How to lose weight

Options

Replies

• sflano1271
    sflano1271 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    sflano1271 wrote: »
    OP, you've asked this in various threads over the last month. Is there something you are having specific difficulty with?

I just decided to quit the gym I just need to lose weight instead without exercise or working out. I set in my goals on mfp to lose 1kg per week and it gave me 1500 calories per day to eat to lose weight.

For the amount you want to lose, you've probably set your goal too aggresively. Aim for 1 - 1.5 lb loss per week max. If not working out at the gym, you can still go for walks.

Its not in ibs its in kgs

So when you set your goals, you have options that are less than 1 kg a week, correct?

Yes there is 0.75kg and 0.05kg
  • sflano1271
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    What's holding you back from exercising? Even just walking will help.

And if it's giving you 1500, you have probably picked too aggressive a weight loss rate and bottomed out the number.

I want to lose weight fast plus I dont like walking.

The danger of your approach is that you just end up a smaller version of the current you.
    Prepare to be disappointed when you find you don't have the body of an athlete underneath your excess fat.

Ha sure I dont need to look like an athlete I have small muscles under my fat
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    OP, you've asked this in various threads over the last month. Is there something you are having specific difficulty with?

I just decided to quit the gym I just need to lose weight instead without exercise or working out. I set in my goals on mfp to lose 1kg per week and it gave me 1500 calories per day to eat to lose weight.

For the amount you want to lose, you've probably set your goal too aggresively. Aim for 1 - 1.5 lb loss per week max. If not working out at the gym, you can still go for walks.

1 pound = 0.45 kg
    1.5 pounds = 0.68 kg
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

So when you set your goals, you have options that are less than 1 kg a week, correct?

.05 or .5? If it is actually .5, I would go with that.
  • sflano1271
    Options

.05 or .5? If it is actually .5, I would go with that.

0.5kg
  • sflano1271
    Options
    Let me preface this by saying that exercise is not necessary to lose a significant amount of weight.

However, it does wonders for your physical health in general and it would be remiss to neglect an opportunity to get your heart pumping and stronger muscles.

It doesn't need to be a lot, but if you had the opportunity to exercise, even if it was only for 20 minutes, it would be better than none at all.

This thread absolutely screams maximum level laziness. It's the equivalent to trying to start a business, and not willing to put in any hours, and then come crying and begging for help when you don't make any money. Or expecting not to study for any exams and then whining when you fail the course.

If you're going to commit to a goal, at the very least put in a minimal amount of effort to see it gets achieved. If you can't get off your rump and jog on the spot (or whatever other form of exercise you like to do, my preferred type is jumping rope) for 20 minutes throughout the course of the day (that's right, it doesn't even need to be all at once), then you really are just setting yourself up for failure straight from the getgo.

Not trying to be a *kitten*, just being realistic. Want to achieve a goal? Show that you want it.

I could go for a walk somedays when I feel like it there is a 15-20minute walk around my block
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    What's holding you back from exercising? Even just walking will help.

And if it's giving you 1500, you have probably picked too aggressive a weight loss rate and bottomed out the number.

I want to lose weight fast plus I dont like walking.

Losing weight fast isn't always a good thing, plus exercise doesn't necessarily just have to be walking. It could be cleaning the house or something simple like that. There are certain cardio exercises that I don't like doing so I don't do them. I find alternatives.

But like others have said, a calorie deficit is basically the biggest thing you need but without exercise 2lb is far too unreasonable.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Let me preface this by saying that exercise is not necessary to lose a significant amount of weight.

However, it does wonders for your physical health in general and it would be remiss to neglect an opportunity to get your heart pumping and stronger muscles.

It doesn't need to be a lot, but if you had the opportunity to exercise, even if it was only for 20 minutes, it would be better than none at all.

This thread absolutely screams maximum level laziness. It's the equivalent to trying to start a business, and not willing to put in any hours, and then come crying and begging for help when you don't make any money. Or expecting not to study for any exams and then whining when you fail the course.

If you're going to commit to a goal, at the very least put in a minimal amount of effort to see it gets achieved. If you can't get off your rump and jog on the spot (or whatever other form of exercise you like to do, my preferred type is jumping rope) for 20 minutes throughout the course of the day (that's right, it doesn't even need to be all at once), then you really are just setting yourself up for failure straight from the getgo.

Not trying to be a *kitten*, just being realistic. Want to achieve a goal? Show that you want it.

I mean, some people just want to be thinner. Let's not make it into a big moral issue or personal failing.

Someone who is consistently logging and meeting a calorie goal to get to a certain goal weight is showing that they want it. They're taking the steps to achieve it. There is no inherent virtue in exercise. It's of value to you and to me, but this doesn't make us better people than those who value different things.

The thing is, in this context, the lazy solution is exercise. Losing weight by tracking alone is much harder.

Good point.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I think im just going to eat anything and still workout in the gym il prob end up being huge cause im going to be eating fast food most days like once a day for my dinner

The thing is you can eat anything, but if you eat more than your body burns then you will gain. Do you want to be 'huge'? I think if you truly want to lose some weight then you will be prepared to make some effort.
    It sounds like you are giving up, and I hope that's not the case.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I think im just going to eat anything and still workout in the gym il prob end up being huge cause im going to be eating fast food most days like once a day for my dinner

The thing is you can eat anything, but if you eat more than your body burns then you will gain. Do you want to be 'huge'? I think if you truly want to lose some weight then you will be prepared to make some effort.

I'll prob lose some weight but I'll probably end up building muscle bulking up if I eat anything

That's not how muscles work, even for men (lucky jerks) who generally can gain muscle significantly faster than women. If you are in a calorie deficit it's not impossible to gain muscle, but it's still quite difficult, and almost certainly not going to be enough to cancel out any fat loss you manage. Check this out: https://stronglifts.com/build-muscle/. The article notes that most men need to eat at least 3000 calories a day to build muscle. Lifting is still going to be really good for you, but it's not going to cause you to bulk up overnight just because you ate some french fries.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

I'll prob lose some weight but I'll probably end up building muscle bulking up if I eat anything

LOL. If only it were that easy.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

The only way you can "bulk up" and build muscle is if you are eating at a calorie surplus and consistently following a progressive weight lifting program. The most you can do at a deficit is preserve muscle and make some newbie strength gains. If I were you, I'd eat 1500-1700/day, go for that walk around the block 3x/week, and maybe spend 3-5 minutes on body weight exercises (push-ups/tricep dips, crunches/planks, squats/lunges) most days. It's not enough time to make strength gain, but it might help to preserve the muscles you do have, especially if you focus on getting enough protein.

Then again, if I was a guy I would take advantage of my naturally higher metabolism and muscle building potential and hit the gym hard so that I came out the other side of my weight loss journey as toned as possible.