Over 50 and fedup! Looking for friends and motivation!

Options

Replies

• brentopia
    brentopia Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and been here almost 3 years! Add me, you can do this!
  • wildbeachrose
    wildbeachrose Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    55 here and ready to get back to my smaller self!! I know what I need to do, but don't always do it. I have a fitbit too, so I can track steps. Other exercise I am entering directly to MFP. So much harder to lose when one is post-menopausal!! I like sugar too, so that's a bad thing I need to break away from.
  • debbiebondklein
    debbiebondklein Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi I will be 50 in Sept I have lost 75lbs but still have 40 to go , and I'am finding it hard to do, Please add me.
  • Copesmomma
    Copesmomma Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can add me. I'm just starting. I'm 56 and have a goal to lose 60. Have a great day!
  • Tymtrvlr213
    Tymtrvlr213 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 53, was on here 5 years ago and did pretty well, but now I'm in menopause and gained so much back. Time to get back in gear! Welcoming any and all new friends! Best wishes ans good luck everyone!
  • dizzydeb56
    dizzydeb56 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same here. I was always skinney till I got hypothyroidism 20 years ago. I managed to only gain 10 pounds since the diagnosis but when menopause hit 2 years ago, my sugar cravings are out of control! Cardio makes me hungry so weights is all I can do, which has always been my thing.I need to know how women lose weight during menopause
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    56 years young, current weight 208 (start weight 232) with 50-60lbs to lose. I joined MFP in early 2013 and got down to 174lbs. Minor knee surgery and other life stuff resulting in less activity has resulted in a re-gain of about 30lbs. Time to get back on track.

I walk, hike, cycle and (try to) lift heavy. I find that when I "act" healthy (thus all the activity), I tend to make better eating decisions.

I try to actively participate in the MFP community, so add me if you enjoy unabashed fun, honesty and opinions.
  • mayflye
    mayflye Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Skworon wrote: »
    You can add me I am 57 will be 58 in a couple months. I have over a 100 pounds to lose. I am taking it one day at a time.

Feel free to add me. I'm 52 and trying again!
  • wildbeachrose
    Options
    56 years young, current weight 208 (start weight 232) with 50-60lbs to lose. I joined MFP in early 2013 and got down to 174lbs. Minor knee surgery and other life stuff resulting in less activity has resulted in a re-gain of about 30lbs. Time to get back on track.

I walk, hike, cycle and (try to) lift heavy. I find that when I "act" healthy (thus all the activity), I tend to make better eating decisions.

I try to actively participate in the MFP community, so add me if you enjoy unabashed fun, honesty and opinions.

Keep up the good work!! I know it's so hard to stay on track. I was skinny growing up, but going through some major life changes and then menopause kinda messed me up. No one to blame but myself for where I am now! Hoping that this group will be inspirational, encouraging and fun! ☺
  • wildbeachrose
    Options
    You can add me. I'm just starting. I'm 56 and have a goal to lose 60. Have a great day!

How are you doing so far? This app makes tracking easier. I did weight watchers years ago and made goal. Tracking then was on a paper chart! I have about 60 lbs to go for my current goal #1. After that I might try a little more. If I could just be a size medium I would be happy!!
  • distydog
    distydog Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 67 and need to lose 20 to 30 pounds. I have had health issues which have gotten in the way of getting out and exercising but wanting to get back to it. I struggle with sugar addiction. I'm just starting. Looking for inspiration and meal plans. I like to share recipes.
  • DifferentView
    DifferentView Posts: 17,416 Member
    Options
    I am over 50, lol, and want to lose another 60 lbs. I have lost 41 so far. I am going to be having surgery soon and that may slow me down a bit, but I intend to persevere. Add me if you wish.
  • Brooklyn_Beast
    Brooklyn_Beast Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm not in my 50s but you guys are very inspiring to me. Feel free to add me!
  • RedneckSister
    RedneckSister Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Physical body will be 50 in 7 months; mind still entrenched in 30s :D .
    Restarted AGAIN yesterday. Had a successful day, including 5 mile run but topped it off with giant chocolate bar to "celebrate" - suffer, obviously, with poor food choices. Note to self: do not have this stuff in the house so it is not available to eat.
    Live in Rural BC, Canada - surrounded by 17 feet of snow; which is finally melting - Yeah!. Love running and cycling though battling hamstring injury from climbing "incident" and am doing both indoors due to aforementioned copious amount of snow. Upside of snow = shovelling is a great workout :o
    Goal to lose 20 pounds but more importantly to gain some muscle mass that body is naturally losing and improve overall fitness.
    Not sure that I can offer "advice" but happy to provide positive support should you wish.
  • freespirit6315
    freespirit6315 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hello there I'm 55 years old tomorrow and I used to weigh 400 pounds a few years ago. I'm down to 285 have been stuck at this weight for a few years. I started this program not quite a week ago and so far I've lost about 9 lbsbut it's hard because I have a physical problem with my feet so I can't walk much but I don't let that stop me so I too would like Friends Along the Journey of losing this weight and getting healthier let's be friends.
  • wildbeachrose
    Options
    How does everyone deal with Easter?? Years ago I did Weight Watchers and made goal. (Wish I had kept it up, then I wouldn't be so heavy now). That year I allowed myself to enjoy the holiday. I had chocolate and jelly beans and didn't track anything that day!! Monday morning I was back on plan and actually lost weight that week.
  • baltimom
    baltimom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm over 50... and soon to be over 60. I've battled the last 15-20 lbs for years since having my girls (the youngest is almost 25). I've done WW and succeeded sometimes, but the thing about WW is that they want to make money. They sell you all their processed products. It's a slippery slope from a WW brownie to the real thing. Last fall I purchased access to a more expensive app than mfp and with the motivation of not wanting to waste my money and a few tweaks to my habits, I succeeded. I am really short (like 4' 10.5" short) and 20 extra lbs feels like a lot on my frame.

Now that I have gotten to a good place I am trying to tweak my daily eating habits by cutting back on how much fruit I eat. Years of WW "fruit is free" is making that a challenge.

The small changes I made were to try to not eat processed/packaged food; no salad dressing, just oil (measured and counted) and vinegar; weigh, measure and track everything, including veggies and lettuce; and measure in grams to keep myself honest with myself.

I've been a serious dieter since I was 12. My parents were always on me about my weight (you would be so pretty if you lost 10 lbs.). When I went to see my father in the hospital after the stroke that would ultimately kill him, his last coherent words to me were "whatever you are doing, keep it up," referencing my weight. After that, when I went down to FL to see my mom I remember one time we were going to see a movie at the mall and a very heavy woman walked by and my mom said to me "if you ever look like that... " I was like, "mom, do I look like I am going to get that big?" I doubt she ever said that to my brother.

Anyway, sorry for droning on. It's been a lifetime journey and as I head into my seventh decade I see what genes have in store for me (my dad died of a stroke, my mom (though very thin) had a quad bypass 14 years ago and is now pretty much a body that can sit, eat and very occasionally walk, but has no mind after her stroke last year. She doesn't recognize me and I haven't heard her speak in months.
  • freespirit6315
    freespirit6315 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I just turned 55 Monday. You can Count Me In! I need all the friends and motivation I can get.

I've only been at this a week and it gets frustrating and confusing at times.
  • dauersmd
    dauersmd Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    57 here. Just restarting a new journey to a healthier me. Would love to have a support group here to share the ups and downs. My first day was good. One down the rest of my life to go! (Cheesy, I know.) Shawn
  • HarryFMudd
    HarryFMudd Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    61 here, I'd love to have a friend request or two!