Thigh Gaps and Running

Options
I ran my first marathon in 2016. I did not have a thigh gap. My thighs rubbed raw. It was so painful! I had them wrapped and I hobbled around for two weeks.
My second marathon was in 2017. I lost enough weight to get a thigh gap. No rubbing.
My next marathon is in a month. And then I have a second one in May. And then I have a 50 Mile race in July. My thighs are touching again. I’m worried about rubbing, so I’m going to try and lose a little bit of weight that I had gained over the winter.
Does anyone else have experience with this? Stories to share?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Skin against skin rubbing?

Or wore some sport shorts or tights and still got it?

If so, wrong material I'd suggest.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Just wear something that covers the part that rubs. If it still really hurts, try body glide.

I wear capris.
  • karsei01
    karsei01 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Body glide worked well when I was into triathlon. I used it between thighs, under arms, around neck and on the nipples
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Vaseline is great for chaffing. I will never have a thigh gap because of the way that I'm built and I'm okay with that. My thighs have always rubbed and vaseline has helped quite a lot with that
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i don't have a thigh gap, but have never noticed rubbing - i mainly wear leggings so that might be why
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Compression/performance shorts/capris.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    __TMac__ wrote: »
    The Scandinavians have a saying: “There’s no bad weather; there’s only bad clothes.”

Your thighs are fine. Get some compression shorts.

I love my thighs. This wasn’t about loving them or hating them. I don’t really care about how my legs look visually, just as long as I can run comfortably. Which is a benefit of a thigh gap when it comes to very long distances. At least in my case.

Thanks everyone for sharing! I’ll look into getting some Body Glide or Vaseline
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    __TMac__ wrote: »
    The Scandinavians have a saying: “There’s no bad weather; there’s only bad clothes.”

Your thighs are fine. Get some compression shorts.

I love my thighs. This wasn’t about loving them or hating them. I don’t really care about how my legs look visually, just as long as I can run comfortably. Which is a benefit of a thigh gap when it comes to very long distances. At least in my case.

Thanks everyone for sharing! I’ll look into getting some Body Glide or Vaseline

Fair enough. The use of the specific phrase “thigh gap” lead me to make assumptions. Lube will help, but honestly, for me, changing my wardrobe was more effective.
  • rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    mkyoungdds wrote: »
    If you're not having this problem during your long training runs, you shouldn't during the race.

Unfortunately, this is not how it works. It has happened to me more than once that items of clothing tried and tested into a million long sessions actually chafed on race day.
    The reason is it may happen (and it does regularly) that race day conditions are different than your training runs, it can be warmer, more humid, downight wet, colder...and this changes the way clothing can chafe.
    However, this is no excuse, you should always test your racing gear while in training but prepare for surprises.

• cmh308
    cmh308 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    These shorts were a game changer for me. My thighs are generally fine on runs less than 5 miles but when I start logging more miles and it get warmer out I have issues. http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Brooks_Womens_Greenlight_7_Short_Tight/descpage-BWG7ST2.html

Also I've had issues with Body Glide alone so I layer deodorant with body glide and that does the trick.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Body glide for sure!
  • goatg
    Options
    I will never have a thigh gap. I'm training for an ultra after multiple marathons. I have given up on thigh gap.

VASELINE

Vaseline in my cleavage, Vaseline around my chest, Vaseline between my thighs.

The inner arms too :(

How long is your ultra?
  • goatg
    Options
    You ultra runners are on another level. Much respect. I have a gf who's going from triathlon (she did her first full IM last year) to ultra running over this fall/winter. Any recommendations?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    goatg wrote: »
    I will never have a thigh gap. I'm training for an ultra after multiple marathons. I have given up on thigh gap.

VASELINE

How long is your ultra?

word, yo. Tricep/lat chafe suxors.
  • goatg
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

word, yo. Tricep/lat chafe suxors.

I did my long bike/run brick yesterday. Only an hour run, but literally the last 15 minutes I was running with my arms out to the side. Must have looked like the most ridiculous prance.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    goatg wrote: »

VASELINE

How long is your ultra?

It's 50 miles. I was going to start my Ultra running career with a 50k, but I have a friend running the 50 mile race in July, so I thought why not join him?!