Getting enough protein

Options

Replies

• MailOrderBride
    MailOrderBride Posts: 27 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Some of these responses are kinda harsh and snarky. Just trying to get input. I’m all for sarcasm, but jeez people.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    How much do you want to eat? During the week, i eat fish once a day, but otherwise all my other protein is vegetarian - I aim for, and easily get 130g.

Have you tried increasing the amount of protein foods you eat per meal? More yoghurt (I add protein powder to high protein, low fat natural yoghurt for more protein, flavour and sweetness without adding carbs). Other dairy. A bigger serve of meat.

I’d love to hear more about your veggie protein sources. I eat tons of yogurt, eggs, lentils, etc. For example, I just made Borcht, so I add Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream) for an added boost of protein.

If you eat "tons" of those things, you'd have no issue getting 78g. My first meal is eggs with vegies and Parmesan - 1 jumbo egg, 2 jumbo egg whites and 20g cheese, plus the protein from my vegies (mushrooms give a decent amount!)... I think that meal is about 30g protein?

Planning helps - I typically wouldn't have a vegetable soup as a meal as its hard to get protein in.
    You’ve never had Borcht! Not only is it meat based but you also add sour cream :) high protein as far ras soups go plus the beets and garlic are a super immune booster.

I've had borscht plenty of times, made by different people, and there has never been meat involved!.... They may have use meat based stock, but I wouldn't say that adds a decent amount of protein
  • MailOrderBride
    Options
    How much do you want to eat? During the week, i eat fish once a day, but otherwise all my other protein is vegetarian - I aim for, and easily get 130g.

Have you tried increasing the amount of protein foods you eat per meal? More yoghurt (I add protein powder to high protein, low fat natural yoghurt for more protein, flavour and sweetness without adding carbs). Other dairy. A bigger serve of meat.

I’d love to hear more about your veggie protein sources. I eat tons of yogurt, eggs, lentils, etc. For example, I just made Borcht, so I add Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream) for an added boost of protein.

If you eat "tons" of those things, you'd have no issue getting 78g. My first meal is eggs with vegies and Parmesan - 1 jumbo egg, 2 jumbo egg whites and 20g cheese, plus the protein from my vegies (mushrooms give a decent amount!)... I think that meal is about 30g protein?

Planning helps - I typically wouldn't have a vegetable soup as a meal as its hard to get protein in.
    You’ve never had Borcht! Not only is it meat based but you also add sour cream :) high protein as far ras soups go plus the beets and garlic are a super immune booster.

I've had borscht plenty of times, made by different people, and there has never been meat involved!.... They may have use meat based stock, but I wouldn't say that adds a decent amount of protein

Authentic borscht involves real broth made from chicken or beef. The meat and bones stay in the soup. That’s why it tastes so good.
  • MailOrderBride
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I don't know about any of this. I just love that your name is MailOrderBride. For that alone I will read everything you post.

That’s a lot of pressure. But I’m game.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    And to completely derail...

I've never even heard of borshch much less had it.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    It's primarily a beet soup that has hot and cold versions. There are some variations that are based on other vegetables, at least, according to Wikipedia, but the closest I've come to making one has been a 'golden borshch' with yellow beets instead of red. (Much less messy and I'm not a gourmet enough to recognize a difference in taste.)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    It's primarily a beet soup that has hot and cold versions. There are some variations that are based on other vegetables, at least, according to Wikipedia, but the closest I've come to making one has been a 'golden borshch' with yellow beets instead of red. (Much less messy and I'm not a gourmet enough to recognize a difference in taste.)

interesting- I learned something new today.

Not interested in trying it- because I don't care for beets- but least I know what it is!
  • AnotherPlate
    AnotherPlate Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Unusually shoot for 140g at the bare minimum. I never followed myfitnesspals suggested ratio. I know what satiates me best and leaves me full of energy. I also stay away from protein shakes. I'm testing to see how far protein from food can take me albeit I'll be eating slightly less as opposed to with protein shakes.
  • hellobarb
    hellobarb Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Try eating more beans and pulses- chickpeas have a great amount of protein, so do kidney beans. Also, add more seeds - flax and chia are great sources of protein, fibre and omega-3s. Just put them in a smoothie and you`re done. And quinoa is a complete protein. Honestly, the other day I had peanut butter on two slices of whole grain bread and it was 18 g of protein.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    hellobarb wrote: »
    Try eating more beans and pulses- chickpeas have a great amount of protein, so do kidney beans. Also, add more seeds - flax and chia are great sources of protein, fibre and omega-3s. Just put them in a smoothie and you`re done. And quinoa is a complete protein. Honestly, the other day I had peanut butter on two slices of whole grain bread and it was 18 g of protein.

so does chicken.
  • MailOrderBride
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

interesting- I learned something new today.

Not interested in trying it- because I don't care for beets- but least I know what it is!

Even though you’re not interested, i urge you to try it! You eat it with raw garlic and some sour cream. Amazing!! Not overly beety at all! The cold version is purely vegetarian, and more “beety”. Just cucumbers, green onion, dill and beets and kefir, perfect for summer!
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

Nuts and seeds easily carry one over fat goals if you aren't careful. Also, the complete protein thing has been pretty soundly debunked. What you are referring to is a relatively complete amino acid profile, but the average person who doesn't limit themselves to one type of protein food and eats a relatively balanced diet doesn't really have to worry about that as all but 7 amino acids can be synthesized by the human body and those 7 are easily found in almost all protein sources with the only limitations being certain plant based sources which are less "complete" than others in their amino profile. That said, even plant based sources are simple provided you eat from several protein sources.
  • hellobarb
    hellobarb Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

so does chicken.

OP mentioned they eat chicken. And other meats. Offered alternatives instead of just "more chicken"
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    How do you guys do it? My macros are 50% carbs, 25 fat and 25 protein. I can barely maje it it to 20% protein. I eat yogurt, lentils, tuna, chicken and meat, but cannot eat meat at every meal. I’m losing weight, but would like to get to where I need to be with macro goal set up by a nutritionist.

I struggle with this too, and I'm vegan. I'm finding that adding nutritional yeast to food really helps a lot. I also have a couple of scoops of plant based protein powder with almond milk in the morning.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I can get like 140g of protein in 1200 calories. It's not really that hard. Lean meats. Egg whites. But I go very low carb. Even with 1600-1800 calories I can get 160-170g of protein easily.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    protein intake has increased because research has shown that for lower caloric intake (12-1500 cal a day0 - that higher protein helps sustain muscle mass
    Yes, but some of what I'm seeing in this thread is well beyond what's actually needed for that. 150+ grams of protein for someone who has ~100-115 lbs of LBM is overkill IMO.