[science] if... someone would eat in a deficit and store calories as fat

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,390 Member
edited February 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Question says it all. Say a fairly tall, active woman would eat 1200 kcal in a day, work out a lot and gain weight (yes, I know.. it's not possible), what would theoretically happen? I'd think she'd be permanently hungry as you cannot double-dip energy, have all the signs of undernourishment. Anything else considering metabolism is so much more than just food digestion, energy utilization and storage?

Does such disease exist, and if so, for how long could someone survive?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    The weight she gained was not fat?
  • yirara
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    It's not possible, so it's a pointless exercise.

I know... I'm trying to argue with someone with a scientific background, but don't know where to start.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

I know... I'm trying to argue with someone with a scientific background, but don't know where to start.

It is possible for someone to gain weight while eating at a caloric deficit.

Water weight for like a few days, not on a sensible timescale.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options

it is but it won't be in the form of tissue. Would be water or contents of the gut. In any case it would be a temporary gain.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    If a human is consuming fewer calories than they need to maintain, their body will consume body fat (and a little bit of protein) until there is no body fat left. When there is no body fat left to consume, it will move onto muscles and organs. When your body starts eating your organs for sustenance, you'll eventually die.

How could someone gain weight while definitely eating at a deficit? Water weight, extra poo/pee in the body, muscle gain, big tumors/growths.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    In such a syndrome, the edema would be fairly obvious, and concentrated in the places where gravity normally puts edema.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Most likely, but the OP never said weight was not temporary.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Water weight, but not fat.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

You'd be surprised at how long water weight can stick around.

Yea I have about 2-3lbs of water weight that sticks around when I'm doing my lifting program regularly, so it is part of my normal. But as soon as I stop or reduce volume, it goes. It can mess with my numbers sometimes.
  • yirara
    Options

Most likely, but the OP never said weight was not temporary.

Ok, I should have been more precise: presumably fat. Water weight would show as such, as an edema.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    *edit. NM