Any Senior’s out there?

Options
12346»

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Fell on ice in the driveway. That sort of thing used to not hurt as much. :(
    Yikes! <3
    I hope your recovery goes well.

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Fell on ice in the driveway. That sort of thing used to not hurt as much. :(

Oh, so sorry! Hope you weren't hurt too badly - bruising from that kind of fall can be brutal!
  • mockingbird1234
    mockingbird1234 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello senior friends. Here I am trying to get healthy again. this time its a little about losing weight but mainly I'm having stomach issues with eating the wrong foods. I guess it finally caught up with me. so my question is where and how do I start?
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I guess I am kind of a senior. I am 55. I started January 15 and have lost 18 pounds. I do the elliptical, walk, and ride bikes and weights. Not all on the same day.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    61, lost 10 and about 8 more to go, and honestly almost didn't click this thread. I don't think of myself as a senior at all! Maybe after I retire in another ... 8 years or so ...

Update: lost 18 now, just under original goal weight and long runs up around 6-7 miles, going for another 3-5 pounds of loss and starting with weights. Still 61, but age is so just a number.
  • gtm197
    gtm197 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Male, age 65, 6'0". Lost 26 pounds since 12/16/2017. Lifting heavy and progressively adding weight to the bar. I lift 3-4x a week and spin for cardio the other days. I stay active 7 days a week. 250 heading to 200.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Hello senior friends. Here I am trying to get healthy again. this time its a little about losing weight but mainly I'm having stomach issues with eating the wrong foods. I guess it finally caught up with me. so my question is where and how do I start?

If you are having stomach issues that you feel are related to foods you eat, you could start with a visit to your doctor. Might be referred to an allergist or a dietician after that, but physician seems to be a good place to start to rule out serious underlying issues. Good luck with your quest for health!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,294 Member
    Options

If you are having stomach issues that you feel are related to foods you eat, you could start with a visit to your doctor. Might be referred to an allergist or a dietician after that, but physician seems to be a good place to start to rule out serious underlying issues. Good luck with your quest for health!

That's really good advice. If they rule out obvious physical issues, ask for a referral to a registered dietician (RD). An RD can help you analyze your eating to identify what may be causing you problems.

Because your doctor or RD will ask about your eating, it may give you a headstart if you simply start using MFP to log your current eating. That could help you see patterns and make adjustments even before the needed appointments with the medical folks, then maximize benefits you get from their professional expertise, besides.

I developed severe heartburn around 3 years ago. It turned out that the cause was not what I was eating at the time, but instead an obscure but fully correctable gallbladder condition (not stones or sludge). I've lost weight since (only partly because my obesity was probably among the causes of the gallbladder problem ;) ), but I still eat most of the things I always did - just less. (I admit that my food choices, other than quantity, have long been reasonably healthy. Definitely frivolous choices in there too, though, then and now. :) )
  • crammar
    crammar Posts: 15 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Wow, I’m now classified as a senior at the ripe old age of 56! I’ve been using MFP for 5 years now without missing a day. Lost 30kgs and finally managed to have a “six pack” for the first time in my life. No going back now. Love the lifestyle.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    58 here
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    57 years old here- lost round 20 pounds(a little over) on mfp- love looking at health and nutrition articles, reading posts for suggestions of good food ideas. Love to walk(my favorite) but also like praise dancing, lifting light weights and just doing youtube fitness videos. esp. love doing walks while watching tourist videos. I too am never going back- this is fitness and it is fun- and most of all I love learning new things and seeing how my body responds-
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    71 years old, have lost 60 pounds and have kept it off. Am at 197 and would like to get down to 175-180.
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    More important now than ever. I'm 62. Dropped 80 from 325 to 244. 60 more to go but most importantly eating and active healthy lifestyle. Thanks MFP.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    will be 62 this year. 7 years ago last month I first joined MFP. lost 75 lbs in approx 10 months. Felt better than I had in my whole life, literally, (and first time in life I reached stage of no longer being obese LOL).
    In fact I felt so great I went back to work.
    Ack... high stress job (which I love) combined with having to accept that while I felt like I was 20 again, I sure wasn't and just could not put in the kinds of hours I once did and still bounce back the next day = gradual slide into old habits.
    Fast forward to 2018... had put too much of that 75lbs back on (life and stress sure takes some nasty turns at times)... and I cannot tell you how great it feels to be 'home' again, at MFP, and finally getting a grip on coping with work and 'myself' combined now.
    As of today, 16 pounds back off, and have complete faith in myself that I WILL succeed again.
    Note... profile pic is from approx. 7 years ago (after I reached goal), to remind myself of where I am heading again... in the right direction!)
    Nice to see so many here!
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    62 here. I lost 70 lbs in 2015. Have put about 12 back on so working at getting back where I want to be. We also have a nice trip planned for the end of April, so I’m really wanting to see some results.
  • jwc1925
    jwc1925 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 54, can I join the discussion? I lost about 20 pounds in 2016 using My Fitness Pal but stopped paying attention to my diet and seem to have gained back 10 pounds in just the past month! It's harder to maintain a healthy weight now than it used to be.