Just ate a whole bar of chocolate

Options

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »
    Eating a chocolate bar for dinner would be a disruption to my eating plan... :o if I had scarfed my own weight in chocolate I would not consider it dinner, I'd blush, log it, and have a meal anyway.

Take seriously the others all telling you that your calorie goal may be too low, as well, that's a very common mistake to make.

But I'm not hungry now 670 calories is around about what I would normally eat for my evening meal

It's fine if you're not hungry, but unfortunately the # of calories consumed doesn't always equate to fullness. A chocolate bar isn't a lot of volume. Don't feel bad if you need a snack later.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I just checked your site...it seemed accurate for me, maybe you typoed? I checked your stats as well, ant they don't match up to your numbers mentioned above)

FWIW, scales are notoriously incorrect for measuring bodyfat %. I'd ignore that entry completely and just calculate based on the stats you know are true. (Age/height/current weight/activity level)
    Removing the bodyfat%, it also calculates your TDEE at the 1900ish mark.

Honestly, I'd go back and reset your totals and goals.

Otherwise, I'm at a loss.

No idea what is going on but I just reloaded the page and got 1901 as my tdee :/ BMR 1584 suggested Cal's for weight loss 1426

You're choosing sedentary. We've been over this. You're not sedentary.

OP- TDEE calculators typically include your exercise in your activity setting, MFP does not. You add it in separately on a day-by-day basis.
  • MommyonAmissontoHealth13
    Options
    Do not down yourself too much! this is a roller coaster of a Journey! One bump in the road does not have to derail you. pick yourself up and continue you on with it, your amazing.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I just checked your site...it seemed accurate for me, maybe you typoed? I checked your stats as well, ant they don't match up to your numbers mentioned above)

FWIW, scales are notoriously incorrect for measuring bodyfat %. I'd ignore that entry completely and just calculate based on the stats you know are true. (Age/height/current weight/activity level)

No idea what is going on but I just reloaded the page and got 1901 as my tdee :/ BMR 1584 suggested Cal's for weight loss 1426

Ok, so that's based on a 1lb/week deficit.
    Change to 1/2 pound for now until you get over the hump of adjusting to eating less and then readjust when you're feeling more comfortable with the change.
    Also, you could add in some cardio through the week to up your calories, especially when you have special stuff coming up next week!
    Have a good remainder of your day. You'll get there.

I thought you shouldn't eat under BMR ? :/
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options

Ok, so that's based on a 1lb/week deficit.
    Change to 1/2 pound for now until you get over the hump of adjusting to eating less and then readjust when you're feeling more comfortable with the change.
    Also, you could add in some cardio through the week to up your calories, especially when you have special stuff coming up next week!
    Have a good remainder of your day. You'll get there.

I thought you shouldn't eat under BMR ? :/

For short term loss goals, it is fine to go under BMR.
  • franrs2017
    franrs2017 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It is hard... just log it and move on if you can. I also think saying it "out loud" out here helps. Don't be too hard on yourself. Sometimes if we ignore a strong craving - at least for me - then I tumble down the hill. Hang in there!!
  • angelsja
    Options
    Do not down yourself too much! this is a roller coaster of a Journey! One bump in the road does not have to derail you. pick yourself up and continue you on with it, your amazing.

Thank you you have no idea how nice that is to read
  • angelsja
    Options
    Bmr is 1584 suggested calories for weight loss are 1426
  • theresa961
    theresa961 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    LOG IT, OWN IT! Tomorrow is another day. This is a lifetime journey to health. Believe me, I have had many a "chocolate day". I log every bite and move on. By the way. Keep on moving! You are doing great!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Yes iam stressing i know I can keep the weight off once it's off as I know where I went wrong the last time I just have no bloody will power ...

A number of candy bars I've eaten have had around 200 calories. There are 3500 calories in a pound of fat; that's 3500/200 = 17.5 candy bars to gain a pound of fat.

It wasn't one candy bar caused you to go wrong the last time, it was a lot of candy bars.

If you're going to have a candy bar, or bowl of ice cream, or whatever, enjoy it and move on. It's not going to kill your diet. Do what you need to do to control your input -- I don't keep ice cream or candy in the house very often, because I know I might tend to eat too much of it. If I want a candy bar, I go out and have one, with zero guilt.
  • angelsja
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    OP is calculating a tdee with a sedentary multiplier of 1.2 which is suitable for someone who moves enough to provide self care (bathroom, couch, back).

Then hitting that with an aggressive goal.

Here is the thing OP.

You are overweight; not obese. Your health absent comorbidities is in the ALERT and NOT non the danger zone.

You have two options here. You can try to continue as you're doing now. From the sounds of it you're going to last weeks continuing to white knuckle things. You're certainly not going to last the months it will take to get to where you need to be.

I don't give a rat's **kitten** what your friend told you about eating half a pudding. Not only that, but I would also call mean girl competitive BS on that with her showing off that she can "diet" better than you. You girls are weird that way: at least us guys compete about how much MORE we can eat! :smiley:

OK. So. Stop comparing. And stop trying to do this in one day. Cause it ain't happening.

Your activity level is Ill selected if you're not eating all exercise calories on top. Other than your walk to school do you do anything else during the day? Are you able to throw another walk in there during lunch hour? Why are your weight sessions not too strenuous? Lack of energy due to not eating enough? I mean why bother going all the way to the gym and not giving it your all while there? You may want to look into a structured program and cut down on the times per week (from 5 to 2 or 3 since you will be in a bit of pain) and go for a walk on the treadmill during the "rest" days... Instant activity increase.

Between your birthday and all this happening switch to maintenance for the next week and at the end of the week take a deep breath and cut no more than 20% of off your tdee. In your case there is no way that based on your fat level and activity level that you can reliably support even a lb a week target. So that's your outside high rate.

Then look at your day and at your normal eating as you log it and make some decisions as to what you can or cannot eat and how much.

You keep talking about take-away so I assume you're at work most of the day. Maybe with your husband's help you can meal prep on the weekend for two or three days of the week reducing some of the take aways. Maybe you can choose different items at the take away.

You say that you know what went wrong with maintenance. Do you? If you're ready to maintain right now, why are you so scared (in your birthday thread) to spend a week at maintenance?

If you *know* how to maintain, all you have to do to lose weight is cut 250 Cal a day.

That is a lunch time walk and a couple of smarter choices for a year and ~25lbs.

You don't *have* to make it difficult.

And even if you don't know how to maintain (which I strongly suspect is the case), going at it slowly and developing new ways of eating and moving are key to getting anywhere.

Look: takeway will be there for the next 20 years. If your family is in the habit of eating it every day you WILL HAVE TO FIGURE OUT how to deal with this on an ongoing basis.

I go to McDonald's several times a day. You read it right. McDonald's, Tim Horton's, Wendy's and Starbucks. There's even days with all four. It doesn't mean I eat anything and everything there, right?

So deep breath. Stop flailing around and despairing. Slow down. Be a duck with failure and focus on your next appropriate action.

Punishing your failure or making things too hard by skipping tea because you had a chocolate is not correct. Evaluating whether you can legitimately have a slightly lighter tea because you're not as hungry after eating that chocolate IS correct. And if you ARE truly that hungry after eating it (and not just seeking hedonistic pleasure from continuing to eat) then your deficit is counterproductively high.

Evaluate your weight using a trending weight application and a trend that extends 4 to 6 weeks as hormonal water weight fluctuations could make seeing your progress quite difficult when focused on day to day weigh ins.

Take care, and I hope you have a nice and stress free birthday!

Lots of info to reply to here so first I don't work I follow a 30day calendar every month for workouts I can hold a convo through it if needs be everyday is different depending on what is scedueled I walk 3miles everyday I don't work I cook healthy meals for the family I don't keep talking about takeaway only with my birthday coming up and my partner mentioning it tonight as we have been out for the day and not had time to cook I was worried about switching to maintenance as I haven't reached goal weight yet I went wrong last time by just eating everything and not tracking at all letting one bad day derail me into a bad month bad months now iam tracking even the "bad" stuff which I never did before
  • angelsja
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    OP is calculating a tdee with a sedentary multiplier of 1.2 which is suitable for someone who moves enough to provide self care (bathroom, couch, back).

Then hitting that with an aggressive goal.

Here is the thing OP.

You are overweight; not obese. Your health absent comorbidities is in the ALERT and NOT non the danger zone.

You have two options here. You can try to continue as you're doing now. From the sounds of it you're going to last weeks continuing to white knuckle things. You're certainly not going to last the months it will take to get to where you need to be.

I don't give a rat's **kitten** what your friend told you about eating half a pudding. Not only that, but I would also call mean girl competitive BS on that with her showing off that she can "diet" better than you. You girls are weird that way: at least us guys compete about how much MORE we can eat! :smiley:

OK. So. Stop comparing. And stop trying to do this in one day. Cause it ain't happening.

Your activity level is Ill selected if you're not eating all exercise calories on top. Other than your walk to school do you do anything else during the day? Are you able to throw another walk in there during lunch hour? Why are your weight sessions not too strenuous? Lack of energy due to not eating enough? I mean why bother going all the way to the gym and not giving it your all while there? You may want to look into a structured program and cut down on the times per week (from 5 to 2 or 3 since you will be in a bit of pain) and go for a walk on the treadmill during the "rest" days... Instant activity increase.

Between your birthday and all this happening switch to maintenance for the next week and at the end of the week take a deep breath and cut no more than 20% of off your tdee. In your case there is no way that based on your fat level and activity level that you can reliably support even a lb a week target. So that's your outside high rate.

Then look at your day and at your normal eating as you log it and make some decisions as to what you can or cannot eat and how much.

You keep talking about take-away so I assume you're at work most of the day. Maybe with your husband's help you can meal prep on the weekend for two or three days of the week reducing some of the take aways. Maybe you can choose different items at the take away.

You say that you know what went wrong with maintenance. Do you? If you're ready to maintain right now, why are you so scared (in your birthday thread) to spend a week at maintenance?

If you *know* how to maintain, all you have to do to lose weight is cut 250 Cal a day.

That is a lunch time walk and a couple of smarter choices for a year and ~25lbs.

You don't *have* to make it difficult.

And even if you don't know how to maintain (which I strongly suspect is the case), going at it slowly and developing new ways of eating and moving are key to getting anywhere.

Look: takeway will be there for the next 20 years. If your family is in the habit of eating it every day you WILL HAVE TO FIGURE OUT how to deal with this on an ongoing basis.

I go to McDonald's several times a day. You read it right. McDonald's, Tim Horton's, Wendy's and Starbucks. There's even days with all four. It doesn't mean I eat anything and everything there, right?

So deep breath. Stop flailing around and despairing. Slow down. Be a duck with failure and focus on your next appropriate action.

Punishing your failure or making things too hard by skipping tea because you had a chocolate is not correct. Evaluating whether you can legitimately have a slightly lighter tea because you're not as hungry after eating that chocolate IS correct. And if you ARE truly that hungry after eating it (and not just seeking hedonistic pleasure from continuing to eat) then your deficit is counterproductively high.

Evaluate your weight using a trending weight application and a trend that extends 4 to 6 weeks as hormonal water weight fluctuations could make seeing your progress quite difficult when focused on day to day weigh ins.

Take care, and I hope you have a nice and stress free birthday!

Don't understand the bold bit and my friend wasn't trying to compete with me it was just a conversation we were having
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Thinking about this again the calories do puzzle me. I'm 5'4", around 185lb, at sedentary my NEAT is around 1850, so my TDEE is definitely over 2000.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,595 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    To the bold being confusing a couple of posts up.

We tend to think: "I want to lose a lb a week" now what do I have to do to get that result.

This is a little bit **kitten** backwards.

A least problems/fastest results deficit for a person in the overweight category (i.e. with less fat availability than the one typically seen in an obese individual) is in the range of 15% to 20% deficit from actual tdee.

Since you claim that your tdee is in the sub 2k range it follows that your maximum "best results" deficit would be around 400 Cal.

The problem when aiming for slow loss is that it is hard to judge and see results so that you can adjust your eating up or down, as you should, based on your actual results.

Hence the usual recommendation to judge results based on trending (not scale) weight over a period of 4 to 6 weeks.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I have around 22 pounds to lose but ultimately 36 in total the thing is I have no idea whether to set my activity level to sedentary or lightly active there is around a 300cal difference I workout with weight 5 day's a week but not strenuously I can hold a conversation I also walk Mon to Fri doing the school run which is around 30min round trip at a relatively slow pace my sedentary tdee is around 1700 my lightly active one is just over 2000

You are not sedentary. Sedentary folks don't move around so much. At the least you are in the light activity range.