Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Carbs are the cocaine of foods!

Wut?
  • sammyj19902015
    sammyj19902015 Posts: 63 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    You've received a lot of great advice from many people here and I'm sure the answers to help you achieve your goals are contained within it. That said, the following quote struck me:
    I track my calories everyday and have been well below them until yesterday which I was on my allowance

I don't know how large a calorie deficit you're on and for how long you've been dieting at this deficit but I can tell you from personal experience that prolonged dieting can mess up your metabolism and literally bring your weight loss to a screeching halt! I lost 50 lbs in 5 months on an extreme calorie deficit and then the weight loss slowed to a crawl to the point where it stopped completely even though I was still in 500 calories/day deficit. My Metabolism compensated for the extended deficit and literally put the brakes on weight loss. Still on my significant calorie deficit, it took me 4 months of zero weight loss and lots of research to realize what had happened and how to reset it. I began eating at maintenance level to even a slight surplus (10%) for about a month. Over that time I boosted my calories/day up by 1000-1500/day and gained only 5 lbs in total over the whole month. My metabolism had reset and when I went back into a moderate (20%) calorie deficit, I began losing weight again at a health and consistent rate.

The moral of this story is that calorie deficit dieting should be short term, intermittent with healthly weight maintenance eating to preserve the function of your metabolism and help you reach your goals faster.

Hope this helps, good luck!

she says
    Kept to it all last week until yesterday

I’ve actually been healthy eating/dieting for the last 12 years but still trying to find something that works for me, I’m looking for good advice not *kitten* comments which I feel I’m getting off a few of you!

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Maybe this will help. It takes 3500 calories to gain one pound of fat.

So if you crave pasta, but know that eating pasta will make you blow up like a balloon due to glycogen replenishment and the associated water weight, you can safely eat 1000 calories of pasta, or however many you can fit in your calorie budget. Then tell yourself firmly, "Now I will weigh five pounds more, according to the scale, but I know that since I only ate 1000 calories worth of pasta, the weight gain is only temporary because physics is a real thing and you can only gain a third of a pound from that many calories."

Then step off the scale and carry on. Eventually the temporary weight will go, and in the meantime you don't have to worry because you know your intake.

Build treats into your plan so you don't feel deprived and need to binge.

There are a couple of tricks I use to make myself contented with one serving of food instead of wanting to eat more.

One is to limit the amount of time I spend eating. When I'm done, I get up, and I go do something else, which doesn't allow me to eat at the same time. It's difficult to binge on pasta while taking a walk or doing Zumba. My husband is a very slow eater, and I noticed that when we eat together, I would finish and then get bored and hungry while waiting for him to finish, then have seconds to keep him company. As much as I love slow meals with conversation, my sanity required me to tell him that after a reasonable length of time, I'm out. If he wants to take an hour and a half to finish his food, he can finish by himself.

Another trick is to remind myself that I can have more tomorrow. It takes a while to make yourself really believe this, but when you get the hang of it, it really works, because it gives you something to look forward to.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ...I’ve done Cambridge diet, weightwatchers, slimming world, low carb, calorie counting and tried to healthy eat on my own so come on tell me what actually works??...

Consume less calories than you expend on a consistent, ongoing basis. It's that simple.

^ THIS
  • sammyj19902015
    Well tbh it’s quite hard to explain over a message and some answers I got were from people just not reading the question properly, thank you for all your replies but I definitely won’t be posting again :/
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Well tbh it’s quite hard to explain over a message and some answers I got were from people just not reading the question properly, thank you for all your replies but I definitely won’t be posting again :/

But will you be taking the advice you've got?
  • sammyj19902015
    Yes and no, yes the fact that I need patience and not to rush but also going to stick with staying off pasta and white bread due to the pains/bloating ect I get but not to a so low carb diet as it just doesn’t suit me
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Yes and no, yes the fact that I need patience and not to rush but also going to stick with staying off pasta and white bread due to the pains/bloating ect I get but not to a so low carb diet as it just doesn’t suit me

Low carb doesn't have to be keto or Atkins. Low carb is anything under 150g a day.