussion of how to make this easier for you and if he wants the foods maybe be understanding of you too. A special spot for his sweets or eating them at work. I also think that it makes sense for a family to eat meals together (dinner, at least), so if he wants take-out maybe talk about having take-out or going out once a week or something like that (and see if there are places with options that work for you).

If he is completely not willing to adjust his actions at all, that seems kind of disrespectful, and I might wonder if he is resistant to what you are doing or feeling pressured to change his own diet or some such -- maybe worth talking about.

That said, sometimes you don't have control (my office is my biggest source of temptation and I have no control there, although I think that's not the same). newmeadow's comments are something to think about if it is going to be a tough environment at home. I do think ignoring what others eat or thinking of things as your food and their food can be useful, if necessary.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    When I go on a cut, I simply ask my wife to not have the treats that I really like in the house. I have no issue with her having treats that she likes and that I can relatively easily avoid consuming. Fortunately, she takes my wishes into consideration and tries to accommodate them/me.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    You realized your goals and have managed for many years.
    Keep doing what you did to reach your amazing statistic that so many fail at, keeping the weight off. You can only control what you do yourself. Just lead by example and maybe that will eventually rub off onto your family.

I know it isn't easy, but hang in there! I am one of the statistics who lost over half of my body weight 6 years ago on MFP, gained back 60 pounds and that is why I am back, hopefully, I can get the extra pounds off and, this time, keep them off.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    You cannot control anyone else's actions...only how you choose to react. This is true for so many things!