Think I’m pissing everyone off?...

Options
124»

Replies

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    in the beginning i was the same way - super excited - shout it from the roof tops. now i'm pretty chill about it. it's not new anymore and it's just the way i live my life and so it doesn't really seem worth mentioning to most people. to my boyfriend though, i bring it up a lot more. mostly stuff like: "i don't have the calories for another glass of wine" or "i ran today so we can go get PIZZA!" i've tried to even curb a lot of that, but he doesn't mind and says it reminds him that he *should* be working on getting healthier too.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    That's why I'm on these forums, so I don't bother others with it. I hate when relationships change. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but I would rather not be the instigator. Health and fitness are a good thing, but when it's not a common interest the talk can get boring and annoying and people can't relate. It's okay to be excited about something, but it feels self-centered to not notice the needs of others around me to communicate and relate. There is more to life than dieting. In fact I go out of my way to not let this part of me affect anything else in my life. I have a good life and great relationships, and disturbing that for some idle chatter isn't worth it.

I think that's it right there. relationships change.

and IMHO either you're the kind of friend you roll with it- because you're legit ride or die- or you drift apart. People think that changed relationships = failure- but it is what it is. And it's okay. Either you're good enough friends to roll with it- or you downplay it so it ISN"T a huge life style change- or you allow the drift to happen.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    That's why I'm on these forums, so I don't bother others with it. I hate when relationships change. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but I would rather not be the instigator. Health and fitness are a good thing, but when it's not a common interest the talk can get boring and annoying and people can't relate. It's okay to be excited about something, but it feels self-centered to not notice the needs of others around me to communicate and relate. There is more to life than dieting. In fact I go out of my way to not let this part of me affect anything else in my life. I have a good life and great relationships, and disturbing that for some idle chatter isn't worth it.

and IMHO either you're the kind of friend you roll with it- because you're legit ride or die- or you drift apart. People think that changed relationships = failure- but it is what it is. And it's okay. Either you're good enough friends to roll with it- or you downplay it so it ISN"T a huge life style change- or you allow the drift to happen.

I completely agree with you. I don't consider relationships changing a failure or even a bad thing. I just don't like it and would rather avoid it where it's avoidable.
  • ThatHealthyCaper
    ThatHealthyCaper Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

my favorite subject is food

Hahahaha.......this is ME
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I completely agree with you. I don't consider relationships changing a failure or even a bad thing. I just don't like it and would rather avoid it where it's avoidable.

LOL_ yeah that's a different story all together- and a personal (not bad or good) just an observation- honestly I can't blame you- change is always hard!! I don't think most people care for relationship changes. But- it is what it is.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    l4ur4j4d4 wrote: »
    So since January I’ve decided to go back to the gym and get fit!
    But I think I’m getting obsessed and I wanna talk about gym and fitness and food all the time! Only to keep me motivated and because I’m loving it at the moment... but all my friends and my boyfriend especially hate me right now because they’re getting sick of it hahaha.
    I can see where they’re coming from, but I need friends so I can have these discussions with!
    Just wondering if anyone else is annoying people with this aswell?... ha!

I've stopped talking about it to friends and family because they don't want to hear or they seem super annoyed. I would get frustrated that they didn't want to listen or mad that they would make snarky comments. I'm an argumentative person, so it's much easier if it doesn't come up at all now haha! If they bring up my weight loss I usually just say "yup, still at it" or "just losing by calorie counting" rather than get in to the details.
    But, I am doing this with my husband. We work out together every day, discuss our logging and food choices, vent ect...its wonderful but driving my teenagers insane! The other day my oldest said "can you guys maybe talk about this stuff when we aren't around. It's super boring and annoying ". Or I get a lot of "grilled chicken and veggies again? You guys are eating healthy, I don't have to". To which I respond, "get a job and make your own meals" haha!
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    It IS annoying and people not wanting to focus on yr food and exercise habits isn't being unsupportive. They love you for so much more than your calorie intake.
  • Flyingfingers51
    Flyingfingers51 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Especially friends and coworkers who are overweight, but not interested in losing at this time. I get the feeling they think I am "preaching" to them when I talk about watching my diet and exercise. So I try to be considerate and only talk about it if they bring up the subject first.
  • MrsLMKing
    MrsLMKing Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm an obese, out of shape woman. Certain people I know, like my sister-in-law and her husband, are very active. They tell me about what they've done recently hiking and biking wise -- like they recently did a 20 mile biking trail -- and I thought it was fascinating and totally interesting! Sharing their pictures and telling us a little bit about it was cool. Then they moved on to my husband and I's adventures and then other topics.

There's certainly nothing wrong with sharing what's going on in your life -- I've been hitting the gym, or I just did a 5K, or I just biked 20 miles -- and people should support you in that. But if you talk about it endlessly, it may become a bit uncomfortable or just plain boring for the people you're around.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I understand OP. I found it exciting when I started discovering new recipes and exercises and especially when I found my groove when I first starting to lose a little weight. I wanted to share with the world!

However, I found it best to connect with other like-minded people online who can relate to share my joy. Most people don't care and some might actually want to see you fail.

Keep up the great work!