Less alcohol- February 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Another day without wineries (wine calories). Yay me!

And another day down. Whoot!

Great job! I love "wineries" and "menopot"!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Day 8 and loving it, I'm sleeping so well! Unfortunately, I had hoped it would help with the vertigo I've been experiencing, but apparently not - that's still there in full force.

Vertigo (dizziness) is an absolute scourge! I have had it (mostly now gone) and so many of my peers talk about it. I found these short articles somewhat helpful:

https://nyti.ms/2kd503e

https://nyti.ms/2k989Rh

PS This sort of problem is great motivation to avoid alcohol. It may be fun to get a buzz, but when the buzz won't go away, it's not fun at all.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    No negative loop of regret.

@SanDiegofitmom - what a great way to put it. That is a thing for real.
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Oh! One more thing - I sped read through This Naked Mind and Blackout, and now I don't have anything to read. I plan to reread TNM, but I want something new for now. Anybody have any good suggestions? TIA~
  • runtodayamyrun
    runtodayamyrun Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Oh! One more thing - I sped read through This Naked Mind and Blackout, and now I don't have anything to read. I plan to reread TNM, but I want something new for now. Anybody have any good suggestions? TIA~

I'm not done with the Naked Mind yet, but how about some of the books her guest on the videos wrote?
  • runtodayamyrun
    runtodayamyrun Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I’m still using the app Dry January to try my intake and keep me honest ha! I am trying to stay under the recommended 14 units a week which is like 6 glasses of wine or less a week. This helps. Also it’s fun to see the money and calories saved!
    eca39dok7o9x.png

I love it! What app is this?
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    It still baffles me that some people have never experienced a blackout. :open_mouth:

It’s been a long time- do you know about how many drinks it takes to give you a blackout? Two drinks is my happy place too. In terms of books it’s not an alcohol book but it did change my mindset and help me tremendously with anxiety — I loved Practicing the Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle - it feeds well into all of this because he teaches you to be the observer of your mind and disregard so much of the thoughts that pop up. For example, lately when I get some cravings for wine- I sort of step outside of my thought and view it and say, oh that’s just my mind wanting a drink but I - ME don’t want to drink. I can be present and disregard that thought and feeling. Sounds weird but it’s really lifechanging

I am a believe in The Power of Now. I also like to view his youtube videos when I lose my way.
    For me, I think 3-4 drinks gives me a "brownout" ; not a black out but it's when I don't remember every thing I said or did very clearly the next day.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options

Drinking: A love story ( a narrative of a writer who struggled)
    Alcohol explained (more clinical take on alcohol and the brain, but it's not a boring book. )
    Both samples can be downloaded onto your kindle if you want to read a few chapters.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,553 Member
    Options
    It still baffles me that some people have never experienced a blackout. :open_mouth:

I guess I am not really understanding what your experience of blackout is. I have had too much to drink at times and passed out. Or to much to drink and don't recall the entire evenings events. Is either of those what you mean? :/
  • MiaKonrad
    MiaKonrad Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well, it's already Feb. 8 but I'm in from here on out! Happy to have found this group.