Ketogains

Options
13»

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    At this point, I'm going to agree to disagree. I apologize @piascore if I caused the deviation in the topic you intended this thread to have. I only meant to suggest trying out BCAAs and checking out Dr. Berg's video as both have benefited me in gaining muscle while on keto. I hope that my posts here were, at the very least, helpful in some way to you! :)

LOL Dr. Berg is a fraking chiropractics and a reported scam artist. No wonder your *info is so misinformed

You do realize that chiropractics can have a specialization or a practice in nutrition, right?

Lol, keep digging that credibility hole.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    At this point, I'm going to agree to disagree. I apologize @piascore if I caused the deviation in the topic you intended this thread to have. I only meant to suggest trying out BCAAs and checking out Dr. Berg's video as both have benefited me in gaining muscle while on keto. I hope that my posts here were, at the very least, helpful in some way to you! :)

LOL Dr. Berg is a fraking chiropractics and a reported scam artist. No wonder your *info is so misinformed

You do realize that chiropractics can have a specialization or a practice in nutrition, right?

Lol, keep digging that credibility hole.

At least there’s credibility to begin with! ;)

Not so much......
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Is this the same "Dr" Berg who believes in these methods?

i. The Body Restoration Technique ("BRT"), a procedure whereby vials of distilled water containing homeopathic imprints are held over certain designated body organs or parts while the practitioner applies tactile pressure through tapping or rubbing acupressure points, allegedly to assist in restoring hormone balance and to address other symptoms;

ii. Nambudripad's Allergy Elimination Technique ("NAET"), a technique that uses pressure points in certain locations of the body allegedly to improve food allergies and environmental and chemical sensitivities;

iii. Contact Reflex Analysis ("CRA"), an alleged nutritional analysis that relies on muscle testing and acupuncture points; and

iv. Acoustic Cardiograph (" ACG"), an alleged nutritional evaluation based on heart sounds recorded and visualized on a graph.

His Medical Board didn't seem too impressed with him.....
    https://www.casewatch.org/board/chiro/berg.shtml

He's not even putting the infinitely diluted water into someone's body, he's just holding it in the person's general direction? Now that's a new level of homeopathy bull.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I've seen it all....you know society is going to hell when you hear people claiming keto and BCAA's work for optimal muscle building :D Please tell us why athletes like Michael Phelps eat a *kitten* ton of carbs??? Why do athletes for the majority avoid ketogenic diets??? As for BCAA's, they are so useless, but you have to give credit to supplement companies and phony doctors in brainwashing many people into thinking how usefull they are. They make so much profits over something that at worse can make you lose more muscles (and yes that has been documented - see Alan Aragon's research on that).
  • mmapags
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    I've seen it all....you know society is going to hell when you hear people claiming keto and BCAA's work for optimal muscle building :D Please tell us why athletes like Michael Phelps eat a *kitten* ton of carbs??? Why do athletes for the majority avoid ketogenic diets??? As for BCAA's, they are so useless, but you have to give credit to supplement companies and phony doctors in brainwashing many people into thinking how usefull they are. They make so much profits over something that at worse can make you lose more muscles (and yes that has been documented - see Alan Aragon's research on that).
    For the first bolded statement above, I just can't imagine, short of health condition improved by keto, one would attempt this. Gaining muscle on keto is doing it the hard way!

The second bolded is what Anvil was getting at up thread regarding MPS. The studies and article I posted were from Alan.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    For the first bolded statement above, I just can't imagine, short of health condition improved by keto, one would attempt this. Gaining muscle on keto is doing it the hard way!

The second bolded is what Anvil was getting at up thread regarding MPS. The studies and article I posted were from Alan.

Keto is horrible for building muscles on a caloric surplus and horrible to maintain muscles on a fat loss diet. Study after study shows it and it mind boggles me that people still defend keto in that area. Carbs, although not necessary for survival is what makes a person thrive at the gym. It gives you that energy needed to go through a grinding workout. Outside of that, I could understand one going keto if they have health issues, they lack discipline because of carbs or they just enjoy a high fat diet. Keto does have benefits for someone who doesn't train and only wants to lose weight, but for people who do train, study after study show that keto is the diet with the poorest result when it comes to the otimization of building muscles. I am not saying you can't build muscles with keto, all I am saying is that you won't maximize your gains with it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    piascore wrote: »
    Hello! Can I ask if anyone here does Ketogains? High protein, moderate fats and low carb whilst lifting (which I love to do).

I don't do keto, and never will, but there are things to consider if you are going to be in a surplus to gain muscle. First, and most importantly, you need a solid progressive overload lifting program.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest

Second, I'd recommend looking into timing your carbs around your workouts and consider carb refeeds like they do as part of CKD.

Third, I hope you are starting fairly lean (~ 20% for a female). Muscle gains favor the lean due to the association to being more insulin sensitive.

Regarding the science, I think the current evidence we have would suggest that it is inferior for overall strength and muscle gains (see here on the lastest meta-analyses) but within that, there is a ton of individual variability.

Regarding BCAAs, the latest meta-analyses do not support the benefits of BCAAs. Even if they stimulate MPS, it doesn't support increase protein turnover (creating more cells than destroying). So it's the equivalent of having a match without any wood.
  • TyTravis007
    TyTravis007 Posts: 77 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Hello! Can I ask if anyone here does Ketogains? High protein, moderate fats and low carb whilst lifting (which I love to do).

I don't do keto, and never will, but there are things to consider if you are going to be in a surplus to gain muscle. First, and most importantly, you need a solid progressive overload lifting program.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest

Second, I'd recommend looking into timing your carbs around your workouts and consider carb refeeds like they do as part of CKD.

Third, I hope you are starting fairly lean (~ 20% for a female). Muscle gains favor the lean due to the association to being more insulin sensitive.

Regarding the science, I think the current evidence we have would suggest that it is inferior for overall strength and muscle gains (see here on the lastest meta-analyses) but within that, there is a ton of individual variability.

Regarding BCAAs, the latest meta-analyses do not support the benefits of BCAAs. Even if they stimulate MPS, it doesn't support increase protein turnover (creating more cells than destroying). So it's the equivalent of having a match without any wood.

In regards to your "meta-analysis," where on earth is that picture from? I did a google-images search and can't find it on any reliable sources.
  • mmapags
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

In regards to your "meta-analysis," where on earth is that picture from? I did a google-images search and can't find it on any reliable sources.

http://sci-fit.net/2017/ketogenic-diet-fat-muscle-performance/
  • anthonynaylor
    anthonynaylor Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sorry for being lazy and not reading the thread, but:

I haven't heard of ketogains, but you don't really need more than 0.8-1.2g of protein per pound of lean body mass to gain. So I don't know why you'd need protein to be higher than fat for energy.
  • mmapags
    edited February 2018
    Options

I haven't heard of ketogains, but you don't really need more than 0.8-1.2g of protein per pound of lean body mass to gain. So I don't know why you'd need protein to be higher than fat for energy.

I don't think anyone said that you would. It does help to actually read the thread before responding.
  • anthonynaylor
    anthonynaylor Posts: 29 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone said that you would. It does help to actually read the thread before responding.

Besides the OP...