Night time snack alternatives

Options
I have this problem where I crave sweet junk food at night when I'm sitting and binging Vikings episodes. I kind of put an end to it for a while but this week it's been bad ... icing straight out of the jar by the spoon, popcorn with butter and cinnamon sugar on it, a few mini chocolate bars... it's so weird. I'm not even hungry! Anyone have any tips or slightly healthier alternatives? I make sure to leave a couple hundred cals for a snack at night, but obviously this week I've been going over them...argh.

Replies

• brtgl
    brtgl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Maybe hummus and mini carrots? Years ago, I used to frequently have a bowl of ice cream around 9 PM, but nowadays, I never eat after 8 PM.
  • caiteh86
    caiteh86 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Can you take up a hobby which leaves eyes free to watch but hands busy? Knitting, crochet, stitching...

Hmmm...that's a good idea. I'm just worried that I'll still want sugar :'(
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I second the hobby idea.
    Hand knitting makes it impossible to reach for the snacks.

http://www.handimania.com/knit/30-minute-infinity-scarf.html
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hot cocoa sweetened with Stevia. Sprinkle cinnamon on top.

Replace the sugar with artificial sweetener.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/chocolate-chai-tea-465576
  • thiswillhappen
    thiswillhappen Posts: 634 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Lately I've been cleaning and organizing things while watching TV...sounds crazy but it helps when I feel a snack binge coming on....makes me feel productive and in control!

Organize your sock drawer, refold your tshirts, clean the kitchen, organize your costume jewelry, etc...
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    diet sodas for me as well ..... everything else involves calories !

Although I keep promising myself to try making diet coke/pepsi based Jellies by adding gelatine ... that way I could eat the coke !
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    hot chocolate is my go to.

I often crave something sweet, but am not really hungry. So it's either hot chocolate or occasionally a cognac or similar.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry, you don't need food (healthy alternatives) either, overeating is just a bad habit.
  • caiteh86
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    diet sodas for me as well ..... everything else involves calories !

Although I keep promising myself to try making diet coke/pepsi based Jellies by adding gelatine ... that way I could eat the coke !

I love that idea!!
  • caiteh86
    Options
    If you're not hungry, you don't need food (healthy alternatives) either, overeating is just a bad habit.

I wouldn't be overeating, as I said, I save a couple hundred calories for a snack at night. I just need something that will hit the spot but not go over in cals.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    caiteh86 wrote: »

I wouldn't be overeating, as I said, I save a couple hundred calories for a snack at night. I just need something that will hit the spot but not go over in cals.
    Then eat a couple of hundred calories worth of anything you want.
  • jillDob
    jillDob Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like hummus and cucumber, also I fined ice cold diet lemonade & lime does the trick ;-)
  • tryin4ahealthybaby
    Options
    Often times we crave sugar when we're not taking in the right number of carbs. I'd take a look at your carb levels and see if you could make some healthy carb increases :smile:
  • sendtoharvey
    sendtoharvey Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I switched to sunflower and pumpkin seeds instead of chips...
    then added baby carrots to the mix for crunch.
    I miss my salty snacks, but helped a ton for getting me in the right direction
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    caiteh86 wrote: »

If you're not going over your calories and have no medical reasons to restrict sugar, you're probably overthinking it, nothing wrong with eating a few snacks in the evening. I like sweet & salty popcorn or a couple of the cadbury dairy milk little bars.

I do find it easier to avoid boredom eating (which for me leads to overeating) whilst watching TV by doing something that keeps me off the sofa and out of the kitchen like ironing or exercising.
  • dulinh
    dulinh Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Banana ice cream with mini chocolate chips, smoothie with chocolate protein powder topped with crushed up snack size candy bar like heath, greek yogurt with chocolate protein powder and mini chocolate chips... Add a spritz of redid whip and any of these things seem like dessert while upping your fruit and protein intake
  • rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Go to sleep earlier, it's a healthier option than binge watching tv or snacking on things you don't need to eat. Or if you don't want/can't, invest the time in something more productive, do a set of crunches every time you get a craving. Just an idea.
  • willsanchez8406
    willsanchez8406 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Trying brushing your teeth. Sounds weird but it works sometimes. If for whatever reason it doesn’t. Oats with your choice of whatever flavored rice cake. Throw some cinnamon and Splenda in that bad boy and you’re golden