Can I skip cardio and just strength train?

Options

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    I don't understand such an anti-cardio bias on a "fitness" message board.

Primarily, it’s boring, and for most people, it doesn’t give the result people want. Lifting gives the results.

There are an infinite different ways to get in "cardio", it doesn't need to be mind numbing torture on a machine and its a HUGE component of overall fitness. I'll agree that many people misguidedly turn to cardio and expect results that only strength training can give, but to completely discount doing any cardio and being boastful about it as many people are, seems very short sighted.
    I completely agree. Try running up a steep hill and see how much help those deadlifts and squats will be. They'll help with leg strength, but they won't give you much cardiovascular endurance -- and in the real world, there will most likely be times when you'll need it.

I walk up stairs multiple times a day as part of my life so I'd be fine. I don't know if being generally active counts as cardio, but it's what I do. And a few months ago I ran home for fun (I am not a runner at all) and I couldn't believe how easy it was with more lower body muscle.. my legs had so much power and speed..it was like riding on top of a horse.

lol riding on top of a horse. I have an awesome image of you right now. It's very magical.

:D ... It really was magical.. I was my own unicorn :p

ahahahaha. That's what I was picturing and there is so much glitter and booty.
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am looking to loose weight but want to have a lean tone body when I finally take off the weight. I am tracking my food and eating at a deficit. I know that alone will help me loose do I need to do cardio and strength? What are the benefits/disadvantaged of doing both or wither or

I've done cardio my entire fitness life since I was about fourteen years old... And I always loved it and loved how it made me feel... That being said, I started weight training about eight or so months ago and love it a hundred times more. Same or better adrenalin, more sweat, and more defined muscles for sure compared to when I only did cardio.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Primarily, it’s boring, and for most people, it doesn’t give the result people want. Lifting gives the results.

There are an infinite different ways to get in "cardio", it doesn't need to be mind numbing torture on a machine and its a HUGE component of overall fitness. I'll agree that many people misguidedly turn to cardio and expect results that only strength training can give, but to completely discount doing any cardio and being boastful about it as many people are, seems very short sighted.
    I completely agree. Try running up a steep hill and see how much help those deadlifts and squats will be. They'll help with leg strength, but they won't give you much cardiovascular endurance -- and in the real world, there will most likely be times when you'll need it.

I walk up stairs multiple times a day as part of my life so I'd be fine. I don't know if being generally active counts as cardio, but it's what I do. And a few months ago I ran home for fun (I am not a runner at all) and I couldn't believe how easy it was with more lower body muscle.. my legs had so much power and speed..it was like riding on top of a horse.

Leg strength is certainly an important component. There are other factors too though, such as lactate threshold, hip mobility, training the central nervous system, and ensuring a lack of muscular imbalances.

A lot of people hate running, and so they say foolish things like, "I'm never going to need to do so" or "In an emergency, I'm just going to rely on adrenaline." Obviously, that's just being foolhardy. A certain amount of running is necessary for well-rounded overall functional fitness.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    If the light is about to change, I can make it across the street in time. If I need to run a few miles without stopping, I can. (Though I cannot think of one single time I have needed to run for more than 5 minutes for something).
    These situations come up all the time. One gym owner told me about how she had to run several miles after learning that there was no shuttle to take her back to her car. She had to run FAST as well to make it to this class. She wasn't a runner though, and if not for a bit of occasional treadmill work, she probably wouldn't have made it.

I once had to run through an airport carrying someone else's luggage to help her reach her flight. If I hadn't been properly conditioned, she might not have made it.

Just because these situations haven't occurred to someone yet doesn't mean that they won't. It's always best to be ready.
    I lift things EVERY DAY. Constantly. I can't think of any reason I would need to run on a daily basis.
    Nobody said it has to be daily. Very few runners do that. Some occasional running is invaluable, though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I am looking to loose weight but want to have a lean tone body when I finally take off the weight. I am tracking my food and eating at a deficit. I know that alone will help me loose do I need to do cardio and strength? What are the benefits/disadvantaged of doing both or wither or

Personally, I think both are important to your overall health and fitness. Cardio is short for cardiovascular...your heart, lungs, etc...doing cardio is really good for your cardiovascular health.

There are tons of options to choose from...way more than just droning away on a treadmill or elliptical or whatever. I primarily cycle, do some rock climbing, and enjoy a good hike in the mountains.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

If you're not worried about aerobic endurance and cardiovascular efficiency, don't do any cardiovascular work. The bonus is, nobody is going to tell you that you're wrong if you choose not to.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

Leg strength is certainly an important component.

But unless you are sprinting, not that important. Running a 4 minute mile doesn't need strong legs. Needs a very strong heart though ;)
    Running a 21 second 200 does require a lot of leg muscle!
  • southerngirl1966
    southerngirl1966 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    would a boxing class be considered "cardio" or "strength" or neither? Please be nice in your answers LOL! I signed up for this class for one year and I need to go 3 times a week to get my money's worth. I find it hard to weight train right now because I am so freaking sore. So I am wondering what I call this? TIA
  • spartan_d
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »

Leg strength is certainly an important component.

But unless you are sprinting, not that important. Running a 4 minute mile doesn't need strong legs. Needs a very strong heart though ;)
    Running a 21 second 200 does require a lot of leg muscle!
    Well, I'd add that running uphill or up stairs does benefit from greater leg strength. And of course, more strength does produce greater acceleration. You're right, though. There are more important factors, such as lactate threshold, muscular endurance, hip flexibility, cadence, and just generally developing good body dynamics.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

As a runner, I have to point out how much of an incredibly massive difference deadlifts make for preparing you for this exact scenario. But yeah- you'd need the aerobic endurance too.

This is probably not the most likely scenario for a non-cardio-person to find themselves bemoaning their lack of aerobic endurance, however. (walking up that hill, yes; climbing a flight of stairs -yes; running anywhere-probably not happening).

ETA- as far as the OP's question goes: no, cardio is not required.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

As a runner, I have to point out how much of an incredibly massive difference deadlifts make for preparing you for this exact scenario. But yeah- you'd need the aerobic endurance too.
    You're right. It would be more accurate to say that deadlifting will develop a lot of valuable posterior chain strength. The glutes are important in tackling an incline, and the hamstrings are needed in that all-important leg pull. For most people though, I daresay that cardio endurance will be their limiting factor.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »

So I'm 2:10 in and he's already talking bollocks. Do I have to waste any more time?
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »

So I'm 2:10 in and he's already talking bollocks. Do I have to waste any more time?

Nope but at same time I don’t feel the need to waste my time doing cadio.

This is one of those push button topics like functional fitness. Some believe in it enough to shout it’s glory from the mountain. Others think it’s crap or just don’t have time for it.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    If the light is about to change, I can make it across the street in time. If I need to run a few miles without stopping, I can. (Though I cannot think of one single time I have needed to run for more than 5 minutes for something).
    These situations come up all the time. One gym owner told me about how she had to run several miles after learning that there was no shuttle to take her back to her car. She had to run FAST as well to make it to this class. She wasn't a runner though, and if not for a bit of occasional treadmill work, she probably wouldn't have made it.

I once had to run through an airport carrying someone else's luggage to help her reach her flight. If I hadn't been properly conditioned, she might not have made it.

Just because these situations haven't occurred to someone yet doesn't mean that they won't. It's always best to be ready.
    I lift things EVERY DAY. Constantly. I can't think of any reason I would need to run on a daily basis.
    Nobody said it has to be daily. Very few runners do that. Some occasional running is invaluable, though.

I'm saying I NEED to lift something every day. I never need to run.
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Rule number one of the Zombie Apocalypse: CARDIO :)