Do you force yourself to eat healthy stuff you don't like just to hit your macros?

Options

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I will not eat food I don't like. I can meet all my nutritional needs eating things I do like, why try to meet those needs by things I don't like?
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Not all the things I eat are things I LOVE, but I don't eat anything I really dislike (well, being the grocery shopper of the house, I just don't buy those things anyway).
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    iowalinda wrote: »
    goatg wrote: »
    What have you been not enjoying? I'm sure there are other ways to get those cals/macros.
    Well, today it was black beans. I've been trying to get more protein and I'm not much of a meat eater. I made the black beans into Vegan meatloaf. I forced myself to eat it, but did not enjoy it. Then I was mad at myself for wasting my calories on something I didn't like :( I know I could get protein from dairy (which I love), but it doesn't agree with me.

Well, I will sometimes eat something that didn't turn out as hoped just to not waste food. But I wouldn't make it again!

Do you eat fish? Nuts? Eggs?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,431 Member
    Options
    Nope. Nope. Nope.

I'm in the "life is too short" camp. I like to try new things, and will finish a serving of something new that isn't awful, maybe even try it 2-3 times to give it a fair shot, but I don't make myself repeatedly eat unpleasant things just because they're good for me.

Fortunately, I like lots of things, many of which are nutrient dense.

If you like the black beans' flavor OK on their own, try black beans in a soft taco with chunks of cooked sweet potato, caramelized onions, some kind of hot sauce if you like it (salsa, pico de gallo, barbeque, . . .), a mild cheese if you eat dairy, maybe a little sweet corn (cut off the ear is tastiest, but frozen is . . . adequate.)

I've been vegetarian for almost 44 years. Veggie "loaves" and "burgers", IME, are often kind of dismal. Not always, but often. If you feel obligated to eat leftover bean loaf, consider slicing and smothering in some kind of flavorful sauce/topping.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Or do you just eat stuff you like, as long as it's within your calorie requirement? I've been making myself eat some stuff I don't like, but now am re-thinking this. It seems like a waste of precious calories.

I would never EVER eat anything I dont like or I dont want to eat. Thats punishment. Life is too short to do things like this to yourself.

Hey sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do though! If I don't force myself sometimes, I won't hit my goals. By the end I am so glad I "punished" myself with food :D
  • Secretnotes
    Secretnotes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Or do you just eat stuff you like, as long as it's within your calorie requirement? I've been making myself eat some stuff I don't like, but now am re-thinking this. It seems like a waste of precious calories.

I would never EVER eat anything I dont like or I dont want to eat. Thats punishment. Life is too short to do things like this to yourself.

Word. There is always an alternative that you will like. Experimentation is part of the fun of finding a nutritional balance.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I never force myself to eat it if I don't like it. I don't get to eat however many calories I want, so I'm stingy with my calories and consider it a waste if I spend them on something I don't like. There are plenty of food varieties out there, so you're bound to find something you like that provides you with the macros you want if you look hard enough.

Even some foods you may not like you may actually like prepared in a different way. I absolutely hate meat when it's just meat, but I love these meat patties my mom makes sometimes that have a lot of things in them and not just meat. I also love meat stuffed crepes and turnovers. I won't eat turkey, but I will eat deli turkey...etc.

Have you tried vegan substitutes? Some of them actually taste good and I prefer them to meat big time, although sadly I don't always have access to them.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I try to hit the 5 fruits and veg, but other than that no.
  • twinkit
    twinkit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Part of this journey started with me thinking, hey I do like chicken and veggies why don't i eat more of that instead of doing something so unhealthy. After 5 weeks of being hungry and having to eat all the time I have gone back to a few higher calorie items so I don't feel like I'm eating 5 times a day. All in good time. Some people can live off that stuff but while I have the extra calories I am going to fit in a few things from time to time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Stuff I hate, definitely not. I don't care for veggies though (unless roasted or cooked with sauce, but it defeats the purpose) but will eat them because I hate being hungry more (I still often skip them).
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone have to force themselves to eat healthy stuff. There is so much healthy stuff that tasted great. If you don't like something, eat something else. If you don't know how to prepare good tasting healthy food, take a couple of cooking classes.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Last night I had some calories still left to eat, and when checking my macros, I saw that I was low on protein for the day. I thought briefly about eating a small bowl of chicken breast with black beans...but in the end I opted for a few bites of dark chocolate :lol: So, low on protein for the day, but I ate what I wanted at the time. I'll try to do better on protein today.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    No way would I eat anything I didn't like. If you don't like something find an alternative.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    I find eggs so disgusting I actually gag if I'm eating a one. My friends and family love to watch me eat eggs because of it. Usually makes them howl with laughter.

I eat around 2-3 eggs daily and I drink about 3-4 glasses of water just to get them down

Then there are banans.... Oh yeah the bloody bananas. I eat 1 everyday before my morning workouts... I just make sure it's when I'm really hungry.. that's the only way I'll eat a banana.. if I'm hungry enough.

If you don't like eggs or banana's why eat them? they're not a necessity to any diet... find foods you DO like :smile:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I eat a lot of healthy stuff...it's stuff that I like and want...I don't eat stuff I don't like...I also eat stuff that isn't as nutritionally beneficial.

I just balance everything out...but there's a ton of healthful food that I like.

Usually when I see these comments, there tends to be a very narrow view of what constitutes healthy. Healthy doesn't have to be bland and boring and endless salads.

I'm grilling some steaks tonight and roasting some potatoes and sauteed brussel sprouts...it's very good and pretty healthy I'd say.

This. There are so much healthy and delicious things to eat that I could never imagine forcing myself to eat something I hated.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    No way would I eat anything I didn't like. If you don't like something find an alternative.

What if the alternative is nothing?
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I eat thing I'm not crazy about to be healthier, but not things that I actively dislike.

For example... I don't like mushrooms, I never have, and I wouldn't force myself to eat them.

Would I prefer to eat junk food and KFC for dinner most days? Probably yeah. I'm not crazy about fresh green salads and steamed broccoli, I'd prefer a burger and fries, but I don't hate salads. So I eat them to get the nutrients.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

There has be lots of alternatives- personally I'm not fussed on fruit so I don't eat much of it, but I LOVE veg.
    I don't love avocado, no biggie, its not a necessity in my diet.
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. I view eating things I dislike, whether it's healthy or not, to be a waste of time, money, and calories that I could use instead on something I like. I'm not a terribly picky eater, and there are so many other healthy foods I enjoy, that there is no reason to eat any type of food that I don't.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

There has be lots of alternatives- personally I'm not fussed on fruit so I don't eat much of it, but I LOVE veg.
    I don't love avocado, no biggie, its not a necessity in my diet.

I understand, but what if I am not hungry and I'd rather eat nothing than anything? Just offering a different perspective, because it does happen!