Fatty liver

Over all I'm pretty fit. I exercise regularly playing Squash, Tennis and the occasionally running but I have some fat on my liver which doctors think is causing a raised ALT. I don't drink but I eat all sorts of junk food. So I've started dieting no junks. I've already lost 6kgs, gone from 86 to 80. I want to lose 5 more. My height is 6'3. Help

Replies

• saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    If the ALT level is above the normal range, I would certainly keep a close eye on this. It can hide something nasty.

I don't think that "I exercise regularly playing Squash, Tennis and the occasionally running" has anything to do worsening it.

Do you have in your relatives people with liver-related concerns?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Welcome :) You've done amazing. What do you need help with?
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Over all I'm pretty fit. I exercise regularly playing Squash, Tennis and the occasionally running but I have some fat on my liver which doctors think is causing a raised ALT. I don't drink but I eat all sorts of junk food. So I've started dieting no junks. I've already lost 6kgs, gone from 86 to 80. I want to lose 5 more. My height is 6'3. Help

Does the doctor have any suggestions to help your liver?
  • Saifnasirpk
    Saifnasirpk Posts: 26 Member
    saintor1 wrote: »
    If the ALT level is above the normal range, I would certainly keep a close eye on this. It can hide something nasty.

I don't think that "I exercise regularly playing Squash, Tennis and the occasionally running" has anything to do worsening it.

Do you have in your relatives people with liver-related concerns?
    No not that I know of. I think my grandfather had a fatty liver. Doctors are just telling me to lose the fat.
  • Saifnasirpk
    raymax4 wrote: »

Does the doctor have any suggestions to help your liver?

Yes, stop all oily food. Go on a strict diet. Basically to lose the fat on my liver.
  • Saifnasirpk

Anything that's good at reducing fat on my liver specifically. If I keep reducing my weight I'll be bones
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Have you used MFP to set your goal calories and started tracking? I'd want to lose these last 5kgs in a slow and controlled fashion. Congrats on getting the first 6kgs off and cleaning up your diet.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Increase your consumption of fruits vegetables and eat lean meats. Switch from fried foods to things that are grilled or baked. Think of your liver as a filter and you naturally want to keep it clean . Increase your water consumption too as it helps clean the filter.
  • Saifnasirpk
    Have you used MFP to set your goal calories and started tracking? I'd want to lose these last 5kgs in a slow and controlled fashion. Congrats on getting the first 6kgs off and cleaning up your diet.

I just started using MFP yesterday. I've been dieting 3 weeks now. What I did was cut in between snacks. Porridge for breakfast, a light lunch and a bowl of soup for dinner. You could say I was just having 2 meals a day. And I continued my exercises.
  • Saifnasirpk
    Increase your consumption of fruits vegetables and eat lean meats. Switch from fried foods to things that are grilled or baked. Think of your liver as a filter and you naturally want to keep it clean . Increase your water consumption too as it helps clean the filter.

Extremely helpful. Thank you so much.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Have they checked other labs? You mention your grandfather, so have you been checked for hemochromatosis? There are many causes of elevated liver functions some being more benign than others.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I just have a few questions. Do you drink? If you do, cut back. Do you have diabetes? If you do, that can cause a fatty liver. What were your triglyceride levels? If they are high that can cause a fatty liver as well. Best Wishes and good luck!
  • goldthistime

Anything that's good at reducing fat on my liver specifically. If I keep reducing my weight I'll be bones

Do you lift weights? If not, you should consider starting.

• Saifnasirpk

I just started using MFP yesterday. I've been dieting 3 weeks now. What I did was cut in between snacks. Porridge for breakfast, a light lunch and a bowl of soup for dinner. You could say I was just having 2 meals a day. And I continued my exercises.

That doesn't sound like enough calories to be sustainable

Yes, I couldn't afford to lose weight slowly and gradually. I had to be more extreme because of the reason why I had to lose it. Basically I have to get low and check if my medical problem still persists.
  • Saifnasirpk
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I just have a few questions. Do you drink? If you do, cut back. Do you have diabetes? If you do, that can cause a fatty liver. What were your triglyceride levels? If they are high that can cause a fatty liver as well. Best Wishes and good luck!

No, never touched Alcohol, no diabetes, haven't checked the triglyceride level recently. I'll do so
  • Saifnasirpk
    cathipa wrote: »
    Have they checked other labs? You mention your grandfather, so have you been checked for hemochromatosis? There are many causes of elevated liver functions some being more benign than others.

Yes multiple labs. Not hemochromatosis. Only thing off is fatty liver. Everything else normal
  • goldthistime

That doesn't sound like enough calories to be sustainable

Yes, I couldn't afford to lose weight slowly and gradually. I had to be more extreme because of the reason why I had to lose it. Basically I have to get low and check if my medical problem still persists.

Do you still feel that way for the next 5kgs? Does your Dr agree with that approach. Obviously I'm no doctor but I would have been tempted to lose the first bit quickly as you did, after that though I would definitely be concentrating on doing it in a healthy and sustainable fashion.