March 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Joyous2018
    Joyous2018 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I am thinking about upgrading my Garmin Forerunner 220. I was trying to compare the Vivoactive3 and the Forerunner 735XT. Does anyone have any thoughts/ opinions on the matter?

The 735 is essentially the 935 with less battery life. There really is not much of a difference that I recall between them.

The 735 is $350 On Amazon
    The Vivoactive3 is $270 On Amazon
    (EDITED - had the wrong price, it is corrected now)

Here you can see the features side by side on Garmin's Site

Skimming that page it looks like a mixed bag, but I would point out the Vivoactive has a touch screen and smaller battery. I do not like touch screens on my GPS watches because wet fingers and gloved fingers do not work well with them.

You probably be happy with either, but check out the differences and see what you actually might use.

Just a thought about the touch screen, it is actually very responsive went wet, you can swim with it to a certain depth in water. At the end of the day it comes down to preference.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Joyous2018 wrote: »
    I am thinking about upgrading my Garmin Forerunner 220. I was trying to compare the Vivoactive3 and the Forerunner 735XT. Does anyone have any thoughts/ opinions on the matter?

The 735 is essentially the 935 with less battery life. There really is not much of a difference that I recall between them.

Skimming that page it looks like a mixed bag, but I would point out the Vivoactive has a touch screen and smaller battery. I do not like touch screens on my GPS watches because wet fingers and gloved fingers do not work well with them.

You probably be happy with either, but check out the differences and see what you actually might use.

Just a thought about the touch screen, it is actually very responsive went wet, you can swim with it to a certain depth in water. At the end of the day it comes down to preference.

Absolutely, the link with the compare should help with that. IME though the touch screens do not work when my hands are sweating, or it is raining and most gloves are too clunky even if they are touchscreen compatible. I prefer buttons for that reason. :) Everyone is different and there are lots of choices! Too many probably :)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

I was looking at that comparison this morning and the differences seemed minor, but the Vivoactive3 is a good bit cheaper. From all that I have been able to tell, it appears that the Vivoactive3 leans more in favor of an everyday fitness tracker with GPS capabilities and the Forerunner is more of a training device. But it appears that they both have similar capabilities so I was wondering if anyone had any real life experiences with either (props and cons) that they wanted to share. Your point about the touch screen is a good one. I agree that I prefer to use the buttons.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

I was looking at that comparison this morning and the differences seemed minor, but the Vivoactive3 is a good bit cheaper. From all that I have been able to tell, it appears that the Vivoactive3 leans more in favor of an everyday fitness tracker with GPS capabilities and the Forerunner is more of a training device. But it appears that they both have similar capabilities so I was wondering if anyone had any real life experiences with either (props and cons) that they wanted to share. Your point about the touch screen is a good one. I agree that I prefer to use the buttons.

Well, I have a 935, which is very close to the 735. The primary sell for me on the 935 over the 735 was battery life. The only big con I have with the 935 is that the thermometer is worthless, and the price. :) It connects it my in-car GPS for alerts, find my car, and last mile directions. Which really is a very edge case use, but it is there.

The VivoActive3 has Garmin-Pay if that matters to you. I use Apple-Pay on my phone so I do not care about that at all.

Overall I feel the 935 (and 735 is pretty close) is about as good as GPS watches get currently. I gave up my Apple Watch completely to use the Garmin. The Apple Watch is still sitting on my desk actually.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,729 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @Teresa502, @rheddmobile and @PastorVincent - I just ordered a pair of lock laces and a pair of the Xtenex laces that @_nikkiwolf_ recommended. They should arrive tomorrow and I am hoping they will help with my toes/forefoot falling asleep

I've never tried the Xtenex laces. Would love to hear your review of the two.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Well, I have a 935, which is very close to the 735. The primary sell for me on the 935 over the 735 was battery life. The only big con I have with the 935 is that the thermometer is worthless, and the price. :) It connects it my in-car GPS for alerts, find my car, and last mile directions. Which really is a very edge case use, but it is there.

The VivoActive3 has Garmin-Pay if that matters to you. I use Apple-Pay on my phone so I do not care about that at all.

Overall I feel the 935 (and 735 is pretty close) is about as good as GPS watches get currently. I gave up my Apple Watch completely to use the Garmin. The Apple Watch is still sitting on my desk actually.

More food for thought, here are write-ups about each by someone that has spent a bunch of time with them:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/10/garmin-vivoactive-3-in-depth-review.html
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/06/garmin-forerunner-735xt-in-depth-review.html
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

I like my vivoactive 3. I can't compare it to the forerunner as I've never used that one. I went with the vivoactive based on price and being able to use it for different activities. It had all the bells & whistles I wanted for around $200ish

Basically, everything she said, lol.
  • lporter229
    Options
    @PastorVincent (or anybody)- Do you use your Forerunner as an everyday watch? Do you use it as a fitness tracker (steps, sleep, etc)?
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent (or anybody)- Do you use your Forerunner as an everyday watch? Do you use it as a fitness tracker (steps, sleep, etc)?

Yes, I do. My 935 has completely replaced my AppleWatch as my, well, watch. :) It gets notifications from my phone, texts, and all the things you would want from a normal watch. It even tells the time! :lol: It does count my steps, which the Garmin App auto does something with, but given I am running 50-60 miles a week, I do not pay much attention to steps. Same with tracking sleep. I have been meaning to look into all the sleep data, but I have not had time yet.

I use a Star Trek theme for the face:
    ln6fhugv8hb2.jpg

But of course, there are analog and digital faces of all varieties too pick from.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    See I like the touchscreen. My tomtom was button only and annoyed me.

I looked at the additional measurements you get from the forerunner and found for my purposes I didn't need them. I never had them before so I can get all the other stuff I currently have at a lower price point and went with the vivioactive3. When I was looking it basically came down to those additional measurements, otherwise the watches are fairly similar.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

I have the Forerunner 25 and use it as my everyday watch. It serves as a back-up for step counting when I forget to shove my fitbit in my pocket and I also wear it in bed (I don't really track my sleep, but wearing it 24/7 means I won't forget to put it on).

I'm allergic to nickel, which means most watches are a no-no because after a couple of hours wear my skin starts itching and comes up in a rash. The Forerunner 25 is silicone, so no nasty rashes. It's not the most attractive of watches; the Forerunner 35 is prettier, but like other people here I'm on #TeamButton rather than #TeamTouchScreen
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    @PastorVincent I love that Star Trek watch face!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I got the Vivoactive 3 and love it. I like the multi-sport and activity tracking stuff and I also like the touch screen. Price point was good, also.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent I love that Star Trek watch face!

Thanks! I wish I could take credit for making it, but alas, I could not make anything that good looking.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/75d407c1-a434-466d-ae45-0199b98f1fb3

Works on the Vivoactive 3 also it seems.
  • lporter229
    Options
    Thanks for the input on the watches everyone. It's been really helpful. I have never used a fitness tracker before, but I mentioned to my husband a little while ago that I might wan to get a Fitbit for tracking. Since then, I learned that the latest Garmin devices can also be used for this purpose. However, he ended up buying me a Fitbit for my birthday. I am likely going to send it back and get the updated Garmin, but I am still trying to decide between the two. I think that the Vivoactive will probably be sufficient for my needs, but I am used to the Forerunner platform and for that reason I am a bit hesitant to change.
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    @PastorVincent I think I'll have to download it to have as an option