My dog just passed away.

It was so unexpected, I’ve been doing so well and all I want at the moment is chocolate and tissues. I have to keep strong. I am waiting for the sun to come up so that I can go for a walk. But I’ve been up with her all night and she passed around 2am. We had taken her to the vet THREE times and each time they sent her home after we explained how sick she was. I just don’t understand. How do you cope? She was like a child to us!

Replies

• WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Sorry to hear that. Condolences.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    I'm so sorry. Sending hugs. :(
  • RollTideHusker
    RollTideHusker Posts: 231 Member
    I’m so very sorry :'( It’s never easy to lose a furry child. Several years ago, I had to put my kitty to sleep. He’d been with me about 12 years. Just take your time to grieve, cry, and start to heal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I'm so sorry :( We're getting there with our 13yo dog.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    I understand your pain all too well and am so sorry you're feeling it now. It truly sucks but it will lessen with time. I wish I could offer more words of comfort than that.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I am so very sorry for your loss, I know you are heart broken. :heartbreak: Our four legged fur babies are just like our children is so many ways. I went through a sudden loss like this several years back, its okay to be sad and miss your baby, she was part of you.

Try to get some sleep and give yourself some time to heal and grieve. <3
  • dwrightlaw
    dwrightlaw Posts: 804 Member
    I'm sorry
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    If you feel like eating, go have a lie down and a good cry. Try not to turn to food to cope. Run full bore until you have to stop for breath. Work your frustrations and anger out on a heavy bag. Something to channel that grief and those pent up feelings of loss. Let it go, mourn, cry. Allow yourself to feel the sadness. No need to try and heal with food. The healing process will begin with or without food. The food will just add to your despair by sabotaging your fitness journey.

I lost one of my dogs in 2012. He was the last tangible piece of my father I had left. The one last good thing he gave me. When we had to let Kaiser go at only 6-years old, I thought I would die from the crying. Great heaving sobs to the point of nausea. Yeah, it was bad. And I had lost 80 lbs by that point. And for some reason, I felt that losing my baby was enough reason to give up on myself, to eat without caring what I put in my mouth. It wasn’t. It should have been a reason to keep fighting to stay healthy, but I just gave up. So don’t do that. Give yourself time to mourn and reach out to people for support in helping you through it. But don’t reach for food.
  • W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    I am so very sorry for your loss, this' the most difficult part concerning loving pets' unlike children; there's always the expectation of us living longer than them.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited February 2018
    I'm sorry for your loss.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    It was so unexpected, I’ve been doing so well and all I want at the moment is chocolate and tissues. I have to keep strong. I am waiting for the sun to come up so that I can go for a walk. But I’ve been up with her all night and she passed around 2am. We had taken her to the vet THREE times and each time they sent her home after we explained how sick she was. I just don’t understand. How do you cope? She was like a child to us!

Awwww, sorry for your loss. I feel ya.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    I'm so sorry
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    @saraorozco0826
    Oh, I'm so sorry! I know all about those feelings. It's very difficult to lose a furry family member.
    Over the years our animals have been our kids too. It's heartbreaking to lose them and honestly it never goes away, that sadness. It does get a bit easier as time goes on. Animals love you no matter what, they just want to be loved too. Bonds with fur kids are a very special and unique thing. Again, so sorry about your dog. :cry:
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    My deepest sympathy on your loss.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    I'm so sorry for your loss.