Oatmeal

Options
12346»

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is expensive! I just bought a bag of tiny apples, 25 cents each, and a perfect size for a bowl of oatmeal, if you love apples, and I do!
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Ah, expensive berries is a bummer.

Everything is expensive where I am. It's cheaper than NYC, but not by much. When people talk about the .99 dozen eggs on here and spending $100 a month on groceries, I cannot relate.
  • LaurenD63
    LaurenD63 Posts: 57 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    When I have plain oatmeal, I add 1 banana and a box of raisins to sweeten it, and I add nuts like walnuts or pecans to give it a crunch. It can add up in calories but it's very healthy and keeps you full.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Wait?! you mean there are places where frozen blueberries aren't $6+/bag?
  • ritzvin
    edited February 2018
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Ah, expensive berries is a bummer.

Everything is expensive where I am. It's cheaper than NYC, but not by much. When people talk about the .99 dozen eggs on here and spending $100 a month on groceries, I cannot relate.

Buffalo, NY here. I can relate to the (eta: sometimes) 99 cent/dozen eggs at the discount grocery and $100/mo on groceries would probably be do-able if not picky and willing to go with a bit less than the optimal protein level; but yeah- I don't think I've ever seen frozen blueberries for $6 or less per bag. Aldi's does have some small bags of frozen strawberries, peaches, raspberries that I saw last time around for $3-4 though (you can bet I stuffed a whole bunch of those in my shopping bag).
  • ritzvin
    Options
    however- I can fully appreciate that today's glorious technology and logistics means that a $6-10 bag of blueberries is indeed available to be purchased in Buffalo in February (which, to my mind, is something to be appreciated even if not remotely in the food budget).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Usually I can get them like 2/5 or 2/7 frozen- I buy them fresh when appropriate- but it's usually cheaper and more economic for me to buy frozen because I usually either eat them ALL at once- or I Try to parcel them out- and they go bad.
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    I use cinnamon and honey in my oatmeal.
  • 2GetFit2018
    2GetFit2018 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You can try a tablespoon of PBFIT adds only 25 calories
  • ChaBoiAustin
    ChaBoiAustin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I usually add sugar free syrup or a small amount of light brown sugar. Also, if you're okay with the extra carbs, sliced bananas are a great addition.
  • suzelle4
    suzelle4 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Apples chop into little bits, great replacement for sugar. Also, raw honey instead of sugar, but use less honey than you would sugar, it seems sweeter!
  • WMLizard
    WMLizard Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't regularly add butter to my oatmeal, but I have done it in the past - mostly because no matter how much cinnamon I dumped in plain oatmeal, I could never taste it. A little bit of butter though and BAM! the flavor comes out. Now I typically use fruit and no spices, so the butter isn't necessary.
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I started watching my portions more so I could still enjoy oatmeal.
    Now I eat 1/4 cup dry steel cut oats cooked in 3/4 cup water and a bit of salt (makes 1/2 cup cooked.)
    I add a teaspoon of raw maple syrup, and one table spoon half and half.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Wait?! you mean there are places where frozen blueberries aren't $6+/bag?

You can find them (365 brand) for $2.99 here (12 oz) at WF or local mainstream chain, and about 4 lb for $12 at local mainstream chain.

I buy so many frozen berries in the winter.
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I like my oatmeal savory. Grilled veggies and nutritional yeast is the BOMB... it's also good with hummus and black pepper.
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Also, you can try adding some pureed pumpkin and a little agave syrup or maple syrup or molasses if you want sweet oatmeal
  • wilmamy
    wilmamy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I usually do either 1/4 cup or 1/3 cup old fashioned oats with twicw as much water kn the microwave for 3.5 minutes ay 50% power. Then i eat it one of two ways:

1. Add 1 Tbsp chopped walnuts, 1/3 cup blueberries, 1 packet of Splenda, splash of almond milk
    2. Add 1 Tbsp chopped walnuts, 1/4 cup canned pumpkin (not canned pumpkin pie filling), 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice.

Yummy!
  • suzelle4
    suzelle4 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is going to be for lunch today! Got to craving stir fry veggies and noodles, so that was breakfast! Makes it kinda fun for me too, switching it around.