Chemotherapy and dieting?

Options

Replies

• Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    First of all, my heart goes out to you! I've had many family members go through cancer, so I can imagine what you may be going through. I'm sending lots of hugs and positive vibes your way. Have you tried taking Dramamine? It's anti-nausea medication they sell over the counter. It comes in pill form, and a bracelet you can wear. Pending any prescription reactions of anything you could be taking at the moment. I would imagine a pharmacist can help you in that department. If your doc will do it, they also sell prescription patches. Peppermint tea is also soothing on an upset stomach. Maybe try slowly sipping on any type of liquid calories you can get? The ginger ale mentioned above could be soothing, and something like Ensure shakes or Slimfast shakes could bulk up your calories if you can keep them down. And, of all stupid things, flat Pepsi or Dr. pepper might help the nausea. I know it's one of those old wives tale things, but I've seen it work on my siblings when they would get sick. Best of luck! Kick that cancer's *kitten*!
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    The_Ta wrote: »
    Not all chemotherapies are the same, and not all of them make you lose weight. You need to find out the specific therapy your medical oncologist is prescribing.

I didn’t see where you mentioned your BMI, but you want to stay in the normal range during and after treatment. People lose weight during treatment for several reasons including increased caloric needs related to cell repair from chemo/radiation, pain during eating from mucosities (sores that run your entire GI tract), change in taste, and nausea.

You really should join a support group specializing on your exact cancer. They will have a wealth of knowledge available to you.

One final word...be careful eating your favorite foods if you get sick during treatment. You could end up never wanting to eat that food again.

I think my BMI is 22.1 I’m 5’3 and 124/125. So I’m in the healthy weight I’m not underweight or anything!
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    When I underwent abvd chemo (for hodgkin lymphoma), I was told not to change dietary habits but if you're on the lighter side, they probably want you to be above a certain weight due to the expectation that you will have a reduced appetite. It might vary based on the treatment, and not everyone is affected the same. For example, I didn't really get nausea in the days following a treatment unless I ate something extremely spicy on the day of/day after treatment. I had anti-nausea medication, but didn't need to take it. Even with that said, I didn't have as much of an appetite in the days immediately following chemo.

This helps a lot! It’s not so much I’m worried about the weight gain just as I’m worried about the nausea that comes with eating more than my body has adjusted too over the year I’ve been doing this. I’ve been stuffing my face for the last two weeks and haven’t gained a pound so at this point I’d rather watch my calories and not be nauseous then to force myself to eat!
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I've had cancer; I've had chemotherapy. I'd advise following your doctor's orders, unless and until your new doctor directs you differently.

Personally, I'd look at it this way: It's not going to be possible for you to gain massive amounts of weight before chemo. Going into that period a few pounds heavier can't hurt you, and might possibly help you.

((Hugs)).

I have yet to see my new doctor. I’m going to cancer centers of America. It takes awhile to get in there. It’s not so much I’m worried about the weight gain just as I’m worried about the nausea that comes with eating more than my body has adjusted too over the year I’ve been doing this. I’ve been stuffing my face for the last two weeks and haven’t gained a pound so at this point I’d rather watch my calories and not be nauseous then to force myself to eat!
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    11 years ago I had NHL. A very aggressive form. I was 5'5 and 110 lbs. There was no concern about putting extra weight on. And my rounds of chemo lasted 96 hours each. But I will say that I was put on 2 anti nausea drugs. One I was given during chemo, and the other I could take as much as I needed. It worked so well, I never got sick, I hardly ever felt sick (I took ALOT of that second drug) so I ate all the time. I even gained weight during treatment.

The standard anti nausea they will give you during treatment is zofran....but I asked my oncologist to give me extra thorazine on top of that. It's AMAZING for strong nausea and was a life saver for me. If the doctor doesn't want to give that, you can ask for compazine....but it's not as strong.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    I understand your concern after fighting to lose weight being told to gain must be infuriating on top of the diagnosis. My sister had stage three hodgkins disease and underwent chemo. It was a rough road with lots of nausea and vomiting. At this point maybe you should go ahead and allow yourself to gain a few pounds. I'm assuming they would be happy with 10 pounds? You could also get a second opinion. She was not told to gain weight but perhaps she was heavier than you.

I am so sorry for your situation. At this point you're fighting for your life and a few extra pounds aren't going to make alot of difference for the next little while. You have the rest of your life to lose those 10 pounds. Good luck my friend.

Thank you for understanding! It’s not so much I’m worried about the weight gain just as I’m worried about the nausea that comes with eating more than my body has adjusted too over the year I’ve been doing this. I’ve been stuffing my face for the last two weeks and haven’t gained a pound so at this point I’d rather watch my calories and not be nauseous then to force myself to eat! Also about her being told not to gain weight, I’ve read on multiple things that you shouldn’t change your eating habits and try to maintain so that’s why I feel she is wrong.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    I'm so sorry you're going through this. :(

Maintaining/gaining a bit of weight will definitely help. My first thought would be adding smoothies and protein shakes. For smoothies, you could try a blend of full-fat Greek yogurt, leafy greens like spinach or kale, a banana, and any other fruit you enjoy (berries are tasty). For protein shakes, maybe a scoop of chocolate protein powder, a couple tablespoons of full-fat peanut butter, a banana, and milk.

If you can tolerate those well enough, they will add a good calorie boost to your diet, not to mention a good amount of protein.

Good luck.

Thank you I haven’t thought of protein shakes! Good idea!!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,632 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    She won't gain any weight. It's cancer. It starves her body of nutrients. I have a feeling she's not so much "watching her calories" as she thinks. More so that she just isn't gaining any weight with what she is eating.
    ... while also at the same time feeling nauseous from the attempt and her illness.

Obviously I have no way of knowing what is happening inside you.

My mom managed to keep her weight relatively stable once she started chemotherapy (she visibly lost fat and muscle before treatment start). In spite of eating such than in the past she would have gained weight eating this way, she has only managed stability, perhaps a hint of recovery, based on visual evaluation.

When dealing with illness and depending on what is happening inside you weight, by itself, can be a very un-reliable indicator. During my mom's first paracentesis the fluid that was removed added up to >10% of her total weight.

While eating till you feel nausea may or may not be necessary, the fear I would have is that if you don't force yourself to eat you may continue to lose muscle and fat.

Ensure also makes a high gain formula which maximizes calories per volume. As I've only seen it in hospital I don't know if it has to be prescribed or special ordered.
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    No advice for you as many posters already covered it. But, I just want to say how sorry I am that you are going through this. Wishing you peace and strength in the days and months ahead.
  • JustSomeJD
    JustSomeJD Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    You need NUTRITION, don't sweat a "diet" right now.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    rcervetto wrote: »
    I have never undergone chemotherapy/cancer treatment so I won't comment on that, but you have said this to a few people:

I’ve been stuffing my face for the last two weeks and haven’t gained a pound so at this point I’d rather watch my calories and not be nauseous then to force myself to eat!

If you've been eating more and not gaining/maintaining, why do you think you should eat less ("watch calories") to maintain? From your history, it seems that watching calories to not be nauseous will result in you losing weight. Which is probably what the doctor is concerned about. I think what @AnnPT77 was saying isto follow your current doctor's orders (gain weight/eat more) until you are able to be seen by your new doctor and hear what they recommend. Did you ask your doctor why they recommended you to gain when your research suggests maintaining, rather than just decide she's wrong and you need a new doctor?

I actually didn’t get to ask her the reasons for gaining. She’s always in a hurry so I don’t get much time to process and think of questions until after the appointment is done