How do you feel in your 40's?

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Just turned 46 and feeling great! I'm more fit than I've ever been. I just hit the weight I was in my teens (14 lbs overweight and how I wish I could've stayed there instead of eventually gaining 100 more lbs...) I feel like I'm in my 20s, except I wasn't this fit in my 20s...
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    edited February 2018
    I remember being between a 1X a size 12 after losing weight in my 20s and thought that was the best I could do. Then I got comfy and gained it back. I was obese, prediabetic, stressed out and pissed off about all of it in my 30s and eating for comfort. I dropped to a size 4 with WW and MFP in my early forties. I'll be 42 in 2 weeks and plan on getting even better. I have gray hair, wrinkles, and loose skin, but my new muscle makes those non- issues.
  • Yay, I will remain hopeful!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I lost weight in my early 60s and am now in the physical shape of my life!
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    I started working out at 44. At 45, I am more fit than at any time of my life - and I love the other perks of being this age, such as more freedom to do what I want and the ability to say no to other people without feeling guilty.
  • sylvahiker
    sylvahiker Posts: 588 Member
    I’m 46 and exercise and fun regularly. I agree with poster above - I feel more fit now than ever before !! We can rock after 40
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    I was in my best shape from my late 20s until my late 30s. Then my fitness level started tapering off and hit a low when I was 42 and ended up in hospital with DVT. It took me a long time to get back from that, but I was in pretty good shape again at 44. Things kind of tapered off again, but when I reached 49, I was back at the weight I had been in my mid-30s and was doing most of the long-distance cycling I had been doing during my 30s. :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Soon to be 44, hard to compare to my younger self. At the time I graduated college, I was a machine, strong and very fit. Maintained that thru my 20's and early 30's. Let things slide mid 30's until I decided to lose weight and run a couple marathons. Went from 185 to 165 and felt awesome. Never got tired, but wasn't nearly as strong as I used to be. So I started working on being both strong and capable of running very far distances. Building my work capacity has helped that a lot. Also some trial and error and balancing things I need to do vs things I want to do haha. The biggest difference between now and my younger self is speed and explosive power. And sometimes a little longer to get warmed up.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    I'm 37 and I don't know what it's like to feel good in your 20s because I was fat BUT I bet I feel the same. Definitely feel great!
  • memickee
    memickee Posts: 250 Member
    At 46 I feel and look better than I have ever have!
  • yogastrongmama
    yogastrongmama Posts: 37 Member
    I'm 41 in a month, and have always been pretty fit. But I have to say, the almost daily yoga practice I started a couple years ago has me feeling more youthful than I felt in my 20s and 30s!
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    I will be 44 in a few months. I have lost a total 49lbs!! I have started weight training and have put on a good amount of muscle. I feel fan-freaking-tastic!! I feel so much better than when I was in my 20's. I was thin, but not fit. I ate whatever I wanted and smoked. Now I am fit, eat healthy and stopped smoking. I now run Half Marathons and cycle over 100 kms (62miles).
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Love the skin you are in at every age! Be the best version of yourself and enjoy your journey. When I was in my 20's I did not think I had a great body, I hid it. I am 5'7". I weighed in the 120's in my 20's and I did nothing to earn it, purely genetics. In my forties I looked back at my twenties and thought what a shame, I did not appreciate it. I started running and enjoying my strength and kept fit. I am now in my 50's. I constantly remind myself to love myself and try to do the best with what I have NOW. People are surprised when I tell them my age.

Everyone is different, mentally, physically, genetically. Enjoy the skin you are in, I say! and try for the best NOW, don't compare!
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    When I get there I imagine I'm gonna feel depressed as hell. I'm 36 now and feverishly trying to find a way to slow down or reverse time.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I have quite a bit of weight to lose and one of the things that keeps me motivated is how good and energetic I will feel when I lose the weight. I keep thinking I can get back to how I felt in my 20's. Am I completely delusional? Can a person in their 40's get back to the condition of a 20/30 year old?

I think it will depend on why you don't feel the same now. Weight can be lost and fitness can be improved but whether you can be all you were at 20 or 30 is variable, and the variables are many. But you can be the best you can be right now.

I'm 55 and I've honestly never felt much different than I did when I was 20ish. Not even when I was overweight. If it weren't for mirrors I could be happily delusional that the outside matches the inside.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    I'm 46 and I feel great. My knees hurt more and I'm starting to get a sore hip. But I'm definitely stronger than I was in my 20s. It definitely takes a lot more effort at the gym and counting calories to lose weight than it did 20 years ago. Also, I'm starting to notice that my legs look kinda old...like some veins and stuff. *shrugs* What ya gonna do?