Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    juvier wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    juvier wrote: »
    I will join the Lent challenge. I believe the way some Catholics observe Lent is that on Ash Wednesday (Feb 14) and every Friday until Good Friday (March 30) they abstain from meat (pork, beef, and sometimes chicken), and also fast on those same days. Those who are able can totally abstain from meat for the whole duration. My challenge will be a take on this, which is to limit myself to have meat at just one meal a day. On Ash Wednesday, and every Friday until Good Friday, I will not have any meat at all in my meals. Much as I like veggies, I confess I like too the tenderloin, ribs, brisket, picadillo, oxtail, peameal bacon, sausage, ham, name it.

Close. Ash Wednesday and Good Fridays are fast days, although required Catholic fasts these days are pretty easy and not really fasts -- no meat, eat only one meal, and you can have two snacks at the times of the other meals but they can't add up to a full meal. If able (health-wise), you are encouraged to do more. I actually dislike this wimpy fast and try to do a full fast (I'm Catholic).

In the old days, the reason for things like Shrove Tuesday/Fat Tuesday/Paczki Day (as it is today in Chicago) ;-) was that you would not be eating meat or animal products (although fish was permitted some places -- the Latin word for meat/flesh is distinct from that for fish). Anyway, as a result you'd be using up dairy and eggs.

The current Orthodox Christian fast is basically like that (my Greek friend always tells me how much more serious their Lent is). ;-) Catholics, though, just avoid meat on Fridays -- fish is fine, but it's really not in the spirit if you have a lobster dinner, it's supposed to be simple, cheaper (save the money saved and give it to charity is one common practice), plain, a sacrifice.

Since I eat vegetarian a lot and have for years, I tend to make it an all Lent thing so that it's a noticeable difference, and then do something else to make Fridays distinct (usually not food related, but going to morning mass or something).

In addition to the required food things (which are basically easy these days, but I like them because they are at least something to make the season distinct that Catholics (in theory) all do in common), we are encouraged to choose a sacrifice or discipline for the season, giving up something (something you will miss) or, in the alternative, adding in something (which equates to a sacrifice of time). It's supposed to be something that will be spiritually meaningful.

Anyway, all this is in case some did not know and were interested.

I am going to do no animal products this Lent, but it's not about weight loss (since for me Lent is a religious observance and about preparing for Easter, I actively avoid anything that seems to be about weight loss as I think that mixes up the reasons). Just my take, I get people have different ideas about Lent and many don't even really think of it as a religious thing.

As I have been doing for the past few years, my Lenten offering is again to visit with seniors in their homes.

I think that's a lovely choice. Good for you.
  • stevenchandler4117
    Options
    I just joined this site today! I'll jump in on the Lenten Challenge. I'm going to seriously reduce my tequila intake and as a Catholic, I'm going to do a better job of fasting this Lent. Thanks for all the inspiring comments.
  • rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    hrush1889 wrote: »
    4. Also - on a personal note, I am recently engaged and am wedding planning. I would like to go to church more and find a church/priest for my wedding!

OMG! Congratulations!!
    I'm so happy for you!!
  • krea4
    krea4 Posts: 1,813 Member
    Options
    I've eaten my pancakes (crepe style) with Nutella, ice cream and banana! Yummy :smiley:
    So the challenge starts in earnest tomorrow with a visit to my parents. My mum was a cake maker by professional so let's hope I don't fall at the first hurdle!
  • marlenecorey66
    marlenecorey66 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    AMPA0914 wrote: »
    I will join your Lent challenge. I came here specially looking for one. I had a recent bout of food poisoning which assisted with the push past the same two pounds. I am reading the purpose driven life, which is a forty day journey to help determine what purpose God has for my life. I am starting a 10 day smoothie cleanse, one meal a day, I know I cannot work without eating.

My goal is to be better all around. Pray life, health, financial and love life.

I will join you in reading Purpose Driven Life so I can figure out just what purpose I have to living. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • karleym915
    karleym915 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lent this year is from is from February 14 to March 29.

The idea is to give up at one unhealthy thing (you can elect to give up more than one) for the season of Lent) that is in your way of keeping you from becoming the best you that you can. Also the more specific you can be it will help you out than just being vague. You need a plan of action.
    Keep it simple, measurable (either you did it or you didn't), attainable (either you can or you can't), realistic (going straight from couch to 5K on day one for every day is not likely), timely (you have until March 29).

Examples:
    Cut back on sweets by no longer eating dessert at dinner
    Cut back time sitting on the couch by getting up and doing exercises during commercial breaks.
    Cut back on negative self-feedback by taking time to acknowledge to yourself what you have done good instead of focusing on what you have missed out on or made a mistake.

Introduction
    I'm from a small city in Missouri. I have a long history of being overweight. I have had periods where I have lost weight and gained it back, party due to diet and partly due to meds. I am tired of the cycles, in and out of the hospital, and up and down with my weight. I have decided to take the slow and steady route with my weight this time in hopes of it staying down. Why not? It's a path I haven't really focused on before. I'm forty years old, I have mental illness, asthma, PCOS, etc. I have a lot negative mental habits along with a lot of other bad habits with eating and stuff.

My goal for Lent: I'm giving up takeaways. Every time I think about ordering takeaway I am going to go for a walk around the community room at least ten minutes.
    Lent this year is from is from February 14 to March 29.

The idea is to give up at one unhealthy thing (you can elect to give up more than one) for the season of Lent) that is in your way of keeping you from becoming the best you that you can. Also the more specific you can be it will help you out than just being vague. You need a plan of action.
    Keep it simple, measurable (either you did it or you didn't), attainable (either you can or you can't), realistic (going straight from couch to 5K on day one for every day is not likely), timely (you have until March 29).

Examples:
    Cut back on sweets by no longer eating dessert at dinner
    Cut back time sitting on the couch by getting up and doing exercises during commercial breaks.
    Cut back on negative self-feedback by taking time to acknowledge to yourself what you have done good instead of focusing on what you have missed out on or made a mistake.

Introduction
    I'm from a small city in Missouri. I have a long history of being overweight. I have had periods where I have lost weight and gained it back, party due to diet and partly due to meds. I am tired of the cycles, in and out of the hospital, and up and down with my weight. I have decided to take the slow and steady route with my weight this time in hopes of it staying down. Why not? It's a path I haven't really focused on before. I'm forty years old, I have mental illness, asthma, PCOS, etc. I have a lot negative mental habits along with a lot of other bad habits with eating and stuff.

My goal for Lent: I'm giving up takeaways. Every time I think about ordering takeaway I am going to go for a walk around the community room at least ten minutes.

• MaelynMayhem
    MaelynMayhem Posts: 611 Member
    Options

Now I am actually scared about this challenge. My challenge was to only drink 1 cup of coffee per day and eliminate the other 4 I usually drink. It’s a little after 5:30am and I’ve already had my one cup. It was so good but I can’t have another one until tomorrow morning. I have had this habit for so long and I don’t know how I’ll make it through.

To give me further motivation I will figure out the cost savings of not drinking so much coffee and use that money to buy food for our local food pantry.

You can do this. The first few days is always the hardest, but you have it in you to make this change. You have made an excellent choice as to where to put the unspent funds. I have faith in you.
  • MaelynMayhem
    MaelynMayhem Posts: 611 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    My final list for the Lent Challenge:

1) Give up takeaways. If I consider takeaway I am going to go for a walk for at least ten minutes.
    2) Give up my ice cream drumstick consumption (I'm at about two a day)
    3) On the more spiritual side, I'm going to start off with a daily devotion.
    4) Reduce the size of my meals, except for dinner
    5) Continue with my water consumption (this is normally fine, but putting this up to not let it sideline)
    6) Give up Facebook
  • andreajveitch1
    andreajveitch1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'd love to join too. Mine are;
    1. No sweets, chocolate, cakes etc or alcohol Monday to Saturday (I'm Catholic, youre meant to relax for the Sunday as it's a 'mini-Easter),
    2. Start the "Rosary Workout" for meditation.
  • wi1234567890
    wi1234567890 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Now I am actually scared about this challenge. My challenge was to only drink 1 cup of coffee per day and eliminate the other 4 I usually drink. It’s a little after 5:30am and I’ve already had my one cup. It was so good but I can’t have another one until tomorrow morning. I have had this habit for so long and I don’t know how I’ll make it through.

To give me further motivation I will figure out the cost savings of not drinking so much coffee and use that money to buy food for our local food pantry.

You can do this. The first few days is always the hardest, but you have it in you to make this change. You have made an excellent choice as to where to put the unspent funds. I have faith in you.

Thank you so much.
  • andreajveitch1
    andreajveitch1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to add no meat on Wednesdays or Fridays throughout lent.