How do you feel in your 40's?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    sgtx81 wrote: »
    When I get there I imagine I'm gonna feel depressed as hell. I'm 36 now and feverishly trying to find a way to slow down or reverse time.

Why? Geez, 36? You are still so young.

You can't reverse time. No matter what you do, time marches on. Just be glad that you are here to see the march. Enjoy every minute because it goes by so very fast.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    sgtx81 wrote: »
    When I get there I imagine I'm gonna feel depressed as hell. I'm 36 now and feverishly trying to find a way to slow down or reverse time.

Why? Geez, 36? You are still so young.

You can't reverse time. No matter what you do, time marches on. Just be glad that you are here to see the march. Enjoy every minute because it goes by so very fast.

It is depressing, I ain't gonna lie. On the other hand, it's a privilege denied to many so I'm happy to be here.
  • Garnica2018
    Garnica2018 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I feel awesome!!!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I'm nearly 49. A lot of people think that I'm in my 30s (lets go with that!). I got into my best physical condition in my 40s. Like, confidently wore a bikini to the beach condition. As far as how I feel, that's complicated. I didn't have a child in my 20s or 30s but had my daughter at 42. I'm legitimately tired at about 10:30 PM, my skin has definitely aged, I'm perimenopausal and I need progressive lenses. That kind of sucks. But, my health is excellent. My bloodpressure and heart rate are in the low end of normal. I think I'm more comfortable and confident with my looks because I'm in my 40s. I def did not have that in my younger years.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I will be 48 soon and I haven't noticed a significant dropoff. My diet and exercise knowledge is so much greater and the social vices that used to constantly derail me have been reduced significantly since I was in my 20s and 30s - my life is so much more disciplined and under control than it once was!
  • BW__NOT
    BW__NOT Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I don't remember
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    late teens/early 20s...I'll never be that fit again. I was a competitive athlete for most of my life up to that point in multiple sports and then the Marine Corps after HS.

In my mid 20s to 30 I was very active, but I didn't do much in the way of deliberate exercise...and nothing endurance related. I likely have better endurance fitness now at 43 than I did when I was mid 20s to 30. I know for sure that I'm stronger in the weight room at 43.

In terms of "feeling better"...well, I certainly feel better than when I was in my mid 30s but no doubt time has taken it's toll on my body. I'm pretty fit, but I still have aches and pains that I didn't have 20 years ago...herniated disk in my back, have to wear arch support in my shoes, etc...I also don't recover the way I used to even 5 years ago, let alone 20 years ago. I also do not have the energy of a 20 year old in the least...when I was 20 I could pretty much go non-stop and not be at all tired. These days I'm in bed around 9:30.

Many things are better in my 40s though...so it's a trade off.
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am 47, going to be 48 in October, and I will confess--I feel way older. The past 6 years have been one thing after another--separation from husband, teenage son overdosed and spent 8 weeks in rehab, a year of unemployment (husband), two back surgeries (me). I finally feel like things may be settling down. The son is on the right path, graduated from high school, took a gap year, thinking what college/what major/job, husband is back and employed, my second surgery was very successful. And there is a 16 year old son and my full time job too. I have about 15 pounds to lose and have a lot of trouble getting and staying motivated. That said, I know I will feel more calm and energetic with exercise. So I continue to try. I don't like feeling old. People tell me I don't look my age, so there is that, but man I feel it.
  • seekingdaintiness
    seekingdaintiness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have quite a bit of weight to lose and one of the things that keeps me motivated is how good and energetic I will feel when I lose the weight. I keep thinking I can get back to how I felt in my 20's. Am I completely delusional? Can a person in their 40's get back to the condition of a 20/30 year old?

It would be difficult, although I suppose I could try, to return to the state of utterly reckless and clueless decision-making skills I employed in my 20s. Perhaps if I returned to the level of recreational drugs I used to do. However at my age I would probably quickly suffer a stroke or heart attack like all the people I know who never grew out of doing that. So my guess is - no. lol
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I'm 47 and aside from my bad knees, I'm in better shape than I've ever been in my life. I've been lifting for over a year and am stronger than I've ever been in my life. I have a resting heart rate under 50 and am around 16% BF. I only wish I had started twenty years ago.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and lost 100+ lbs in last 16 months and feel great was annoying to get out of breath going up stairs not being able to sit in regular chairs. I did strain my patella tendon in my knee my second 5K and partially tore my rotator cuff boxing so I do show my age from time to time but 100% worth it. It would be great to go back to college days and get in shape then but as long as you're doing something now all that matters.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    42, I'm stronger faster and better in almost every way than 20 and 30 year old me. At 230ish(down from 265... Up from 145 at 21) I can run faster, lift more, and longer than I could at 21 or 35. My knees are a tad crunchy(the one big reason I started cutting down in size) but that's just an annoyance.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and in the best shape of my life and have loads of energy :smile: I spent my late 20s and 30s being over weight/tired/lacking get up and go.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I feel AMAZING in my 40's. I am in excellent shape, great health. I don't smoke and I am a healthy weight for the first time since my teens.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I feel the best I’ve ever felt in my life in my 40’s! When I was younger I was thin but completely sedentary and I had a knee problem that caused me pain for years. When I was 38 my thyroid quit working correctly and I gained a lot of weight by literally eating and sleeping all day due to zero energy. Got the thyroid under control but it still took two years for me to get my act together and lose the weight. When I found myself in the beginnings of non-alcoholic-fatty-liver-disease and prediabetes I was determined to change. I ate less, ate more nutritious food and started walking, then hiking, and after strengthening the muscles in my bad knee, I started running. Finally after 19 years, no more knee pain!!! My liver enzymes & blood sugars went back to normal and I feel amazing! I’ve also developed a lot of confidence... only now in my 40’s I feel amazing in my bikinis where as in my younger days I stayed covered up. I am a runner and I love running! I feel strong and I know what I’m capable of and I’m super excited to see what the future will bring. It doesn’t matter how “old” you are because you will never be younger than you are today... it just matters what you do with the time you have left. Unless we consider the alternative, we are all getting older, and I for one, am going down fighting all the way :#
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Just turned 41 and I feel better than when I was in my 20s. If I could only go back and educate my former self on diet and exercise who knows where I would be now :)
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    My one complaint about being almost 44 is that number. I just remember thinking that sounded ancient when I was a kid!

In my 20s I maintained a good 10-15 lbs over the weight I've averaged since I discovered working out at around age 28/29. I also lived on Diet Coke, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, and pink wine (not rose.) I also had a bell-shaped bob hair cut and crazy-thick eyebrows. Most people who haven't seen me since I was that age are amazed by how much better I look. So I feel GOOD about being me, and I can live with my imperfections much more than I could tolerate them even 5 years ago because I finally get it: Life is short, good people are priceless, and your looks are only a small part of who you are and how far you can go.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight when I was 38, I'm 46 now and I feel great. Better than I did for most of my 30s. I feel like I am a good 10 years younger than I am. Sometimes I have to remind my trainer of my age :)
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I was in pretty good shape in my 20s and 30s, but even now in my 40s I still feel pretty good. A few extra aches and pains here and there, but really, not that different.

My dad and my stepmom are in their early 60s and in fantastic shape. Seeing them run, bike, swim and hike encourages me to stay active as I get older.
  • xxrowanxx
    xxrowanxx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 44. I let myself go for a couple of years due to pain. Pain meds made me absolutely disinterested in anything and everything. Now, I've dropped the meds (cold turkey), took that extra energy and irritability and invested it on a new obsession: fitbit and healthy diet. I decided at this point to focus on walking 5 miles 5x a week. I feel better. I'm always told I look younger than my age, but obviously I'm never going to look like I did in my 20s (sniff sniff) but I'm happy now with myself and routine I've made.
    I drink lots of water and green tea (64 to 80 oz a day) and my skin looks better now than it ever has. Of course, I also have a vigorous skin care to prolong younger skin. I'm fit now and I can proudly wear a bikini. To me, after 3 kids, that's an accomplishment on its own. I still get carded when I'm purchasing alcohol (not for me) lol. That makes me feel better ;)