Question about canned beans

sean_hancock
sean_hancock Posts: 3 Member
edited February 2018 in Food and Nutrition
On the side of most cans of beans, black, pinto, etc., It says about 3.5 servings per container. However, if you drain and weigh the beans there’s just barely 2 servings in weight. Which is correct? Is that 3.5 servings listed on the can including the water that’s in the can? I never know how to account for the calories eating beans because there’s clearly not 3.5 serving drained and weighed. Thoughts?

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    The servings don't particularly matter. Weigh them in grams and don't worry about it.

But to answer your question, they're approximate servings plus you're draining off some of the water weight.
  • sean_hancock
    sean_hancock Posts: 3 Member
    Well, I think the servings do matter. In the nutrition label it says that there are 3.5 servings per can X 125 grams per serving for approximately 437 grams per can (420 calories). But drained and weighed there are only < 2 servings in the can (approximately 240 calories). Is “bean water” really holding 180 calories?

Maybe I should drain and weigh the beans and divide that number by 3.5?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Really, just drain the beans and use the USDA entry for the cooked, drained version of the type of beans it is: No need for mental contortions.

This is the easiest.

If you want to use the can information, I'd assume the 3.5 is correct (it includes the water) and so if you drain and use half a can (which is normal for me), I'd multiple the calories (or grams) times 3.5 and then divide by two (or 3 if you use a third or so on).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    Go by the grams of the beans themselves. Ignore the 'servings' it says.

It does suck that they seem to be underfilling the cans food-wise to that extent, but the liquid is included in their weight calculations.

They go by the weight of the whole can itself, not just the beans. They do not say, "x beans, x water"... So however much water weight is in there, they don't remove calorie. They assume it is ALL beans.

This - there may be a few calories in the water that they count towards the weight - but it's mostly in the beans.

Much like that bag of frozen vegetables to be steamed has a weight that includes the frozen water.
    Microwave them and open bag and they will lose weight.

Now - difference on those bags - they usually say 45g frozen weight per serving (or whatever). So 45g cooked and missing water would actually be more calories than an label.
    In those cases you have to do the math on your cooked serving from the total cooked weight, %.
    Or eat the whole bag!

Much easier with beans.
    But you need to do the same thing.
    Full can weight divided by serving weight is exactly how many servings in can.
    Drain water - weigh total. Divided by same servings.
    Weigh what you are eating for that new per serving size.

And then write that down and buy the same can again.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,076 Member

It does suck that they seem to be underfilling the cans food-wise to that extent, but the liquid is included in their weight calculations.

They go by the weight of the whole can itself, not just the beans. They do not say, "x beans, x water"... So however much water weight is in there, they don't remove calorie. They assume it is ALL beans.

No, they don't assume it is all beans. They assume you're weighing the beans with a proportionate amount of the liquid from the can.

As AnnPT77 says, the easiest thing to do is use the USDA entry for "beans, [specific bean type], mature, cooked, boiled, drained."

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 902 Member

No, they don't assume it is all beans. They assume you're weighing the beans with a proportionate amount of the liquid from the can.

As AnnPT77 says, the easiest thing to do is use the USDA entry for "beans, [specific bean type], mature, cooked, boiled, drained."

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

I more meant the weight assumption on the can versus the label's calorie information. The label is to be if all of the weight was beans.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    The beans I buy in Australia state on the can that the serving size is for the beans drained. So much easier that way as the liquid would have less calories than the beans so just draining and using the nutritional information given on the can which includes liquid and beans would be inaccurate. Because of this, if your serving from the can includes the liquid then using the USDA database would be much more accurate.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    I always rinse the beans off before eating them and do not eat the liquid.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    I hate logging canned beans because the nutrition on the can includes the liquid weight in most cases, at least for the products I buy. I rinse and drain them then I use the USDA entry for cooked beans by weight.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I've been doing it all wrong (100lbs lost later), but I'm making chili tonight so I'll enter my recipe with the USDA rinse/drained/cooked values and see what a difference there is.

What I'm meaning to say is anecdotally, for over a year I've used the measurement on the can after rinsing/draining beans and still been wildly successful. The +/- is probably not that big of a deal for a person who has a lot to lose. Could make a difference for someone with a much smaller deficit (like me now).

I don't eat a lot of beans except when I make soup or chili, so could be a lot more impactful for a vegetarian who eats canned beans on the regular.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Lean59man wrote: »
    I always rinse the beans off before eating them and do not eat the liquid.

Me too. Plus, by rinsing, you get rid of some of the excess sodium. I even rinse the low sodium cans of beans I purchase.

If you really want to be that accurate, use dried beans and make them your self.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I hate logging canned beans because the nutrition on the can includes the liquid weight in most cases, at least for the products I buy. I rinse and drain them then I use the USDA entry for cooked beans by weight.

Yeah, me too, and I find them annoying too, for the same reason.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Well, I think the servings do matter. In the nutrition label it says that there are 3.5 servings per can X 125 grams per serving for approximately 437 grams per can (420 calories). But drained and weighed there are only < 2 servings in the can (approximately 240 calories). Is “bean water” really holding 180 calories?

Maybe I should drain and weigh the beans and divide that number by 3.5?

This is what I do. Sometimes I will make my own food entry based off the grams drained weight, particularly if I use the brand often. I find a lot of variation in different brands of canned beans, so I don't like to use the usda cooked entry. I know the serving amount is not exact (i.e. can may say 3.5 servings and actually have 4), but I figure it is pretty close.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Really, just drain the beans and use the USDA entry for the cooked, drained version of the type of beans it is: No need for mental contortions.

The servings and weights on the can assume beans + liquid, but most of the calories and nutrients are in the beans. If you dump the whole can (liquid + beans) into a soup or something, you can use the can data. If you drain the contents and use just the beans, trying to do math from the label is a fool's errand.

If you have free time and like to learn about food, look up "aquafaba". ;)

https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/ingredients/article/aquafaba-health-benefits

Enjoy your beans! :)

Thanks for clarifying. You said it better than I did. When I'm on my phone I try to bottom line things.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member

The servings and weights on the can assume beans + liquid, but most of the calories and nutrients are in the beans. If you dump the whole can (liquid + beans) into a soup or something, you can use the can data. If you drain the contents and use just the beans, trying to do math from the label is a fool's errand.

If you have free time and like to learn about food, look up "aquafaba". ;)

https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/ingredients/article/aquafaba-health-benefits

Enjoy your beans! :)

Thanks for clarifying. You said it better than I did. When I'm on my phone I try to bottom line things.

I thought you did fine. OP wasn't buying it, even after your and others' sensible, cogent, concise, clear comments. It seemed like time to trot out a wall'o'text (my specialty ;) ).