Anyone training for a 5k?

Options
Anyone else training for a 5k? I used to be an avid runner and completed half marathons and one full years ago before kids and significant weight gain. Hoping to get back at it! Currently doing the couch to 5k training program. Thought it would be fun to have a few MFP friends to encourage throughout the training process.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    I think there is a C25k group here on MFP.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I am going to start -- I need to go get fitted for good shoes though
  • greyparks206
    greyparks206 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I’m in Week 5 of the C25k program (dreaded 20 minute jog coming up in about an hour...). Feel free to add me! I’ve never been a runner before, but I’m starting to actually like it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner... training for a half marathon.
  • hermajestee
    hermajestee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm signed up to run a 5k on March 11th. I had my 3rd abdominal surgery in 3 years in November & trying to get back in shape is killing me!! I also used to be an avid runner - I did a marathon in 98. I would love some encouragement & accountability! Add me!
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I’m in Week 5 of the C25k program (dreaded 20 minute jog coming up in about an hour...). Feel free to add me! I’ve never been a runner before, but I’m starting to actually like it.

You can do it! I feel the same way before my long runs. How long have you been training for?
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    hpopik1 wrote: »
    One of my goals is to run a 5K. I think running a 5K in my 60's would be an accomplishment I guess it's a refuse to get old thing

My dad is in his early-mid 60s. I’ve been making him feel like *kitten* about only jogging 4 miles once per week.

He’s now biking (easy, but at least 40 min) every other day and jogging once per week. Yeah!!!! Go dad
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    goatg wrote: »
    I'm a runner... training for a half marathon.

Shhh!!

(I do at least a half marathon every weekend;) )

Wow, you're delightful
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Yay, C25Kers!!!

I love C25K! It's a great program.

I did 2 days of C25K during the week and parkrun on the Saturday as best I could, and was able to run my first 5 km after 10 weeks.

If you want to learn about and discuss all things running and share your battles and successes with supportive people, go to the Challenges forum and post in the Monthly Running Challenges threads. There is one every month, and they have been going for years. Love the MFP running challenge community. :heart:

February's thread is here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10638437/february-2018-running-challenge

Or look out for the March thread.

Happy running!
  • Joyous2018
    Joyous2018 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Yay, C25Kers!!!

I love C25K! It's a great program.

I did 2 days of C25K during the week and parkrun on the Saturday as best I could, and was able to run my first 5 km after 10 weeks.

If you want to learn about and discuss all things running and share your battles and successes with supportive people, go to the Challenges forum and post in the Monthly Running Challenges threads. There is one every month, and they have been going for years. Love the MFP running challenge community. :heart:

February's thread is here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10638437/february-2018-running-challenge

Or look out for the March thread.

Happy running!

I second this, a very supportive group of people. I'm getting back into running and also working through a C25K program.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I did C25K last summer and have since run in 2 5K races, and a 10K race. I've got a 10K race next weekend and am currently training for a half marathon. There is nothing quite like running...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    hpopik1 wrote: »
    One of my goals is to run a 5K. I think running a 5K in my 60's would be an accomplishment I guess it's a refuse to get old thing

I ran my first 5k at 61 and I’d never run even 1 mile before in my life! You will do it. C25k is great.
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I've been running a long time, since high school, but I'm a slow runner. I have to watch over-training effects because I spend more time on my feet/legs for the same amount of distance as fast runners. Currently working to build back up my fitness for a HM in April. There are many good beginning programs, pick one and stick with it because they will all get you to a 5k goal. Don't feel bad about walking if you need to, but just like dieting, you can't just stop because you have a bad day or week where you don't meet your goal. Also for the newbies in a race, don't run while drinking water.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @Orphia , @Joyous2018 and @sarahthes beat me to this. There are multiple C25K groups on MFP. The one I know of is http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/970137/daily-check-in-thread#latest. Lots of support and encouragement from others working there way so various programs. Join in and have fun.
    Like any social media there will always be a few delightful - spiteful pot stirring downers, ignore them like everyone else and they disappear.
    SusanUW83 wrote: »
    Don't feel bad about walking if you need to, but just like dieting, you can't just stop because you have a bad day or week where you don't meet your goal. Also for the newbies in a race, don't run while drinking water.

Two good pieces of advice - wisdom ^^. I know a lady who inhaled the water rather than drinking and she was in a lot of pain/discomfort until she could cough it all up.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Look up and see if theres a parkrun in your local area. Its a 5km timed run/walk each week. I used to follow my C25k instructions while doing the park run.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    30kgin2017 wrote: »
    Look up and see if theres a parkrun in your local area. Its a 5km timed run/walk each week. I used to follow my C25k instructions while doing the park run.

^^This. They are fun and you can meet other people at all different levels. Our has walker and runners of all speeds.