Anxiety at gym

Options
2»

Replies

• Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I really want to go to the gym to gain confidence and tone up my body and lose abit of extra flab I have going however I have extreme anxiety I’m scared to even go outside most of the time because I always feel judged by others or people are staring/talking about me and the gym scares me so much because it will be full of fit and healthy people while I’m fat and will be red and out of breath. I try to exercise at home but I have an evil older brother who always taunts and bullies me for it and even makes videos of me to laugh at. I really want to try and overcome my fear anyway by going to the gym but every time I attempt to go I will end up standing outside for ages too scared to go inside so I just want advice from others who suffer like this and what they did to overcome there fear and go to the gym I also have an extreme fear of men I don’t know why but I find it difficult to be around men or for men to look at me so I would also like advice on how to possibly avoid men in the gym or what will make me less noticeable if that makes any sense

I've been in and out of gyms for much of my life..while there are fit and healthy people in the gym, I'd say the vast majority are actually in the, "trying to get fit and healthy boat." Beyond that, the fit and healthy one's started somewhere...and many of them started as overweight noobs too.

I second this!! A few women at the gym ask me for advice now (I'm in no way qualified to give it, other than looking relatively in shape). So maybe you could consider me a fit person at the gym. When I started I was overweight, had no clue what I was doing and huffing and puffing the whole time. Everyone has to start somewhere!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    @TravisJhunt we don’t have any ladies only gym here only mixed gyms and there is only one gym near me and some boys who used to call me fat go there aswell so I don’t want them to stare at me or make nasty comments

I get it, I do. You are brave to want to push through this real challenge. So far you've gotten as far as the parking lot. Next up is actually going inside. Have you actually joined it yet? If not, then go to the front desk and say something like "I'm interested in joining this gym. Can you tell me something about rates and show me around?" Notice who's there, and how crowded or not it is. You can ask "are there times when it is not really busy?"

Once you have done that, you can maybe plan your next step, which is to join up and go the first time. It will be easier because you already know where everything is, and you may have chosen a time when it is less busy. I often would tell myself, "it's OK if all you do is walk at a modest pace on the treadmill for 10 minutes."

I don't know how much anxiety you have about changing in the locker room. If that it part of it, go wearing your sweats or whatever you want to work out in. My local "Y" showers are functional but on the gross side so I just throw a sweatshirt on over my sweaty self and take a shower, etc. when I get home.

While you are taking the time to take that first step, you can think about your strategy as you walk outside (weather and ice permitting). That way, you are moving.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I wish you could have been at my gym this morning, it was mostly heavy people who were very unfit, a partially paralyzed guy rehabbing after a stroke, and a military vet with a false leg! Not everyone who goes to the gym is a fitness model.

With respect, it sounds like your fear of men is partly based on bad experiences - you have mentioned your brother, as well as other boys who were unkind to you. It makes sense to want to avoid bullies.

Can you try a tour of your local gym? If they offer a tour, explain that you're worried about harassment and let them explain what they would do about it. Most gyms would take a pretty dim view of it and your bullies might not want to be banned from the only gym in your area.

If you can, go the first time with a friend who can do some of the talking for you and take the pressure off.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Early mornings can sometimes be best if you are trying to avoid crowds and attention. I used to get there right when they opened. Most people are just waking up and focused on their workout, not others.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I really want to go to the gym to gain confidence and tone up my body and lose abit of extra flab I have going however I have extreme anxiety I’m scared to even go outside most of the time because I always feel judged by others or people are staring/talking about me and the gym scares me so much because it will be full of fit and healthy people while I’m fat and will be red and out of breath. I try to exercise at home but I have an evil older brother who always taunts and bullies me for it and even makes videos of me to laugh at. I really want to try and overcome my fear anyway by going to the gym but every time I attempt to go I will end up standing outside for ages too scared to go inside so I just want advice from others who suffer like this and what they did to overcome there fear and go to the gym I also have an extreme fear of men I don’t know why but I find it difficult to be around men or for men to look at me so I would also like advice on how to possibly avoid men in the gym or what will make me less noticeable if that makes any sense

I don't suffer from that kind of anxiety but I can empathize with you. I think other posters have been too easy on your older brother. What you describe is criminal. If you haven't already, talk to your parents about it. If they are unable or unwilling to intervene, perhaps talk to your clergyman or a counselor at school and ask him or her to help explain to your parents your brother's actions and its consequences.

"Extreme anxiety" is worth talking to professionals about. If you haven't already done it, perhaps ask the school counselor or your regular doctor if a referral is a good idea.

Planet Fitness Gyms are franchise operations so the experience will vary somewhat depending on the owner but one of the corporate slogans is "Judgement free zone." At the one I go to everyone, members and staff seem to bend over backward to live up to it. So far I have never been the only overweight person working out.

Good luck Maryjane.
  • twinkit
    twinkit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes people are usually nice. But the hard part is getting there. Start at home with a smart tv and Amazon prime membership. Tons of free workout videos.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I wish you could have been at my gym this morning, it was mostly heavy people who were very unfit, a partially paralyzed guy rehabbing after a stroke, and a military vet with a false leg! Not everyone who goes to the gym is a fitness model.

this. Especially if you choose a time when they also offer pool aerobic classes (if the gym near you has a pool), since those are often used by those with mobility impairments.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    First. Your brother is a jerk.
    I Understand how you feel about going to the gym. I feel the same way and honestly if it wasn't for my support I would probably do the same thing you do. You do have a couple of options when it comes to the gym. Some gyms have a guest pass for your account. Look to see if a friend who will encourage you will come along. You could also try going during the gyms down time when very few people are there. Gym people really don't pay much attention to other people. I've been going for 6 months to the same gym and outside of the employees I literally don't recognize anyone from the beginning.
    Also consider what another person said about maybe not needing a gym. I lost a lot of weight when my exercise was just walking. Running would be good, biking, hiking, or join a school sport which would have people you maybe more comfortable with.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    @TravisJhunt we don’t have any ladies only gym here only mixed gyms and there is only one gym near me and some boys who used to call me fat go there aswell so I don’t want them to stare at me or make nasty comments

Curious have you thought about calisthenics? Usually you can do at home and just use body weight. Even when I was a hard core weight lifter I worked many of these movements into my programs so they have merit. For example you can use a chair and do dips with body weight that will make your arms burn like mad. Push ups, chin ups, step ups, squats, all things that could be done at home without weights or a gym. Grab some good quality bands and you can do some pretty good stuff with that and a wall hook tied into a wall joist. You could even try something like the P90x system but do only what you can.

Baring this and you still want to go to the gym for sure, how about with a partner that you trust. Maybe a friend trying to lose weight as well. If you have someone to support you, its often easier and more fun.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options

here is the short story about going somewhere that is not exactly comfortable - go over and over and comfort of going will take over and you will never remember when you were NOT comfortable there.

• Pam934789975321
    Pam934789975321 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had these same fears and expressed them to my son and his answer was "Nobody cares". Seriously, nobody is looking at you thinking anything. You won't be the only fat person there. If you can afford it, get a personal trainer. If not do what I did, join Golds Gym and take their classes. They have cardio, cycle and core classes to help you get in shape. You will be much better off at the gym with like minded supportive people rather than with a bully brother at home. You will make friends there and it will become easier as time passes. In fact, it may become addictive. You will soon crave the positive energy and the people there, not to mention watching the pounds drop off. You can do it.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I see 3 issues, and they're really the same,
    1. your brother intimidates you
    2. Going out intimidates you
    3. Being at the gym intimidates you

My recommendation is to pick the one that is either the least threatening, or the most threatening... and go after it. Ultimately, you've got to eat the whole elephant(snake) so you can either start with the part that's most digestible, and build up confidence for the next part, or grab the worst part and get it over with.

Pretty much everyone has dealt with this at some point. coping strategies vary.... For me... I dress to communicate that when I'm training... I don't care about anything. Dayglo green capris, pink wristbands/headband, blue/green/pink socks... But here's the side note. If they're noticing the way I'm dressed, they're already staring, so whether they go WT *kitten* is he wearing or WTK is he doing running fat man, It doesn't matter.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Ditto above. A couple thoughts. First, when I see someone at the gym who is really heavy or whatever I may look at them (I don't know how that person interprets my look) but in my head I'm thinking, that person is taking charge of their life and getting down to business to right their ship---bravo! Second, a strategy to help you with self-consciousness might be to don headphones and listen to favorite music or a podcast in which you can immerse yourself. Like many above have said, most people are also wearing headphones and self-engrossed. Focus on what you are doing. If you have a question about how to do an exercise or machine, find a gym regular and ask--they will be flattered and thrilled to help you I guarantee it.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    mulecanter wrote: »
    If you have a question about how to do an exercise or machine, find a gym regular and ask--they will be flattered and thrilled to help you I guarantee it.

This is great advice!! I see the regulars helping out newbies quite often at my gym. I was struggling with a machine once and one of the regular guys came right over and helped me out. I liked getting the help and you could tell they were happy to give the help. The regular guys in the weight lifting area will usually help lift heavier weights that someone left on a machine too. I've been at my gym for 7 months now and can really see how everyone wants everyone to succeed. I never thought that way before. I assumed everyone was judgy or obnoxious. If you decide to go, commit to a set time if you can. Before you know it you will be one of the regulars!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    mulecanter wrote: »
    If you have a question about how to do an exercise or machine, find a gym regular and ask--they will be flattered and thrilled to help you I guarantee it.

This is great advice!! I see the regulars helping out newbies quite often at my gym. I was struggling with a machine once and one of the regular guys came right over and helped me out. I liked getting the help and you could tell they were happy to give the help. The regular guys in the weight lifting area will usually help lift heavier weights that someone left on a machine too. I've been at my gym for 7 months now and can really see how everyone wants everyone to succeed. I never thought that way before. I assumed everyone was judgy or obnoxious. If you decide to go, commit to a set time if you can. Before you know it you will be one of the regulars!

(except maybe January when a larger percentage of regulars are rooting for the new and almost universally temporary army of resolutioners to throw in the towel as soon as possible so the gym crowded-ness resumes normalcy. but otherwise, yes - the regulars are generally rooting for people to succeed and become one of them (the regulars).)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I've been in and out of gyms for much of my life..while there are fit and healthy people in the gym, I'd say the vast majority are actually in the, "trying to get fit and healthy boat." Beyond that, the fit and healthy one's started somewhere...and many of them started as overweight noobs too.

THIS!!!

ValeriePlz wrote: »
    I felt awkward at the gym at first, but realize that almost no one is looking at you. Everyone's into their own thing.

and THIS!!!!
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I had these same fears and expressed them to my son and his answer was "Nobody cares". Seriously, nobody is looking at you thinking anything. You won't be the only fat person there. If you can afford it, get a personal trainer. If not do what I did, join Golds Gym and take their classes. They have cardio, cycle and core classes to help you get in shape. You will be much better off at the gym with like minded supportive people rather than with a bully brother at home. You will make friends there and it will become easier as time passes. In fact, it may become addictive. You will soon crave the positive energy and the people there, not to mention watching the pounds drop off. You can do it.

At a Golds Gym where i live they had aerobic machines in a special area in low lighting and a female only area. I really liked it. Some gyms are really nice. Now I am in a small town and the closest gym is down the street and it is a little harder anxiety wise to go there because that is where I was called fat and there are a lot of guys and it is small. I would definitely look into a community gym if you can.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If you have extreme anxiety please consider getting professional help.
    My dd had a hard time leaving the house because of her anxiety and therapy and medication have made a difference in her ability to handle situations that make her anxious. Talk to someone.

Try just going for a walk. Walking is exercise. You can get an inexpensive pedometer and increase your steps gradually.
    Go with a friend to the gym. Sometimes it is easier if you are not alone. Join a class.
    Go to the gym at a less busy time.
    Work out at a friend's home or the home of some other family member.k
    I don't know how old you are but maybe make it a priority to move away from your abusive brother.
  • Jennthebassjunkie
    Options
    I too had this major anxiety about stepping foot into the gym.. Turns out Lorazepam is MY jam! took one of those little pill, walked in and OWNED that gym! Talk to you doctor about anxiety! I don't need it when I go now, just had to get over that hump, and realize no one really cares what I look like at the gym!