Water retention

Options
13»

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Just took a LONG Epsom salt bath, infused with a small amount of lavender oil (lavender essential oil was cleared by my OB in small amounts). Felt amazing on my joints and muscles. I don't really see the difference in legs but SO thinks that they don't look as bad as before the bath.

I also got a surprise gift today that I was not expecting at all. My female SO feels bad that I've been having such a hard time lately so she bought me a prenatal massage package from a place that specializes in maternity massages/is also a birthing center, so is trust worthy. It was such a nice surprise that I cried for 30 minutes.

That's so sweet! you will really enjoy that. You sound like you need it!!

I do. I'm so excited to go.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I drink dandelion tea, get in the sauna, and take a water pill. Maybe not all three.
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options

I'm not "a little" coffee person lol. When I start drinking it, I have at least 4cups a day lol.[/quote]
    emilk2016 wrote: »
    Hang in there, after you have the baby it will settle down.. walking and exercise helped me a lot and you can have a little coffee if you want it after second trimester. Sleep as much as you can.. it'll be over before you know it

Been trying to swim everyday because walking hurts myback too much. Not sure if it's helping or not, but feels good to do.

I'm not "a little" coffee person lol. When I start drinking it, I have at least 4cups a day lol.

I hear you :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I drink dandelion tea, get in the sauna, and take a water pill. Maybe not all three.

None of those are safe during pregnancy.

• ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

Technically, dandelion tea is safe during pregnancy. My doctor had no issues with me using it (especially because I get so water logged when preggo). Your doctor may not approve of it, or want you to use it, but those are separate from "not safe during pregnancy." It is commonly recommend by midwives.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

I figured. Except for the tea.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Asparagus is a natural diuretic. If you aren't already eating it, and if you enjoy it, try to work it into your meals.

When I have it as a side with meals, I'm running to the bathroom far more often than usual.

Good luck!
  • eissacf25
    eissacf25 Posts: 151 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Went back to OB because feet literally looked like they were going to burst. She checked BP (which was low) and sent me for blood work as well as a 24 hour urine catch just to rule out preeclampsia (she highly doubts it since I have had any high BP readings). She also sent me for ultrasound of the legs just to make sure it wasn't clots.

She didn't really have any suggestions other than drink a lot of fluid, elevate legs, don't sit too long, don't stand too long, wear compression socks, Epsom salt foot baths and remember that you only have ten more weeks to go lol. She did not want me to decrease sodium due to a slight electrolyte imbalance when I first found out I was pregnant, the low BP and low sodium levels the last time she did blood.

I'm at a loss. Have tried all of those and still really uncomfortable no sometimes hurts to walk. Anyone else have any suggestions we may have missed?

I hate to say it, but it probably won't go down until after you have the baby. Is this your first pregnancy? If not, did you swell with your first? Not that it really matters, each pregnancy is different. My hands swelled in the last trimester with my son so I had to wear my rings on a necklace, but with my daughter I was able to wear my rings until I went to the hospital to have her. I'm glad you ruled out all the bad stuff, I know how uncomfortable it is to be so swollen! ::hugs::

• AmandaEdwards1
    AmandaEdwards1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I lost about 20 lbs of water weight the week after I delivered. It was crazy. I still have swelling issues (I developed preeclampsia and the effects can last). I might try an epsom salt bath to see if it works. Thanks guys!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    So I'm not really into products that are "woo" or snake oil, but was just told something that I'm not sure it's woo or not. Last night I went to the store I get my essential oils from and mentioned to the girl that my legs are so full of fluid that it's killing me. She suggested I try seaweed wraps to help with the water retention. I have never heard of that before . I am familiar with the scam/snake oil wraps for cellulite, whichbis making me hesitant to believe it would actually work.

Anyone every trybthem for water retention? Did it help? Opinions on whether it is woo or true (even if you haven't tried them)?

I'm going with woo. If you stop and think about it, how would wrapping your legs in anything draw out fluids? Are they like little sponges or something that can permeate the skin layer? ;)

Seaweed wraps are a woo-filled recommendation for cellulite. Which isn't your issue anyway. :)

Hang in there - the finish line is in sight! :)

Whilst the wraps does sound very woo-ish there is a lot of stuff I've seen about using chilled white or light green cabbage leaves as a cold compress, and a cabbage is probably far cheaper than some wraps and you lose nothing by trying.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    So I'm not really into products that are "woo" or snake oil, but was just told something that I'm not sure it's woo or not. Last night I went to the store I get my essential oils from and mentioned to the girl that my legs are so full of fluid that it's killing me. She suggested I try seaweed wraps to help with the water retention. I have never heard of that before . I am familiar with the scam/snake oil wraps for cellulite, whichbis making me hesitant to believe it would actually work.

Anyone every trybthem for water retention? Did it help? Opinions on whether it is woo or true (even if you haven't tried them)?

I'm going with woo. If you stop and think about it, how would wrapping your legs in anything draw out fluids? Are they like little sponges or something that can permeate the skin layer? ;)

Seaweed wraps are a woo-filled recommendation for cellulite. Which isn't your issue anyway. :)

Hang in there - the finish line is in sight! :)

Whilst the wraps does sound very woo-ish there is a lot of stuff I've seen about using chilled white or light green cabbage leaves as a cold compress, and a cabbage is probably far cheaper than some wraps and you lose nothing by trying.

It's just another way of providing compression and hydraulic action since walking is unpleasant.

It's not going to hurt, and it will be at least as beneficial as a massage, or full length compression hose.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I had terrible oedema in late pregnancy, I looked like I had elephant legs, too. I'm afraid nothing really worked for me - though resting and elevating legs helped it not to be worse. It reversed itself after the baby was born.