How to lose weight

Replies

• darrenbeckworth
    darrenbeckworth Posts: 64 Member
    I always see the people that want to lose weight but not incorporate any exercise as bound to fail. It just seems like the laziest plan. It seems like a get rich quick scheme putting forth the least amount of effort.

Why not find something.. anything physical you like to do? It can be weights, walking, biking... all burn calories and tone one muscle group or another. At the bare minimum, it would allow you to eat more.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited March 2018
    I always see the people that want to lose weight but not incorporate any exercise as bound to fail. It just seems like the laziest plan. It seems like a get rich quick scheme putting forth the least amount of effort.

Why not find something.. anything physical you like to do? It can be weights, walking, biking... all burn calories and tone one muscle group or another. At the bare minimum, it would allow you to eat more.

I don't understand this point of view. Logging accurately and consistently hitting a calorie goal *is* effort. I spend maybe 30-90 minutes of my day exercising. The rest of the day -- when I'm not grabbing the snacks in the break room or doubling my portions or blowing off my planned dinner to eat a whole pizza, that's what really counts when it comes to determining what my weight is.

I mean, maybe it's effortless for some people to hit a calorie goal. That's lucky for them, I wish it was like that for me!
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    I seriously regret not working out more during my weight loss. I can barely lift anything over 30lbs now. I'm back at it now but I'm worried I won't be able to lift my niece when I see her later this year.

Also, my survival mode kicked in the other day when I wasn't able to quickly lift up a rug that fell near the dog. I got worried that I wouldn't be able to help myself or someone else out of a jam if I need to lift something heavy. I'm also a girl so the threat of men hurting me always there too.
  • sflano1271
    sflano1271 Posts: 121 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    OP - I'm not sure you're ready to make the commitment that is needed to see results/progress. Do what you're going to do and accept that it's where you're at right now. If your mindset changes, then come back and see us. But as it is, I don't think there's anything we can do to help because I don't think you're ready to really help yourself.

Theres alot of healthy foods that I don't like unfortunately like I dont know what to eat for breakfast then for lunch and dinner and for snacks I want to use the gym and do resistance training most days of the week!! I really need to lose my bulk weight that I have on my body at the moment and maintain my muscles aswell.
  • darrenbeckworth
    darrenbeckworth Posts: 64 Member
    I mean, maybe it's effortless for some people to hit a calorie goal. That's lucky for them, I wish it was like that for me!

It has only become "effortless" because I don't keep fun food at home anymore. We go out for ice cream or only have chips and pizza when we visit people. It would truly be a lost effort if I attempted to count calories having yummy food at the house. Outside of Cliff Bars and Oranges nothing even has much sugar there anymore.
  • janejellyroll
    sflano1271 wrote: »
    OP - I'm not sure you're ready to make the commitment that is needed to see results/progress. Do what you're going to do and accept that it's where you're at right now. If your mindset changes, then come back and see us. But as it is, I don't think there's anything we can do to help because I don't think you're ready to really help yourself.

Theres alot of healthy foods that I don't like unfortunately like I dont know what to eat for breakfast then for lunch and dinner and for snacks I want to use the gym and do resistance training most days of the week!! I really need to lose my bulk weight that I have on my body at the moment and maintain my muscles aswell.

You don't have to eat "healthy foods" to lose weight. You just have to consistently hit a calorie goal that puts you at a deficit. You can do that through portion control of the foods you're already eating (although some people find that making certain swaps makes it more comfortable to be at a deficit).
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member

Look up recipe ideas or something like that to find what to have for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Find healthy alternative snacks to the ones that you want, it's what I do and it has helped quite a bit and helps me with my calorie intake. And if you want to use the gym and do resistance training, then go to the gym and do resistance training. Look up workouts that you can do/want to do.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member

You don't have to eat "healthy foods" to lose weight. You just have to consistently hit a calorie goal that puts you at a deficit. You can do that through portion control of the foods you're already eating (although some people find that making certain swaps makes it more comfortable to be at a deficit).

Agreed.

Eating healthy and portion control are 2 different things. My diet is very unbalanced and not especially healthy, but I can lose weight without much problem when I put my mind to it. I just east the right amount of unhealthy foods.

Obviously a healthier diet would be better, but there are a lot of things that would be better. Right now, I'm happy trading poor habits for less poor habits. Progress comes in many forms.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member

It has only become "effortless" because I don't keep fun food at home anymore. We go out for ice cream or only have chips and pizza when we visit people. It would truly be a lost effort if I attempted to count calories having yummy food at the house. Outside of Cliff Bars and Oranges nothing even has much sugar there anymore.

That sounds like the opposite of effortless. That sounds painful and unhappy.

And like a recipe for a binge or falling off the wagon

I genuinely do not understand how anyone expects to continue to lose weight, let alone successfully maintain, if they only eat food that they consider neither fun nor yummy. I don't know that "fun" is something I really look for in food, but I try and make sure that everything I put in my mouth is yummy. You know, unless my husband is doing cooking experiments again, then I'll usually at least try and eat it. :smiley:
  • janejellyroll

That sounds like the opposite of effortless. That sounds painful and unhappy.

And like a recipe for a binge or falling off the wagon

Agreed. I'm not willing to give up yummy food for life.
  • sflano1271
    amyteacake wrote: »

Look up recipe ideas or something like that to find what to have for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Find healthy alternative snacks to the ones that you want, it's what I do and it has helped quite a bit and helps me with my calorie intake. And if you want to use the gym and do resistance training, then go to the gym and do resistance training. Look up workouts that you can do/want to do.

Im not a cook not good at cooking I like quick meals I got a meal plan from a pt in limerick and he has me eating bowls of weetabix and porridge and whey protein shakes,nuts,fruits,eggs,honey,almond milk etc but the calories work out to near 3,000 calories per day 4 meals a day and the meal plan is for losing weight and building up a bit of muscle mass.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member

Im not a cook not good at cooking I like quick meals I got a meal plan from a pt in limerick and he has me eating bowls of weetabix and porridge and whey protein shakes,nuts,fruits,eggs,honey,almond milk etc but the calories work out to near 3,000 calories per day 4 meals a day and the meal plan is for losing weight and building up a bit of muscle mass.

I'm not a great cook but with time it gets better and easier to do. Everyone likes quick meals but it's just patience.

Then what's so wrong with that plan? If he's given you that plan for weight loss and building muscle then I would follow that since, you know, that's what you want to achieve from the looks of it
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member

Nothing wrong with pre-packaged foods if they help with portion control. I guess the question is can you be consistent if you only get 1 TV dinner per meal, or do you need a lot of volume to feel satisfied?
  • janejellyroll
    edited March 2018

How did the trainer determine that 3,000 calories a day is a deficit for you? That's the key thing for weight loss. There seem to be assumptions baked in there that you'll be doing some form of exercise.
  • sflano1271

Nothing wrong with pre-packaged foods if they help with portion control. I guess the question is can you be consistent if you only get 1 TV dinner per meal, or do you need a lot of volume to feel satisfied?

Sorry but I dont understand what you said to me lol
  • janejellyroll

Sorry but I dont understand what you said to me lol

Do you need big meals in order to feel full and satisfied or do smaller portions work for you?
  • sflano1271

How did the trainer determine that 3,000 calories a day is a deficit for you? That's the key thing for weight loss. There seem to be assumptions baked in there that you'll be doing some form of exercise.

Ye I told the pt that I was going to be doing 4 days a week in the gym doing resistance training