Summer Body Prep

Options
I’m not doing a bikini competition but I’m starting a program to get my summer body on February 28th.. The program I found online is from muscleandfitness and in my opinion looks manageable.

I do recognize that it’s somewhat vain to be doing this with a goal of aesthetics being my only motivation.. But I’m ok with that.

Has anyone else been in the same boat as me? Do you maintain your summer body or do you just hit the pause button come winter? What have you noticed about your summer body vs your winter body?

*To note I’m not trying to convey winter time is a time to be inactive and then panic once spring hits.. I go to the gym 3 times a week minimum to maintain my weight. But I know during the winter I’m not as strict with my eating.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I typically bulk/build my body during the winter.. this allows more flexibility with food, however workout wise it is the most difficult time because of how hard I work in the gym to gain muscle. Also I don't let myself go that much, I still maintain a fairly athletic figure (having a great muscle base helps with this for sure).

Then I cut/lean in the spring/summer. Then do it all over again.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I think there are HUGE numbers of people for whom vanity is significant motivator.

As for maintaining vs "hitting pause"... I think that is going to depend on the person. Some hit pause because it's very hard to maintain their level of leanness throughout the year. Others shift their goals season to season. I'm sure there are some who do try to maintain year round.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    1. Good job
    2. Why wait
    3. Love the skin you're in
    4. Not sure that Muscle and Fitness is the best source.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Me! I started in Decemberish and have about 1.5/2 months left to get to my target leanness. I'm going really slowly this time, because last time I waited until March/April and had to diet more aggressively to get back on track. I don't think aesthetic goals are bad, I only starting lifting weight because it was the best way to reach my aesthetic goals. I don't maintain year round for a number of reasons: (1) I like food, (2) I like alcohol and (3) in order to meet my aesthetic goals I need more muscle. I also found that maintaining leanness is kind of mentally taxing and takes the joy out of food.
    Have you figured out how much weight you plan to lose? BF%? I
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've never understood that train of thought, but it seems to work for plenty of people so I'm not criticizing.

I like to try to be my best self year-round. My workout and eating habits don't change season to season so I stay steady all year.

If anything, I'm the opposite: I do much more cardio in the fall / winter because it keeps me warm. In the summer I have a harder time getting in my cardio because it gets so hot. It's also too hot to eat hot, heavy meals so I guess it all balances out.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I am ALL about the vanity. I do maintain fitness all year (or at least I try to) but I am significantly more motivated starting around... now.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Vanity is in there with maintaining/ increasing strength and muscle mass and bone health.

I maintain my weight year round but generally cut my lifting to 2 days in the summer. I do a lot of garden work in the summer that gives me a good strength workout.

I'm older and am very conscious of the importance of maintaining good muscle and bone health. I also find it way easier to work year round than play catch up every year for my March holiday in the sun.

Cheers, h.
  • fitforeternity493
    fitforeternity493 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Me! I started in Decemberish and have about 1.5/2 months left to get to my target leanness. I'm going really slowly this time, because last time I waited until March/April and had to diet more aggressively to get back on track. I don't think aesthetic goals are bad, I only starting lifting weight because it was the best way to reach my aesthetic goals. I don't maintain year round for a number of reasons: (1) I like food, (2) I like alcohol and (3) in order to meet my aesthetic goals I need more muscle. I also found that maintaining leanness is kind of mentally taxing and takes the joy out of food.

I’m tall at 5’’9 currently in the 160’s and have a body fat percentage of 28.. I plan to lose 20 pounds of body fat. I’m unsure of what my body fat percentage would be if I lose 20 pounds of fat but I would guess somewhere between 23-25 BF%.

If I exceed this goal and I end up getting down to 21% body fat percentage then awesome if not then that’s fine as well. I only know my body fat percentage because I got tested not that long ago.

But I do remember looking at body fat percentages and thinking that I definitely don’t like being at the higher end of what’s considered average body fat percentage. I think I look ok but there’s always room for improvement.

I love food as well, especially festive foods in the fall/ winter... My theory is I’ll maintain my new weight once fall hits based upon this past winter season with Spring around the corner.
  • Fisah17
    Fisah17 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I try to maintain the same habits year round because I am not as disciplined with starting and stopping when the seasons change. I do notice the desire for heavy foods disappears during warmer months and I cannot function without lightweight clothes and a lot of water above 80 degrees. The thinner clothing fabric in spring/summer is a great motivator for me to maintain my calories/workouts It may be psychological but it works for me lol!
  • marissafit06
    edited February 2018
    Options

I’m tall at 5’’9 currently in the 160’s and have a body fat percentage of 28.. I plan to lose 20 pounds of body fat. I’m unsure of what my body fat percentage would be if I lose 20 pounds of fat but I would guess somewhere between 23-25 BF%.

If I exceed this goal and I end up getting down to 21% body fat percentage then awesome if not then that’s fine as well. I only know my body fat percentage because I got tested not that long ago.

But I do remember looking at body fat percentages and thinking that I definitely don’t like being at the higher end of what’s considered average body fat percentage. I think I look ok but there’s always room for improvement.

I love food as well, especially festive foods in the fall/ winter... My theory is I’ll maintain my new weight once fall hits based upon this past winter season with Spring around the corner.

If you lost 20lb of body fat and stayed the same weight, you would be in the mid teens, which is quite low. If you mean lose 20lbs in general and decrease body fat, you would lose some lean muscle mass as well as fat. I would make sure you are losing at a slow rate .5lbs/week to minimize lean mass loss. I'm also tall 5'11", about 148ish. I found that my body made the most changes when I was close to GW and started losing more slowly and then when I started maintaining and had the energy to fuel my workouts. I have a pretty small frame and my summer weight is about 142-5.
  • chaosbutterfly
    chaosbutterfly Posts: 71 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Yes, me.

I always tighten up in the spring, stay smaller through summer, and then relax a bit in the fall through winter. This year, I'm going to make a concerted effort to maintain my size throughout though, I do not want to go up and down anymore. This spring, it's been really hard to get the fall/winter weight off, even though it's only about 10 lbs, and I don't want to be going through this anymore lol.
    I've been doing alot of strength training to try to build up some more muscle, which should help with maintaining a stabler weight, while leaving a bit more wiggle room for treats.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

If you lost 20lb of body fat and stayed the same weight, you would be in the mid teens, which is quite low. If you mean lose 20lbs in general and decrease body fat, you would lose some lean muscle mass as well as fat. I would make sure you are losing at a slow rate .5lbs/week to minimize lean mass loss. I'm also tall 5'11", about 148ish. I found that my body made the most changes when I was close to GW and started losing more slowly and then when I started maintaining and had the energy to fuel my workouts. I have a pretty small frame and my summer weight is about 142-5.

Assuming 165 lbs, 28% means ~46 lbs fat and 119 lbs LBM.
    Losing 20 lbs of fat would mean they would be at (119+(46-20)) ~145 lbs and ~18% BF, but as you point out it's doubtful the weight loss will all be fat and some LBM will be lost. How much is anyone's guess.
  • Tacklewasher
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Well. I have a reply that does the math. But something in it hit the spam filter, so hopefully it will be approved for moderation and my brilliance will shine through...

:D

Pretty sure it's because one of my numbers is one one nine. What I get for rounding.
  • marissafit06
    Options

Losing 20 lbs of fat would mean they would be at (119+(46-20)) ~145 lbs and ~18% BF, but as you point out it's doubtful the weight loss will all be fat and some LBM will be lost. How much is anyone's guess.

Womp Womp, I fail at math.
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I actually tend to be better about food/exercise during the winter. Summer is mostly a maintenance phase for me. I'm not really sure why, either. I guess I find it easier to restrict calories when it's cold out. Or maybe it's the ice cream. :)
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    This is my first year actually paying attention to my body but by golly I hope I'll be able to do this spring/summer what I did last year. I lost 30 pounds in 30 weeks, then slowed down for the next 10 and it's taken me 4 months for 5 pounds over the winter.

I DID work out a LOT more this winter than I did over last spring/summer, so hopefully there's a layer of something good under this fluff.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    I haven't, but I'm honestly kind of tempted to this year. IF I do, it won't be anything extreme though as I still need to be able to get my workouts in - but I may take a break from increasing the intensity (once the current plan isn't so difficult) and steepen my deficit a bit more to trim up before things really warm up. My recomp has been successful thus far, but it's slow, and I'd like to be able to wear a sports bra or tank top around the pits and not be embarrassed this year, too...and that's not completely vanity as some of our tracks are basically the exhaust ports for h-e-ll and wearing my long sleeve under armor (that I wear in my suit) can be pretty dang warm between sessions on track....
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to my figure year-round and I maintain a 10 pound range.

I'm in it for the vanity and I work hard health & fitness wise for the perks (better sleep, lots of energy, longevity, being bikini-ready year round, shopping for new clothes etc.)

In the summer I'm more active outdoors so I do lean out a bit more. In the winter I'm still active but it's way more strength-training focused which is great because it makes me ready for the spring.

It is a sacrifice at times, but it's worth it. Plus I've found a nice balance of doing a good level of workouts/activities I enjoy and I've learned how to moderate treats so I don't feel deprived.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

Womp Womp, I fail at math.

I'm an accountant by day.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I think there is nothing vain about being in the best possible health and shape one can be in throughout their life.