Think I’m pissing everyone off?...

Options

Replies

• animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Yeah I try to keep it on here, friends, family and coworkers will get annoyed because they either aren't into it so will be bored by you, assume you're humble bragging or assume you're trying to make them do it too (which you admitted you are)

So don't unless they ask, they know now so they'll ask if they're curious or want to join in, in the meantime join some group classes so you can get fitness buddies or just vent on here. As much as I enjoy talking about it and telling people how fit I feel and how much weight Ive lost and I'd love them to get on board, people don't want to hear about it.

It doesn't make anyone a bad person for wanting to talk about it but we are basically no different to stamp collectors and no one wants to hear about someones new 1927 upside down stamp every single day and what it took for them to find it and how they should start collecting and blah blah blah snore. Lets keep our fitness nerdery to here where it's appreciated, don't worry if they get interested they'll come to you. :)
  • santje00
    santje00 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    l4ur4j4d4 wrote: »
    So since January I’ve decided to go back to the gym and get fit!
    But I think I’m getting obsessed and I wanna talk about gym and fitness and food all the time! Only to keep me motivated and because I’m loving it at the moment... but all my friends and my boyfriend especially hate me right now because they’re getting sick of it hahaha.
    I can see where they’re coming from, but I need friends so I can have these discussions with!
    Just wondering if anyone else is annoying people with this aswell?... ha!

Oh hell yea! I am boring everyone and I can see visible annoyance on their face. I do go overboard though, when my other half and his friend have McDonalds and I make a statement such as "You keep eating your burgers, I'll keep putting on muscle". I mean, it's self-inflicted in my case.

But in all seriousness, I get it. I find it hard not to mention exercise 24/7, so I let lose on the forum and get it out of my system lol
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    santje00 wrote: »
    But I think I’m getting obsessed and I wanna talk about gym and fitness and food all the time! Only to keep me motivated and because I’m loving it at the moment... but all my friends and my boyfriend especially hate me right now because they’re getting sick of it hahaha.
    I can see where they’re coming from, but I need friends so I can have these discussions with!

Oh hell yea! I am boring everyone and I can see visible annoyance on their face. I do go overboard though, when my other half and his friend have McDonalds and I make a statement such as "You keep eating your burgers, I'll keep putting on muscle". I mean, it's self-inflicted in my case.

But in all seriousness, I get it. I find it hard not to mention exercise 24/7, so I let lose on the forum and get it out of my system lol

Eating burgers stops one putting on muscle? :/
  • FJlove4life
    FJlove4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I try to only talk weight on here or in my FB groups...
    Anymore everyone is annoyed or jealous and I'm tried of the flack..(your too skinny F-U see my muscles! It's called STRONG! put that taco down and run a few laps and stop blaming hormones *kitten*!)
    I don't share update pics or anything on FB anymore nothing..
    I don't even go out hardly cause someone will have something to say to me.. so
    But I WAY like being a loner size 6 without drama.. than being an 18, with mass drama anymore so lol
    I'm cool with it!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    If someone asks you to cut back on how much you talk about ANYTHING, then you should unless you want to become that person who everyone avoids.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    That's why I come to this forum. It helps me annoy people I care about IRL less. :p
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    @JoRocka I could've written your posts. I am the same way! It's so hard to be any different. Every morning i tell myself I will keep it shut, and then, voila... same *kitten* different day. Lol

riding that over sharing struggle bus together!!!

Oh, man. Scooch over, eh?

• PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Even though I'm on Facebook, I rarely share any of my lifting accomplishments, but I am in a powerlifting facebook group that allows me to overshare with like-minded people, of course there's always the MFP forums.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think it seems very fair for them to get annoyed. You are clearly passionate about this. I personally love seeing and listening to someone talk about something they are so passionate about, and I do the same thing. I'm sorry they are being like that, but at least you have all of us here. :)
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I am 70 and I swim an hour or more every morning and run most afternoons mostly because I love it but also because I do it alone and enjoy it for myself. In the beginning people asked what I did to lose all the weight and I found as I started to tell them their eyes would glaze over they didn't have any interest. Now I find my friends, people my age just want to know " Why the hell do you still do this at your AGE?" not deserving for an answer so our conversations stick to " nice day isn't it?"
    So enjoy yourself and do your thing life in the gym is one thing and your outside life is another people who really care about you will tolerate some gym and food talk and the others who wont maybe don't care enough about you for you to care about them
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    @JoRocka I could've written your posts. I am the same way! It's so hard to be any different. Every morning i tell myself I will keep it shut, and then, voila... same *kitten* different day. Lol

riding that over sharing struggle bus together!!!

Oh, man. Scooch over, eh?

Plenty-O-Room on this bus my friend. We can bore each other to death with our very exciting personal over sharing.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Get. Personal trainer and dietician to unload on. It’s their job to talk about food and fitness

My personal trainer gets my texts when I am excited about anything fitness related. He also gets my whining when things aren't going well with my diet or exercise...poor guy. I used to tell my friends, but when I hit a PR on something and tell them they would just look at my like I was crazy to be excited about anything that happened in the gym.
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I just think of my brother, who is into genealogy and sounds like he's reading Genesis when he gets going - "So and so begat so and so, who then had fifteen sons, so and so and so and so and so and so and these are all your seventeenth cousins twenty times removed" ad nauseam until I want to scream.

I don't want to be that boring, so I generally don't talk about it unless someone asks. Even then, watch their eyes to make sure they aren't glazing over.

This helps me..lol...I will try to remember how I feel when one of my kids goes on and on and on and on about Roblox or Minecraft!!!
  • Jonesuna64
    Jonesuna64 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It got to the point that I started NOT talking about any of it. I really just don't mention it to friends anymore. One friend likes to tell me what she eats every day and it's a parade of chain restaurant meals with ice cream and donuts after, then cocktails...when I see her and have lost a little more weight she's "offended I don't share my tips"...I gave up on that years ago tbh.

THIS!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Do you have a group of girlfriends, all with kids, except you? And all they talk about when you're together is their kids? It's cute for about 2 minutes, then it's really not....yeah, it's like that.

If your friends want to know, they'll ask.

Exactly...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    That's why I'm on these forums, so I don't bother others with it. I hate when relationships change. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but I would rather not be the instigator. Health and fitness are a good thing, but when it's not a common interest the talk can get boring and annoying and people can't relate. It's okay to be excited about something, but it feels self-centered to not notice the needs of others around me to communicate and relate. There is more to life than dieting. In fact I go out of my way to not let this part of me affect anything else in my life. I have a good life and great relationships, and disturbing that for some idle chatter isn't worth it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Do you have a group of girlfriends, all with kids, except you? And all they talk about when you're together is their kids? It's cute for about 2 minutes, then it's really not....yeah, it's like that.

If your friends want to know, they'll ask.

Sadly, I've lost a couple of friends to this a few years back. We just drifted apart because it was a complete shift in interests, conversations, and activities.