Am I doing Keto the right way

Options
I am just starting out and have a horrible headache. Are my percentages low enough? Carbs 13% fats 70% and protein 18% .its not always like this but I just don’t know if I am eating enough of fats

Replies

• goalsforever03
    goalsforever03 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I messed up ! For today my protein is 13% and carbs are 18%
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    keto flu...you need to super bump your sodium up
  • goalsforever03
    Options
    My sodium is 2887mg .. not enough ??
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My sodium is 2887mg .. not enough ??

I don't do keto, but I know some here say they're eating around double the RDA...like 4,000-5,000 mg
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I keep my net carbs between 5-10% of my calories, so you might be in the zone depending on how many of your carbs are accounted for by fiber. (Total carbs - fiber) x 4 should be under 10% of your total kcals; people go lower but that’s enough to keep me in ketosis.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, keto flu -- sodium may help, but sometime you have to just get through it. You didn't cut caffeine or anything at the same time, did you?

Check out this group for great advice: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Regarding your macros, depends on total calories, but I peeked at your diary for the last couple of days and the protein is REALLY low. No reason to lower protein on keto, with a 1200 cal goal (which might be too low too, depending on stats), I'd think around 25% or 30% might be better, but certainly more than what you have now.

Carbs below 50 g is low enough, but you got almost all of them in the one snack which might be an issue (ask in the group) and also might make it harder overall. I'd also change your diary to show fiber and probably try to get sources of carbs that contribute fiber (like vegetables).

Until that snack, your calorie totals were really low, and yesterday with the same snack they were way low. I think undereating can contribute to headaches and such.
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I keep my net carbs between 5-10% of my calories, so you might be in the zone depending on how many of your carbs are accounted for by fiber. (Total carbs - fiber) x 4 should be under 10% of your total kcals; people go lower but that’s enough to keep me in ketosis.

I actually found that higher was okay. I saw recs for 10-15% and also for under 50 g net, and I figured what should be relevant is TDEE (since you make up the deficit with the fat from your body). My TDEE is around 2000 (if moderately active), so I figured 10-15% was also consistent with about 50 g net. To be conservative I set my numbers based on 60 g total, aiming for 35 g net, and was in ketosis. (When dieting I do about 1500 cal, so that was 60 g carbs (total, not net -- averages to 15%, although I watched grams, not percentage), 100 g protein (about 25%, but same), and then the remainder (60%) for fat.)

I spelled all that out for OP, not you, just in case it was helpful additional information. ;-)
  • goalsforever03
    Options
    Thank you! I just wasn’t sure how low I needed to go . I am bad with my snacks so will try to add more veggies
  • goalsforever03
    Options
    Oh and I am so thirsty is this normal ? I hate peeing so much !!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    The group is good for advice on low carb/keto snacks too. They can be really good.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    How many grams of carbs is that?

Regardless of that answer, I'm sure it is keto flu. You need to track sodium just like you do macros. 5,000mg of sodium daily should be your bare minimum. On days when you are sweating, you need even more.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Why are your carbs and protein set at zero? Check out the group linked above. Keto can be helpful as a weightloss strategy for some, but just like any other diet, you do need to be careful that your body is getting the needed nutrition. Please do some more research and be safe.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options

In your diary looks like you've set it for low-carb, low-fat now. That's difficult stuff there. Keto is higher fat than that. And you are undereating. Check out the groups if you haven't already. Also, read reddit Keto's FAQ. https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    In your diary looks like you've set it for low-carb, low-fat now. That's difficult stuff there. Keto is higher fat than that. And you are undereating. Check out the groups if you haven't already. Also, read reddit Keto's FAQ. https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

I didn't look at the diary, but that sounds like a PSMF diet... low carb, low fat, moderate to high protein depending on activity type and level. I've done it, but it should be short term. Also, it is not really for someone who isn't very knowledgeable. If OP is not familiar with keto flu and electrolyte needs with keto, then it is reasonable to say PSMF is too advanced.
  • baconslave
    Options

I didn't look at the diary, but that sounds like a PSMF diet... low carb, low fat, moderate to high protein depending on activity type and level. I've done it, but it should be short term. Also, it is not really for someone who isn't very knowledgeable. If OP is not familiar with keto flu and electrolyte needs with keto, then it is reasonable to say PSMF is too advanced.

Absolutely agree.
  • slynnkie
    slynnkie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Find your lean body mass in pounds using an online calculator. Multiply that by .6 for low activity, .8 for medium activity, 1 for high activity, and that number will be your protein in grams YOU NEED to replenish your cellular structures in your body. Try to eat no more 25-35 grams of net carbs per day, hopefully coming from a nutritious plant source of low glycemic fruit (blueberries avocados, ) and leafy greens.

Next, you need to determine your caloric needs based on your weight goals. Every 10 pounds you loose you may need to readjust. 100-140 calories are your carbs. The next important is your protein (multiply your protein grams by 4 to get those calories). The rest of the calories you can eat are your fat calories.

Electrolytes like calcium, potassium, magnesium and sodium are necessary to prevent you from feeling sick. Your body will flush a lot of water, you will feel thirsty. You need to replace these.
    Eat cocao nibs or paste for magnesium, one daily avocado towards potassium, Himalayan or sea salt for sodium, and make sure you take a calcium supplement (and vitamin d3).

You need to double sodium intake!

Eat sardines for omega 3s and calcium.

Eat grass fed beef when you can afford so that the omega 3 to omega 6 ratio is balanced.

Eat 3-8 cups leafy greens for fiber and vitamins.

You will feel less like crap.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

And low protein. OP is not doing PSMF, OP doesn't even really know what keto is so the chances of them knowing what PSMF is and executing it appropriately are probably close to nil. She's just flat out undereating all macros.

OP has also now closed her diary so I guess didn't like the answers.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
  • baconslave
    edited February 2018
    Options

And low protein. OP is not doing PSMF, OP doesn't even really know what keto is so the chances of them knowing what PSMF is and executing it appropriately are probably close to nil. She's just flat out undereating all macros.

OP has also now closed her diary so I guess didn't like the answers.

well when I peeked, Fat was set at 33g and protein was set at 195g, and carbs 30gish.
    Wasn't even getting close to her calorie goal which was 1200, IIRC.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP, since you seem a little unclear on how to successfully follow a ketogenic diet, maybe it would be worth taking a step back and exploring WHY you wanted to do Keto? Are you trying to manage a medical condition? Are you focused on weight loss? What are your ultimate goals?