Low protein diet to reduce hanging skin?

Options
Read in a blog or pseudo-sciency article recently that you should REDUCE your protein intake while on a diet so that your body will cannibalize extra skin. The photo that accompanied it was of a man who had lost weight, had good muscle development but lots of extra skin. I dismissed it as nonsense initially but later started thinking that the connection between muscle loss and protein intake is unequivocal--skin contains protein, is it really that impossible that a lower protein diet would lead to less hanging skin?

I went back to find the blurb but couldn't find it (you're not missing much). Then I went looking for studies on the topic and couldn't find anyway. All I found was another opinion piece that suggested adequate protein was necessary for skin's elasticity (so the opposite conclusion).

Has anyone come across reliable information on the relationship between protein consumption and excess skin while dieting?

Replies

• fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    No No No...do not go low protein. I suggest you read or watch Mike Matthews podcast about it:
    https://legionathletics.com/loose-skin-weight-loss/

and

Youtube: https://youtube.com/watch?v=TG_sF7PMiME

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    This won't work. Unlike muscle, skin gets REPRODUCED daily and is the made of the same structure as hair and nails. It's just not PROTEIN. But if you want to get rid of excess skin you could callus it up and then just cut it off. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaVVO_bl3hA

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    I really know nothing about this. But I wonder, if you can’t direct which fat you want to burn, how would you be able to direct your body to burn up your excess skin rather than muscle or organs?

IF there were ever evidence to support lower protein consumption to reduce hanging skin, I would have to assume that people would be instructed to maintain a high enough level to protect their organs.

Let's get specific. SAD is said to be 15% protein. Bodybuilders and dieters are generally encouraged to have much more, at least 20 or 30%. But there are definitely proponents of 10% protein. Valter Longo is one of those proponents (but in his case he argues for low protein for longevity vs the skin thing). I tried looking for criticisms of Longo and didn't find much. Surely he would meet a lot of opposition if 10% wasn't enough to protect your organs.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    This won't work. Unlike muscle, skin gets REPRODUCED daily and is the made of the same structure as hair and nails. It's just not PROTEIN. But if you want to get rid of excess skin you could callus it up and then just cut it off. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaVVO_bl3hA

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

:blush: Between pedicures and my dermatologist cutting away precancerous stuff I shouldn't need to worry about extra skin.

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Seeing how mine is on my neck, this seems like a really bad idea... :smiley:
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    I really know nothing about this. But I wonder, if you can’t direct which fat you want to burn, how would you be able to direct your body to burn up your excess skin rather than muscle or organs?

IF there were ever evidence to support lower protein consumption to reduce hanging skin, I would have to assume that people would be instructed to maintain a high enough level to protect their organs.

Let's get specific. SAD is said to be 15% protein. Bodybuilders and dieters are generally encouraged to have much more, at least 20 or 30%. But there are definitely proponents of 10% protein. Valter Longo is one of those proponents (but in his case he argues for low protein for longevity vs the skin thing). I tried looking for criticisms of Longo and didn't find much. Surely he would meet a lot of opposition if 10% wasn't enough to protect your organs.

Mon

I am sure the 10% would be welcome news to many vegans. I, on the otherhand would not be as concerned about the impact low protein would have on my muscles and organs as much as I would be concerned about being hungry all the time.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet that the article is by Dr. Jason Fung. He tends to not be well thought of by many from what I read in the forums. He's very keen on fasting. I have no opinion really. I do find Rosedale's and Longo's research interesting.

Not surprised. And I was equally not surprised when I clicked the link, read through the article and rolled my eyes so hard I gave myself a brain scan from all the woo Fung vomited in that article. Oh Gawd. Just when I thought he couldn't possibly be any further off base, he went and proved me wrong again. You'd think an M.D. would know at least a little bit about actual physiology.

:)
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Saggy skin comes down to
    1. Speed of loss
    2. Amount of loss
    3. Genetics
    4. Time some skin sag will firm up in time
    5.(not sure) I have heard hydration so staying well hydrated is supposed to make for more elastic skin. I am not sure if fact or woo. However staying well hydrated has many other health benefits so might be a small additional plus.