why were people so skinny in the 70s?

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    ljmorgi wrote: »
    How come GMOs are only supposed to make us magically fat and not, like, magically have superpowers?

Because if they gave us superpowers then we couldn't refer to Mosanto and their ilk as the 'evil empire' any more... duh!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,097 Member
    As someone around in the 70s I would say they were not skinny. Yes, overall population wise they were less fat, but there we still many people who were overweight. Most others have touched on why, but basically, between the 1950-60s and the 2010s there have been huge changes culturally that have largely contributed to the increase in obesity today. It was already a developing issue in the 1970s though.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    cocaine
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2018
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I was in high school in the 70's and very active with school - debate, drama and other clubs. Played D&D on the weekends with friends, played football/softball with friends also. I ate fast food as often as I ate home cooked meals - mom had a strict policy of be at the table when I serve food or fend for yourself. Graduated high school weighing 150 lbs (at 5' 8" so right in the BMI range). The difference between then and now - activity, plain and simple.
    Same. I was skinny as a rail in high school and couldn't gain weight even though I was trying to do so. I played sports year-round (football in the fall, basketball in the winter, track&field and spring football in the spring, summer league basketball and football training in the summer). I also raced bicycles, rode dirt bikes (motorcycles) on the weekends and played street football or pickup basketball apart from all the school sports. About the only time I sat still was during classes (and I was still constantly fidgeting) or when I came in the house at night to sleep.

I ate plenty of fast food, candy, sodas, etc. and my mom cooked a lot of what's called "comfort foods" nowadays. I was almost like a circus act with how much food I could eat, it was off the charts - but so were my activity levels.
  • More active (no internet/smartphones/video games), less sugar/processed food stuff, more homecooked meals, little to no fast food, oh and drugs lol
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    I was 12 in 1970, so remember them well. I think it was due to activity level. I can remember 'going for a walk' for entertainment nearly every day during good weather. The school bus stopped 1/4 mile away, not right in front of the house like they do now.

My dad was a sales manager for a cookie company, so we always had cookies in the house, and it was acceptable to eat cookies for breakfast. Mom cooked from scratch most days, but we always had dessert for supper, even of it was Jello or instant pudding. Soda and chips were a treat reserved for Saturday nights.

When I turned 15, I got a job at Dunkin Donuts and ate 5-6 donuts every week. I was still thin, cause I was always moving. Same when I got a job at McD's and ate there 3-4 times a week. My parents were pretty active, but had a bit of pudge, that would be considered average size now.

It wasn't until I grew up, started working in an office, drinking beer followed by eating whatever I wanted that I had a weight problem.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Where did people live that there was less processed food and no fast food? Processed food really took off in the 50s after WWII...so did fast food.

My mom did prepare some meals from scratch certainly...but I recall eating a fair amount of mac 'n cheese, hamburger helper, wonder bread, bologna, and cream of whatever condensed soup in numerous "home cooked" meals. My dad was a potato chip fiend...and when he had to feed me because mom was gone, it was usually a slice of wonder bread with beans and weenies on top with a side of chips.

We had more than several McDonalds, Wendy's, A&W, Long John Silvers, Burger King...just to name a few.

My mom was single in the mid to late 70s and she told me that she ate cottage cheese and Tang for breakfast each morning, a peanut butter sandwich on white bread for lunch, and either a sloppy joe or a hot dog for dinner each night. For fruit and vegetables, she says she would sometimes have carrots or an apple but not daily. She didn't get interested in nutrition until she had kids. She also didn't like spending money on food -- her "splurge" was an orange soda.

• brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited February 2018
    I was not born in the 70's but thought this was an interesting anecdote: My Grandma Ruby was poor growing up. Later in life, she always looked the same in every picture as in same weight (not heavy, but not skinny). She specifically wouldn't eat baked potatoes "because they weren't poor" and a few other things - but I can't remember what. Her and my Grandpa ran a farm, so they were relatively in great shape albeit a little bit more to love. Every meal was a feast, from the years I remember, and I think it just stemmed from Grandma Ruby not wanting to appear poor.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Where did people live that there was less processed food and no fast food? Processed food really took off in the 50s after WWII...so did fast food.

My mom did prepare some meals from scratch certainly...but I recall eating a fair amount of mac 'n cheese, hamburger helper, wonder bread, bologna, and cream of whatever condensed soup in numerous "home cooked" meals. My dad was a potato chip fiend...and when he had to feed me because mom was gone, it was usually a slice of wonder bread with beans and weenies on top with a side of chips.

We had more than several McDonalds, Wendy's, A&W, Long John Silvers, Burger King...just to name a few.

My mom was single in the mid to late 70s and she told me that she ate cottage cheese and Tang for breakfast each morning, a peanut butter sandwich on white bread for lunch, and either a sloppy joe or a hot dog for dinner each night. For fruit and vegetables, she says she would sometimes have carrots or an apple but not daily. She didn't get interested in nutrition until she had kids. She also didn't like spending money on food -- her "splurge" was an orange soda.

Ah, Tang! <3 Just like the astronauts. Gosh I loved that stuff!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    kimcalica wrote: »
    It’s possible people ate more full fat foods. I’ve been studying Keto and that’s a thought I recently had.

That would only be a factor if carbs weren't also eaten. But they were.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Ah, Tang! <3 Just like the astronauts. Gosh I loved that stuff!

We had it in early childhood until my mom got waaaay into nutrition and banished it. I had it a few years ago and it just didn't taste like I remembered, but I figure the change was me. I loved it too!