5 weeks dieting and exercising, no weight lost. HELP!

Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Nickybasu wrote: »
    DON'T GIVE UP!.Realizing u r doing EVERYTHING RIGHT and not getting any results reminds me of my frustration. It has taken a lot of effort for you, so DO NOT GIVE UP!!! We want to eat right, JUST not to lose weight. BUT making our internal organs well oiled and healthy and keeping us away from the doctors. Please take your time and read my experience (long response).

(1) I can vouch this as I am seeing amazing results in myself. Things I have gone thru don't even wish on my biggest enemy.....after consulting 2 RD (registered dietitian from top med schools) it was unfortunate to feel such a waste of time and money when u don't find a smart, passionate professionals. They didn't even understand my daily activity, emotions and just put me on a 1200 cal diet...they didn't explain what this 1200 cal diet plan actually means to my lifestyle. I am an active person and burn about 2900 avg cal/daily.

(2) After going over intense med research papers I realized the KEY to maintain-lose-gain is the (a) BMR of our body, then my (b) daily activities.

(3) To make it simple, I bought myself a Polar HRM to track my avg daily activity calorie burn. (Mine logs avg 2900/day). I only use the chest strap while doing my training (aerobics, strength, yoga). My daily activity calorie burn in my Polar includes my BMR, training, everything I do all day. I logged every single intake for 7-10 days to get a hang of all my averages (daily burn+daily intake).

(4) My BMR is 1550 (used BMR calculator from search) and as per several medical and sports journal, I added another 300 cal (BMRx.2) required for a sedentary life (working in a desk job etc and practically not much leisure activity). My body would need 1850 to just function daily.

(5) I have planned 6 meals around 1850-1950 cal (90% clean food). Now I can see the results, my avg activity calorie burn - calorie intake (2900-1850 = 1000 calories deficit). I am experiencing avg 1.5 weight loss/week.

(6) I am down 25 lbs in 4 months, without dieting in a real sense. Many of you have also indicated the same approach.....Try this approach 2-3 days and see if it works...Jokes aside, when I can plan my food around 1950 cal, I don't mind logging even micro portion of honey/dessert....:)

Don't give up, U CAN DO IT, Good Luck!!

those calories are what work for you. doesnt mean it will work for everyone. and clean food doesnt mean better/faster weight loss. and if someone isnt losing eating more is not the answer it means something is off either with not being accurate/eating more calories/ exercise calories being off or even a health issue. weight plateaus are normal and part of the process. and 2-3 days isnt going to be enough to tell whether or not something is working because its possible to lose or gain water in those few days. BMR is just what your body burns by being alive ,the calories your body needs to function in a coma. BMR does not include your exercise that would be TDEE(your BMR +activity) if you eat less than your TDEE then you will lose weight. a 1000 calorie deficit is 2lbs a week. still a deficit but only a deficit of about 750 calories
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything constructive to add for your overall issue of weightloss, but I do have the meal planning/prep/logging thing down pat. If you are buying all of your food on one day, and that's all you eat for the week, why don't you divide it all by the number of days your going to eat it, and then log that? Say you have a 300g bag of carrots, and plan to eat it over 4 days, you can log 75g for each day you plan on eating carrots. I sit and log everything for the week on Sundays. I usually do it while I'm watching TV, so it's not so boring. Then I don't deviate (or it's my responsibility to change the log on days when I do deviate). So if you want to eat rice during the week, measure out 400g (or whatever) or dry rice. You can split it into as many days as you want (or cook it all at once and then just take from the bowl. As long as at the end of the week, you've eaten what you've accounted for... it should take some of the stress out of it.

I also make meals, because I tend to eat a lot of the same foods every day, and even from week to week. I buy the same brand of yogurt. I measure it out into the same serving sizes. I even eat it at the same time every day (I like schedules, clearly! Ha ha). So if you're like that, it's one way to make tracking easier for you.

All of that, of course, can be ignored if you'd rather keep track in your book. :) You don't have to use MFP to be successful.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    shanika88 wrote: »
    jangel66 wrote: »
    The one thing that stood out from your list was Sugar. Use the food tracker here to see how many grams of sugar you are consuming. There is no good sugar. Drive the sugar out of your diet and the pounds will come off.
    Pls remember Carbs are just sugar so when looking at total sugar consumption you have to look at the Carbs and the added suger.

keep up the exercise and cut the sugar as much as possible and see if the next 30 days are a lot better than the last 45 for weight loss.
    Any thing you eat that is packaged in a box has added sugar.

never touch fruit juices- your water and unsweetened tea are great
    check all labels and if the sugar is higher than 5 grams per serving dont touch it again
    if it has Carbs but has no Dietary Fiber listed than it is just sugar with a another name.
    good luck and dont give up.

track other milestones such as inches and clothes fitting better dont depend on scale for your all your positive feedback.
    with that much regular exercise you must feel better. Take your victories small and large and hold on tight to them.

Can you explain more? I know a lot of people claim you should even cut out fruits, but I have a hard time accepting that as valid fact. With the exception of the honey I add, which I've read has good health benefits, everything I eat I try to make sure has no added sugar, even the muesli I bought has no added sweetener. I'm going to look at my food list more carefully though and go over all the labels for the plain yogurt I eat (I searched hard for one that didn't have sugar), etc to make sure it's not above 5grams. I don't ever drink fruit juice.

I do actually feel a lot more energy overall and that IS a great feeling. Thanks for the encouragement there. My next step is to take measurements because that might be a better reflection of any changes happening. We'll see!

Don't listen to that poster. Everything they said about sugar, carbs and nutrition is wrong. Unless you have a medical reason to do so, there is no reason to worry about sugar.

You don't gain weight in a calorie deficit.

^^this
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    OP I've skimmed through a lot of this thread. I picked up on one thing you said: your food is boring - There's no way you'll ever stick with this this if you're bored. Eat foods you like and enjoy, but of course weigh them so you know the calories obviously.

Another thing, when you see a reply that's got lots of woos (in other words its BS) That means don't listen to that poster because they are wrong. But there has been some excellent advice too. (For the note the amount of 'likes' :smiley: )

I wish someone would post the video link about the measuring food guide. The visual would really be a big help to you. It's better to weigh in grammes rather than cups. (the video shows the difference in calories using both methods)

If you haven't lost weight in a month then something is off with your logging ( sorry but it is :/ ) Others have already given you pointers on what you might try.

For the record I'm petite and when I was losing I lost 0.5lb a week eating an average of 1750-1800 calories being lightly active.

All the best.
  • renee8865
    renee8865 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    OP I've skimmed through a lot of this thread. I picked up on one thing you said: your food is boring - There's no way you'll ever stick with this this if you're bored. Eat foods you like and enjoy, but of course weigh them so you know the calories obviously.

Another thing, when you see a reply that's got lots of woos (in other words its BS) That means don't listen to that poster because they are wrong. But there has been some excellent advice too. (For the note the amount of 'likes' :smiley: )

I wish someone would post the video link about the measuring food guide. The visual would really be a big help to you. It's better to weigh in grammes rather than cups. (the video shows the difference in calories using both methods)

If you haven't lost weight in a month then something is off with your logging ( sorry but it is :/ ) Others have already given you pointers on what you might try.

For the record I'm petite and when I was losing I lost 0.5lb a week eating an average of 1750-1800 calories being lightly active.

All the best.

I hate to continue being defensive, but there isn't anything majorly off with my logging. I wish I could physically show exactly what I eat and how I'm measuring and weighing my foods. The only things I wasn't weighing before two days ago were liquids, rice, almond butter, and steamed vegetables and now I'm even weighing those and it appears to be very nearly the same amount. I don't deviate. I don't eat any junk. I don't mindlessly eat or snack and I don't use condiments or oils. I write down everything that I eat and only eat what I've packed or prepared for the day. I've dieted on and off for 10 years and know the visual guides as well.

I just don't know what has happened between a year and a half ago and now. I was exercising less and eating slightly more (closer to 1500-1600 calories) and still losing weight consistently.
  • renee8865
    Options

All the best.

I hate to continue being defensive, but there isn't anything majorly off with my logging. I wish I could physically show exactly what I eat and how I'm measuring and weighing my foods. The only things I wasn't weighing before two days ago were liquids, rice, almond butter, and steamed vegetables and now I'm even weighing those and it appears to be very nearly the same amount. I don't deviate. I don't eat any junk. I don't mindlessly eat or snack and I don't use condiments or oils. I write down everything that I eat and only eat what I've packed or prepared for the day. I've dieted on and off for 10 years and know the visual guides as well.

I just don't know what has happened between a year and a half ago and now. I was exercising less and eating slightly more (closer to 1500-1600 calories) and still losing weight consistently.

dont know if you answered me but I asked if there was a possibility of being pregnant? if not then its time to see a dr to rule anything out. things can crop up fast as you age you can develop allergies or even outgrow them in a year. anything is possible.

Oh, I didn't see you asked that! Nope, absolutely no chance of that haha. Unless I'm Mary the 2nd or something. For sure anything is possible, maybe I ought to go to my doctor sooner rather than later. I haven't had a checkup in a while so it'd be good to at least see what we can rule out and even better yet, find some answers.
  • renee8865
    Options
    I'm just going to recap what changes I'm making this week and see if there is anything I should add to it:

1. Weigh all my food out and potentially log all on one day since I pretty much eat the same meals.
    2. Make sure I'm drinking enough water (usually not a problem, but I'll make sure to keep track of it better).
    3. Maybe eat back 50% of my exercise calories (I'm still not sure on this one).
    4. Check in with my doctor.
  • renee8865
    Options
    I don't have anything constructive to add for your overall issue of weightloss, but I do have the meal planning/prep/logging thing down pat. If you are buying all of your food on one day, and that's all you eat for the week, why don't you divide it all by the number of days your going to eat it, and then log that? Say you have a 300g bag of carrots, and plan to eat it over 4 days, you can log 75g for each day you plan on eating carrots. I sit and log everything for the week on Sundays. I usually do it while I'm watching TV, so it's not so boring. Then I don't deviate (or it's my responsibility to change the log on days when I do deviate). So if you want to eat rice during the week, measure out 400g (or whatever) or dry rice. You can split it into as many days as you want (or cook it all at once and then just take from the bowl. As long as at the end of the week, you've eaten what you've accounted for... it should take some of the stress out of it.

I also make meals, because I tend to eat a lot of the same foods every day, and even from week to week. I buy the same brand of yogurt. I measure it out into the same serving sizes. I even eat it at the same time every day (I like schedules, clearly! Ha ha). So if you're like that, it's one way to make tracking easier for you.

All of that, of course, can be ignored if you'd rather keep track in your book. :) You don't have to use MFP to be successful.

That's a great idea, I'll try doing that this week. Since my meals don't vary much it'd be easier than logging the same things each day. Actually, I just figured out you can create "meals" on MFP so that would help when I eat the same meals and same amounts a few days in a row. I'll get the hang of it! Thanks for the tips!

I usually buy the same brands of things, but sometimes I deviate if a similar brand is on sale. But I always check to make sure that the fat/sugar/etc is the same or at least super close. Some plain yogurts have 16g sugar per serving! That's as much as the regular fruit ones! I almost flipped out reading labels one day...like where is that sugar coming from! Finally found Chobani plain greek yogurt has only 6g per serving. Then I did some research and found that the sugar is naturally occurring milk sugar. But the staining process to remove the whey and thicken the yogurt also removes some of the milk sugar. So now I'm just eating plain greek yogurt :).
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

That's a great idea, I'll try doing that this week. Since my meals don't vary much it'd be easier than logging the same things each day. Actually, I just figured out you can create "meals" on MFP so that would help when I eat the same meals and same amounts a few days in a row. I'll get the hang of it! Thanks for the tips!

I usually buy the same brands of things, but sometimes I deviate if a similar brand is on sale. But I always check to make sure that the fat/sugar/etc is the same or at least super close. Some plain yogurts have 16g sugar per serving! That's as much as the regular fruit ones! I almost flipped out reading labels one day...like where is that sugar coming from! Finally found Chobani plain greek yogurt has only 6g per serving. Then I did some research and found that the sugar is naturally occurring milk sugar. But the staining process to remove the whey and thicken the yogurt also removes some of the milk sugar. So now I'm just eating plain greek yogurt :).

mix in some fruit(fresh) if you like and its yummy that way.
  • renee8865
    Options

Oh, I do! I add mango + banana or banana + strawberries. I'd rather get my sugar from fresh fruit rather than milk sugar or added syrups :).
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Oh, I do! I add mango + banana or banana + strawberries. I'd rather get my sugar from fresh fruit rather than milk sugar or added syrups :).

milk sugar is natural sugar but the funny part is your body doesnt notice the difference between sugars. they are all broken down and used for energy. even table sugar comes from a natural source(or sources). but fruit has fiber so its broken down slower than say eating a tsp of table sugar
  • renee8865
    Options

milk sugar is natural sugar but the funny part is your body doesnt notice the difference between sugars. they are all broken down and used for energy. even table sugar comes from a natural source(or sources). but fruit has fiber so its broken down slower than say eating a tsp of table sugar

What I mean to say is that I would rather get my sweets from things I can actually taste and enjoy :). Milk sugar isn't something I notice in plain yogurt and syrups are gross tasting to me. I love the texture and sweetness/tartness of fruit so I'd rather try and eliminate sugar other places and add fruit :).
  • renee8865
    Options
    Yay, up another .4 pounds from yesterday! Just what I love seeing every morning! (No, it's not that time of the month, either). :neutral:

I guess I'm going to try eating 1,600 calories today since I'm doing my workout today. And I'm making an appointment with my doctor. I've weighed out everything for today so I'll just weigh out another 200 calorie snack to have mid-day.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    renee8865 wrote: »

What I mean to say is that I would rather get my sweets from things I can actually taste and enjoy :). Milk sugar isn't something I notice in plain yogurt and syrups are gross tasting to me. I love the texture and sweetness/tartness of fruit so I'd rather try and eliminate sugar other places and add fruit :).

I mean there is nothing wrong with cutting things out as long as you try not to cut out whole food groups
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Yay, up another .4 pounds from yesterday! Just what I love seeing every morning! (No, it's not that time of the month, either). :neutral:

I guess I'm going to try eating 1,600 calories today since I'm doing my workout today. And I'm making an appointment with my doctor. I've weighed out everything for today so I'll just weigh out another 200 calorie snack to have mid-day.

are you close to that time of the month? I start gaining 2 weeks before I start mine I dont ovulate as I take BC pills. but you have to be retaining water or have inflammation of some sort to be gaining. are your bowels moving normally? if not that can be it. but yeah I would go to the dr asap because if its none of those something is going on.
  • Biker_SuzCO
    Biker_SuzCO Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    No real advice besides patience. I was in a similar place as you and all it took was sticking to it (for over a year)! It was hard, and I was hungry a lot of the time. I even posted an identical thread—and the advice was the same. But I powered through and lost 20 pounds! You can do it! Keep going!
  • renee8865
    Options

are you close to that time of the month? I start gaining 2 weeks before I start mine I dont ovulate as I take BC pills. but you have to be retaining water or have inflammation of some sort to be gaining. are your bowels moving normally? if not that can be it. but yeah I would go to the dr asap because if its none of those something is going on.

It's just a little over 2 weeks away, so that could be it. Otherwise, I'm fairly regular. Probably wouldn't hurt to check my fiber intake. Thanks for all of your advice!