5 weeks dieting and exercising, no weight lost. HELP!

Options

Replies

• renee8865
    renee8865 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    No real advice besides patience. I was in a similar place as you and all it took was sticking to it (for over a year)! It was hard, and I was hungry a lot of the time. I even posted an identical thread—and the advice was the same. But I powered through and lost 20 pounds! You can do it! Keep going!

I'm going to see my doctor to see if there's an issue preventing weight loss, but if there isn't then I just need to bunker down and keep going! I've been in a deficit for some time now so eventually it has to have some sort of effect. That's encouraging to hear that you eventually lost 20 pounds. I'm aiming for 30, so now I don't feel like it's completely impossible!
  • renee8865
    Options
    renee8865 wrote: »
    shanika88 wrote: »
    I don't have anything constructive to add for your overall issue of weightloss, but I do have the meal planning/prep/logging thing down pat. If you are buying all of your food on one day, and that's all you eat for the week, why don't you divide it all by the number of days your going to eat it, and then log that? Say you have a 300g bag of carrots, and plan to eat it over 4 days, you can log 75g for each day you plan on eating carrots. I sit and log everything for the week on Sundays. I usually do it while I'm watching TV, so it's not so boring. Then I don't deviate (or it's my responsibility to change the log on days when I do deviate). So if you want to eat rice during the week, measure out 400g (or whatever) or dry rice. You can split it into as many days as you want (or cook it all at once and then just take from the bowl. As long as at the end of the week, you've eaten what you've accounted for... it should take some of the stress out of it.

I also make meals, because I tend to eat a lot of the same foods every day, and even from week to week. I buy the same brand of yogurt. I measure it out into the same serving sizes. I even eat it at the same time every day (I like schedules, clearly! Ha ha). So if you're like that, it's one way to make tracking easier for you.

All of that, of course, can be ignored if you'd rather keep track in your book. :) You don't have to use MFP to be successful.

That's a great idea, I'll try doing that this week. Since my meals don't vary much it'd be easier than logging the same things each day. Actually, I just figured out you can create "meals" on MFP so that would help when I eat the same meals and same amounts a few days in a row. I'll get the hang of it! Thanks for the tips!

I usually buy the same brands of things, but sometimes I deviate if a similar brand is on sale. But I always check to make sure that the fat/sugar/etc is the same or at least super close. Some plain yogurts have 16g sugar per serving! That's as much as the regular fruit ones! I almost flipped out reading labels one day...like where is that sugar coming from! Finally found Chobani plain greek yogurt has only 6g per serving. Then I did some research and found that the sugar is naturally occurring milk sugar. But the staining process to remove the whey and thicken the yogurt also removes some of the milk sugar. So now I'm just eating plain greek yogurt :).

mix in some fruit(fresh) if you like and its yummy that way.

Oh, I do! I add mango + banana or banana + strawberries. I'd rather get my sugar from fresh fruit rather than milk sugar or added syrups :).

milk sugar is natural sugar but the funny part is your body doesnt notice the difference between sugars. they are all broken down and used for energy. even table sugar comes from a natural source(or sources). but fruit has fiber so its broken down slower than say eating a tsp of table sugar

What I mean to say is that I would rather get my sweets from things I can actually taste and enjoy :). Milk sugar isn't something I notice in plain yogurt and syrups are gross tasting to me. I love the texture and sweetness/tartness of fruit so I'd rather try and eliminate sugar other places and add fruit :).

I mean there is nothing wrong with cutting things out as long as you try not to cut out whole food groups

True, I try not to do that at all. I just have preferences for how I consume certain things. I do try to keep a lot of dairy and wheat out of my diet only because I am lactose intolerant haha (but I still love yogurt) and too much wheat gives me migraines. So generally I avoid those, but I don't eliminate them altogether. I have a history with unhealthy dieting when I was in my early 20's and it led to a lot of binging and restricting cycles so I try to be conscientious about my decisions so I don't get too obsessive again. That's another reason why this is frustrating, because I feel myself starting to obsess a little bit and I need to back off a bit.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Yay, up another .4 pounds from yesterday! Just what I love seeing every morning! (No, it's not that time of the month, either). :neutral:

I guess I'm going to try eating 1,600 calories today since I'm doing my workout today. And I'm making an appointment with my doctor. I've weighed out everything for today so I'll just weigh out another 200 calorie snack to have mid-day.

are you close to that time of the month? I start gaining 2 weeks before I start mine I dont ovulate as I take BC pills. but you have to be retaining water or have inflammation of some sort to be gaining. are your bowels moving normally? if not that can be it. but yeah I would go to the dr asap because if its none of those something is going on.

It's just a little over 2 weeks away, so that could be it. Otherwise, I'm fairly regular. Probably wouldn't hurt to check my fiber intake. Thanks for all of your advice!

you are welcome
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I don't have anything constructive to add for your overall issue of weightloss, but I do have the meal planning/prep/logging thing down pat. If you are buying all of your food on one day, and that's all you eat for the week, why don't you divide it all by the number of days your going to eat it, and then log that? Say you have a 300g bag of carrots, and plan to eat it over 4 days, you can log 75g for each day you plan on eating carrots. I sit and log everything for the week on Sundays. I usually do it while I'm watching TV, so it's not so boring. Then I don't deviate (or it's my responsibility to change the log on days when I do deviate). So if you want to eat rice during the week, measure out 400g (or whatever) or dry rice. You can split it into as many days as you want (or cook it all at once and then just take from the bowl. As long as at the end of the week, you've eaten what you've accounted for... it should take some of the stress out of it.

I also make meals, because I tend to eat a lot of the same foods every day, and even from week to week. I buy the same brand of yogurt. I measure it out into the same serving sizes. I even eat it at the same time every day (I like schedules, clearly! Ha ha). So if you're like that, it's one way to make tracking easier for you.

All of that, of course, can be ignored if you'd rather keep track in your book. :) You don't have to use MFP to be successful.

That's a great idea, I'll try doing that this week. Since my meals don't vary much it'd be easier than logging the same things each day. Actually, I just figured out you can create "meals" on MFP so that would help when I eat the same meals and same amounts a few days in a row. I'll get the hang of it! Thanks for the tips!

I usually buy the same brands of things, but sometimes I deviate if a similar brand is on sale. But I always check to make sure that the fat/sugar/etc is the same or at least super close. Some plain yogurts have 16g sugar per serving! That's as much as the regular fruit ones! I almost flipped out reading labels one day...like where is that sugar coming from! Finally found Chobani plain greek yogurt has only 6g per serving. Then I did some research and found that the sugar is naturally occurring milk sugar. But the staining process to remove the whey and thicken the yogurt also removes some of the milk sugar. So now I'm just eating plain greek yogurt :).

mix in some fruit(fresh) if you like and its yummy that way.

Oh, I do! I add mango + banana or banana + strawberries. I'd rather get my sugar from fresh fruit rather than milk sugar or added syrups :).

milk sugar is natural sugar but the funny part is your body doesnt notice the difference between sugars. they are all broken down and used for energy. even table sugar comes from a natural source(or sources). but fruit has fiber so its broken down slower than say eating a tsp of table sugar

What I mean to say is that I would rather get my sweets from things I can actually taste and enjoy :). Milk sugar isn't something I notice in plain yogurt and syrups are gross tasting to me. I love the texture and sweetness/tartness of fruit so I'd rather try and eliminate sugar other places and add fruit :).

I mean there is nothing wrong with cutting things out as long as you try not to cut out whole food groups

True, I try not to do that at all. I just have preferences for how I consume certain things. I do try to keep a lot of dairy and wheat out of my diet only because I am lactose intolerant haha (but I still love yogurt) and too much wheat gives me migraines. So generally I avoid those, but I don't eliminate them altogether. I have a history with unhealthy dieting when I was in my early 20's and it led to a lot of binging and restricting cycles so I try to be conscientious about my decisions so I don't get too obsessive again. That's another reason why this is frustrating, because I feel myself starting to obsess a little bit and I need to back off a bit.

yeah I can definitely understand that. also get a tape measure and take measurements once a week. the scale doesnt always tell the real picture. if you are losing inches then you are losing fat. maybe it wont be as stressful either.
  • renee8865
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I'm not sure where a better place to put these would be, but I took my measurements today. I'll re-measure in 4 weeks.

Measurements:
    Bust: 36.5
    Upper hips (where underwear waistband goes): 36
    Lower hips (around fullest part of bum): 42
    Thigh: 24.4
    Calf: 14.5
    Neck: 13.25
    L Arm: 12
    R Arm: 12.25
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I'm not sure where a better place to put these would be, but I took my measurements today. I'll re-measure in 4 weeks.

Measurements:

you forgot waist lol but in the web version you can go here and add your measurements http://www.myfitnesspal.com/measurements/check_in

and on mobile I have no idea where it is
  • AlbiesWifey2017
    AlbiesWifey2017 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    rach3116 wrote: »
    My weight loss calculation for calories is 1,146/day. It’s low, and will only get lower so that’s why workouts are imperative for me. Also, I calculate like so: fruits and veggies (with no oil or condiments) are free. I do count starchy veggies. I’ve still always lost weight doing this and it helps me consistently consume more fruits and veggies.
    I can tell you that I gain weight at 1600 calories a day. Many of us need far fewer calories than we think.
    I say lower your net intake!
    Feel free to add me, I’m open diary.

Oh geeze. So much Woo in this post. fruits and veggies have calories so the OP is right. You aren't actually eating 1,146calories/day. Also, someone else had a good question, how tall are you to gain at 1600 calories a day? I was going to check your diary out of curiosity but it's not open to the public.

I’m new, on day two.... What specifically is “Woo”, please??
  • renee8865
    Options

Measurements:

you forgot waist lol but in the web version you can go here and add your measurements http://www.myfitnesspal.com/measurements/check_in

and on mobile I have no idea where it is

Ooops, I didn't forget to measure, just forgot to put it down. My waist is 29. Sigh haha
  • renee8865
    Options
    You should try intermittent fasting and cut out all sugar, even fruit, all bread and pasta. Meat and veggies and nuts. Weight loss is calories in vs calories out.

You say weight loss is calories in/calories out after saying to cut entire groups of food out? If you've checked my intake/food diary, you'll see I don't eat bread or pasta. However, I'm unwilling to cut out fruit. I don't see any logical reason to do so.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You should try intermittent fasting and cut out all sugar, even fruit, all bread and pasta. Meat and veggies and nuts. Weight loss is calories in vs calories out.

You say weight loss is calories in/calories out after saying to cut entire groups of food out? If you've checked my intake/food diary, you'll see I don't eat bread or pasta. However, I'm unwilling to cut out fruit. I don't see any logical reason to do so.

You are right OP, no need to cut out fruit or any food group.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options

Well the bolded part is right at least.
  • renee8865
    Options
    Well, I'm not saying this IS the answer since I haven't talked to my doctor yet, but sheesh...I experience almost all of the symptoms related to hypothyroidism. In fact, my first time at Orange Theory (they make you wear a heart monitor) I was so frustrated because my heart rate was so low and I couldn't get it up high enough to get into the Orange zone (I'm not that in shape either, so it's not like my heart is super strong).

Fatigue - YES ALL THE TIME
    Increased sensitivity to cold- YES
    Constipation- fairly regular, but TMI I have to force it
    Dry skin- HECK YES
    Weight gain - YES
    Puffy face
    Hoarseness
    Muscle weakness- YES
    Elevated blood cholesterol level
    Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness- YES
    Pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints-YES
    Heavier than normal or irregular menstrual periods-YES
    Thinning hair
    Slowed heart rate- YES
    Depression- YES :(
    Impaired memory- YES...short term memory is terrible
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Well, I'm not saying this IS the answer since I haven't talked to my doctor yet, but sheesh...I experience almost all of the symptoms related to hypothyroidism. In fact, my first time at Orange Theory (they make you wear a heart monitor) I was so frustrated because my heart rate was so low and I couldn't get it up high enough to get into the Orange zone (I'm not that in shape either, so it's not like my heart is super strong).

Fatigue - YES ALL THE TIME
    Increased sensitivity to cold- YES
    Constipation- fairly regular, but TMI I have to force it
    Dry skin- HECK YES
    Weight gain - YES
    Puffy face
    Hoarseness
    Muscle weakness- YES
    Elevated blood cholesterol level
    Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness- YES
    Pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints-YES
    Heavier than normal or irregular menstrual periods-YES
    Thinning hair
    Slowed heart rate- YES
    Depression- YES :(
    Impaired memory- YES...short term memory is terrible

with all these symptoms definitely get a full panel bloodwork done. My daughter has hypothyroid. her first results showed a thyroid issue and was referred to an endocrinologist. where for 2 years her tests showed no issues. then all of a sudden her levels were through the roof. so if that happens(where its normal or even just a little elevated) just have them keep checking,better yet refer you to an endo. even with very little calories my daughter was gaining weight.she has no appetite now and still eats very little. but with her meds she is maintaining her weight. with her eating so little for so long her metabolism has slowed down quite a bit. she is feeling better but still has a lot of some of those symptoms.

also with constipation NEVER force it. it can cause tears and hemorrhoids. get a fiber supplement and drink plenty of water.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    You can try a Daniels Fast. That always causes me to lose at least 5+lbs, in 21 days. Just be careful going back to your normal diet. But I think you'll feel so good, you won't want to.

most of those things are for short term and losing more than 5lbs in 21 days,if you dont have a lot to lose then most of it will be water weight. all she needs to do is get checked for a possible health issue,deal with that first and then all she needs is a calorie deficit.
  • renee8865
    Options
    I injured my back on Friday, boooo. I was supposed to go workout after work, but I had to cancel my session at Orange Theory. I woke up yesterday and couldn’t get myself out of bed. The nerve in my back was pinched so badly that my left leg had gone weak. Today it still hurts pretty badly, but I was able to get up and move around a bit. If I turn my shoulders too much to the right, I feel a sharp pain in my back. So I’m sitting and walking like a crooked old lady. My intake yesterday was pretty poor but I’m trying to get some foods prepped today while I’m feeling up to it.