Question for those that weigh themselves daily

Options

Replies

• MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Im about to start weighing daily again as I love the data.
    Mondays are my WEEKLY record days-regardless.period.the end.
    The rest are fluctuations and for me to see how what I eat affects the trends.
    From weighing daily previously I learned that when I ovulate I gain 1-2lbs for 2 days. Monthlies bring me up 2-3lbs for 3 or 4 days. Pizza and Chinese food <within/close to daily calorie goal> boost me 2-3lbs that I carry for 3-4 days sometimes!! My body with jacked up sodium is a water retention nightmare worse than hormones!
    So i dont weigh daily for anything other than information- and Mondays are what i weigh-sodium filled or not. :)

*PS- I use Happy Scale and my Aria speaks to MFP so the daily weigh-ins are there too.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I don't "official" weigh-ins either but I do use Happy Scale also. I would take your moving average from the app as your "official" weight on the designated day. For the iOS app it's in the center column of the "Logbook" at the bottom.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    My scale talks to everything as well, so I just step on it in the morning and that's the weight MFP gets.
  • AmandaEdwards1
    AmandaEdwards1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I weigh-in daily but I don't really share it with anyone unless the number is good or bad and then my bf hears about it.

Maybe if you notice you are having lower weigh-ins on Saturdays you could start weighing in two times a week on IG. That way your followers can see that weight loss is not linear and bodies fluctuate but that you still keep going even when you see those higher numbers.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I don't have an "official" weigh in day and I don't update friends on social media. I just put the weight I am on the days that I weigh in into my FitBit app.
  • chantalemarie
    chantalemarie Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    why don't you take an average for the whole week, that way it's way more consistent and it's not on a "high" or "low" day
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    For consideration on the topic of sharing/status updated on social media, a TED talk I watched on the psychology of talking about goals I found interesting.

https://www.ted.com/talks/derek_sivers_keep_your_goals_to_yourself
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I try and updated every Saturday.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I just use whatever it says on Fridays because that's my official weigh in day.

Me too. Friday no matter what it says
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand the need for an official weight or official weigh in day. You don't have a "real" or "official" weight. I weigh every day and think of my weight as a range. If someone asks me my weight I say "low 160's" since my weight fluctuates between 160-165. If I have to choose one number for a form or something I'll choose something in the middle like 162 or 163.
  • claritea1
    claritea1 Posts: 23 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I really like the averaging the week out and using that number
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I enter my daily weight into mfp and Happy Scale, but I don't share my weight with anyone, really. If someone were to ask me how much I weigh, I'd give a rough average of my last few days, excluding any extreme highs or lows due to water, PMS, etc.

For the past 7-10 days, my Happy Scale trend weight has been a good 1.5 lbs lower than my daily weight. The trend weight is just starting to go up, due to PMS the past week. So I feel like my trend weight is currently low and my real weight is currently high, so my true weight is somewhere in between.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and care the most for Monday, which is my way of saying that my worst days are the days I don't have workplace schedule to work with. Living home with my wife, kids, and pantry is where my struggle is, so focusing on my Monday weight seems to help me remind myself to stay on plan through the weekend.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Sunday AM is the only time that counts. Every other day is just to give me a rough idea of how I'm doing.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    I don't really understand the need for an official weight or official weigh in day. You don't have a "real" or "official" weight. I weigh every day and think of my weight as a range. If someone asks me my weight I say "low 160's" since my weight fluctuates between 160-165. If I have to choose one number for a form or something I'll choose something in the middle like 162 or 163.

Some folks have threads or check in groups here where they post to keep themselves accountable to others. So they pick a day and post their weight for others to see.

Personal choice.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    My weight doesn’t fluctuate barely any, save for the occasional loss, then it stays completely the same for a few days, then a small drop.. and so on. Maybe my scale is awful?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,595 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Every time I weigh myself my weight gets updated to Fitbit, trendweight, and MFP.

I don't often post weights. When I do, i tend to discuss both trending and scale weight

When people ask i either respond with a range or give them my trending weight figure from trendweight.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    SteamPug wrote: »
    My weight doesn’t fluctuate barely any, save for the occasional loss, then it stays completely the same for a few days, then a small drop.. and so on. Maybe my scale is awful?

Some scales will display the last result if the change isn't beyond some threshold. Stupid, but they are out there and I had one.

Try stepping on the scale with one foot, stepping off and then weighing normally. See if that gives you a different number.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I log daily in Libra and only log in MFP when I have a loss of one pound or more. I make sure that one pound loss has been there a couple of days (give or take some ounces). Libra is definitely better for tracking loss!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    claritea1 wrote: »
    I weigh myself every morning and use happy scale to see the trend. Of course, my daily weight goes up-and-down, but is on a general downward trend. Wednesday is my official weigh-day where I update MFP and update my friends on IG. The problem is, I may have my very lowest weight on a Saturday and then my weight might go back up 3 pounds Wednesday. So my question for those that weigh every day, do you use your lowest weight of the week for the official loss or do you use the actual? Thanks!

No if you hand pick out your favorite weight then that is kind of ignoring the point that over time any noise from fluctuation will cancel out (ie for every high there is a low) and over time you will see the underlying trend. Just don't obsess over the day to day values, just record them to track the overall trend over time.

Alternatively you could use a moving average if you really want a number to look at every day.