How do you beat the cravings and hunger during dieting and exercising??

Options

Replies

• bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    One of my go to snacks for when I'm super hungry is a pack of flavored tuna. It's only about 80 calories and you can get several different flavors. Hot tea at night helps me too. It adds something to my stomach and makes me feel full.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I know cravings sometimes gets us all and a lot of us have our own way of dealing with them. So I ask, How do you handle your cravings? Another question on my mind, Working out tends to increase appetite making you even more hungry during dieting. How do you manage that?

Several people have asked if you're eating back your exercise calories and I don't recall you answering that.

MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • LeaMarie8031
    LeaMarie8031 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat my calories back and if I do I only eat a small portion back. And when I asked the questions to start the discussion I was really just wondering how everyone else deals with their own issues with diet and fitness (if any). I wasn't necessarily asking for advice for myself. However, I do pay attention and learn some tips from everyone's answer.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat my calories back and if I do I only eat a small portion back. And when I asked the questions to start the discussion I was really just wondering how everyone else deals with their own issues with diet and fitness (if any). I wasn't necessarily asking for advice for myself. However, I do pay attention and learn some tips from everyone's answer.

Well there you go. You're having hunger and cravings because you're not eating enough.
  • LeaMarie8031
    Options
    I'm actually not really eating any less than I do when I'm not dieting, just different foods.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'm actually not really eating any less than I do when I'm not dieting, just different foods.

If the calories aren't less, you won't lose weight. If you are losing weight, you are in fact eating "less". Less calories.
  • LeaMarie8031
    edited February 2018
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

If the calories aren't less, you won't lose weight. If you are losing weight, you are in fact eating "less". Less calories.

I mean that I'm not eating any less than I was. I'm in fact eating more often that i was but I'm eating lower calorie foods that are healthier for me. And my weight loss is actually very slow.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    chromium picolate prevents sweet craving. eat very very very skowly...at least 20 min and 30 is better, tiny tastes to let your fullness chemistry work. i ate a banana in 25 min this morning
  • tufftre
    tufftre Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty water! work with your macros and meal prep the day before ex 500 cal per meal and and three 200 cal snacks morning afternoon and evening. Have your evening one contain protien also so it burns calories while you sleep digesting. Ex plain greek yogart with a fruit and half scoop vanilla protien powder and little granola. Have that snack hour or two before bed. Did i say drink plenty water lol. Good luck
  • LeaMarie8031
    Options
    I always try to drink plenty of water, sometimes I drink too much and it really doesn't sit well on my stomach
  • Linsyb101
    Linsyb101 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me eating 25% of caloric intake as protein. There is a way to find out how many calories this is in the app under “nutrition” and then “macros”. Protein will keep you satiated longer. I eat thins like non fat Greek yogurt, almond butter (sparingly though because it’s high in fat), chicken, beans, and edamame. I also use a plant based protein powder twice a day.
  • TriPaulCantRun
    TriPaulCantRun Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Not a hijack, hopefully helpful: I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on vitamin supplements. A friend of mine says that when he's taking them his cravings really reduce. I take one each morning (just a multi-vitamin), but don't think it makes any difference to me.
  • LeaMarie8031
    Options
    I take vitamins usually, along with my daily meds. Every Now and then I throw in some appetite curbing pills such as the popular garcinia cambogia. They actually somewhat help throughout the day but I never remember to take them for the evening
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Not a hijack, hopefully helpful: I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on vitamin supplements. A friend of mine says that when he's taking them his cravings really reduce. I take one each morning (just a multi-vitamin), but don't think it makes any difference to me.

Unless you have a medical need for a vitamin, you're just making expensive pee in most cases.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Linsyb101 wrote: »
    My trainer has me eating 25% of caloric intake as protein. There is a way to find out how many calories this is in the app under “nutrition” and then “macros”. Protein will keep you satiated longer. I eat thins like non fat Greek yogurt, almond butter (sparingly though because it’s high in fat), chicken, beans, and edamame. I also use a plant based protein powder twice a day.

protein will make some people satiated, for some its fat and for others its carbs. protein keeping you fuller is not going to be the case for everyone. it seems the more protein I eat the more I want to eat. same with higher amounts of carbs(over 200g)
  • LeaMarie8031
    Options
    Making just a few small changes. I'm no longer feeling hungry when I shouldn't and I'm not really having cravings.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

I find it almost impossible to get 100% of my daily iron from food while eating at a deficit - I made up some imaginary meals once to see if it was even possible, and if you eat nothing but liver, red meat, spinach, and raisins it's still not 100% on a 1200 calorie diet. And I tend to be anemic. So I take bifera, which is a heme plus non heme iron supplement, and now I am no longer anemic.

I've also been taking vitamin d this winter, since diabetes supposedly is associated with lower levels of vitamin d. And since I take metformin which prevents vitamin b12 absorption, I intend to have my levels checked and get a shot if necessary.

The problem with multi-vitamins is that several vitamins don't work together and some prevent the others from being absorbed. Iron and calcium, for example. Plus, some need fats to be absorbed, some work best with vitamin c... studies have found that most of a multi-vitamin ends up in your pee, plus people who take them have a higher mortality rate. Which is probably not caused by the vitamins per se, it's probably a side effect of all the doctors who say, "Take a multivitamin," when they don't have an answer for a patient with vague symptoms.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,168 Member
    Options
    Making just a few small changes. I'm no longer feeling hungry when I shouldn't and I'm not really having cravings.

That's wonderful! Do you know which strategies are working for you? (It might help others who are reading).

Getting one's eating to a point where it's reasonably satiating, satisfying and sustainable is such a huge factor in weight loss success, but I think it's under-appreciated among beginners as an issue that can be improved even at a calorie deficit.

No one with a material amount of weight to lose (even as little as 10 pounds) is gonna healthfully drop it in a week. Sustainability is vital.

I'm glad to hear you're making progress!