Today someone told me "I need to stop losing weight"

batorkin
batorkin Posts: 281 Member
edited February 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I've lost 50 pounds and currently weigh 202 pounds as a 6'1" male. I saw my grandma today and she said I am way too skinny, so I told her "I still need to lose about 20 to 30 pounds to be healthy". Well, she freaked out and said I would be "skin and bones" and very unhealthy if I lost any more. My entire family is morbidly obese, and none of them seem to know what "healthy" looks like anymore. My mother keeps telling me the same thing every time I see her...

I know I am unhealthy with a BMI of 28 and a 38" gut (about 25% body fat). I have to fight urges every day (especially when around them), and when they tell me I need to stop losing weight it makes it even harder.

Does anyone else get very frustrated when people do this?

Replies

• batorkin
    edited February 2018
    Contrarian here,

at 73 inches and a 38 inch AC, you are within the proportions generally accepted as healthy.

Certainly if you want to lose more weight, you're free to,

Everything I read says a 6'1" male should have a waist line under 36 inches to reduce health risks. My goal is not just to "be healthy" though, I want a flat stomach and mine is no where near flat. I'm aiming for 32-35.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    tyrindor wrote: »
    Contrarian here,

at 73 inches and a 38 inch AC, you are within the proportions generally accepted as healthy.

Everything I read says a 6'1" male should have a waist line under 36 inches to reduce health risks. My goal is not just to "be healthy" though, I want a flat stomach and mine is no where near flat. I'm aiming for 32-34.

What is your current strength training program?

What is your current calorie allowance?
  • batorkin
    edited February 2018
    tyrindor wrote: »
    Contrarian here,

Everything I read says a 6'1" male should have a waist line under 36 inches to reduce health risks. My goal is not just to "be healthy" though, I want a flat stomach and mine is no where near flat. I'm aiming for 32-34.

What is your current strength training program?

What is your current calorie allowance?

I eat 1500 calories, with high resistance elliptical cardio for 30 minutes a day (~350 calories), and dumbbell lifting/exercises (30-55 pounds) twice a week. That's what I have in my home and it fits my schedule. I also started doing daily push-ups and planks because I have a lot more energy now.

Haven't been following a program. The pounds and inches have been falling off, so I'll keep doing this unless I plateau.
  • Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    My dad think's I don't eat he literally thought I was anorexic he told my mother and made her watch me. Every time I ate food my mother would point it out to him "look she's eating" she wasn't as concerned. Mind you I'm 5'6 and range between 130-135 nowhere near below weight, so it kinda bothered me, and when I told him I still want to lose about 5-7 pounds he freaked out a little bit, I realized he was genuinely concerned. So, I just explained to him what it was that I was trying to do, he understands more but he still asks if I'm trying to lose weight or if I'm eating.
  • abirdintherain
    abirdintherain Posts: 73 Member
    Yes. I got this a lot as I was losing weight, and when I tell people I'm trying to lose the bit of weight I gained back, about 20 pounds, and then get down to an even healthier weight, another 20-30 pounds, they give me the same response, I'll be skin and bones. It's like, you see my belly here, right??? I'm confident in my body but I know it could be healthier. You just have to let it roll off. Comments on what you choose to eat, on what you choose to wear, on how much you workout, they'll all come for most people. I know I'm making good choices for myself, mostly, and hopefully, everyone else comes to accept it. Or else you just keep on loving them and avoid that line of conversation.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    I get that a lot. I've lost 61 pounds and I'm only 10 pounds or so from my goal. I appear to be fairly thin, but I'm not done. I know what my body is capable of. Those comments tend to come from friends and family that are obese. I get lots of snarky comments. "You've lost enough" "why don't you eat" "youre making us look bad" ect...i used to try to explain things to them but it was pointless. I now just smile and shrug it off. Its hard sometimes though! I really want to fire back with a nasty comment but I'm trying to be the grown up haha
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    edited February 2018
    I was told by my mother to stop losing weight when I lost 50 pounds, mind you I was still an overweight 250 pound 5'8" male, I gave her the Philip J. Fry " Not sure if serious or just trying too hard to complement me" look.