March 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    zerlinna87 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm new to the group this month. I've ran before, but I haven't in a LONG time, so I'm doing a couch to 5k program. My goal is 25 miles this month. Anyone have any suggestions for knee pain? I've been dealing with that since starting my program. I guess my knees struggle with the impact as I get older. I am stretching after my run, doing warm up and cool down. Nice to meet everyone!

Welcome to the group!

Knee pain could be IT band/hip/glute strength. Or of course, true knee pain. My personal advise would be to visit a physical therapist that can identify the problem. If you're in the US most states (I think all but Texas) allow you to visit without a docs refferal for 30 days. And most family physicians (if you have one) don't have a problem writing an order if you need one (in my experience my PT just sends a note to my doc, he okays it).

If they don't accommodate you, keep looking. Last thing you'll want is for something to have gotten worse than it ever needed to be.

ETA you might wanna start with some easy stretches on the IT band, piriformis, hip flexors and medial glute, max glute strength/engagement exercise. Unless it true knee pain, that won't help.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    My goal for March will be to run a total of 40 miles :)

Good goal and welcome!
  • Don_WM_
    Don_WM_ Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm new to the group this month. Anyone have any suggestions for knee pain? I've been dealing with that since starting my program. I guess my knees struggle with the impact as I get older. I am stretching after my run, doing warm up and cool down. Nice to meet everyone!

Welcome! This is a great group to follow. I use fish oil and glucosamine/ chondroitin supplements. I think they help me, but opinions seem to vary quite widely. I also use knee support sleeves when doing karate workouts - they seem to help a lot with recovery. Unfortunately for me, nothing seems to erase the effects of being older haha.

• Don_WM_
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I was off for 6-8 months and made my return in the heat of summer. It was hard. I think the biggest challenge for me, was keeping it in my mind that I shouldn't expect to pick up where I left off from. I wanted to see progress overnight. Truthfully, it took 2-3 months before I felt like I was getting anywhere. With the return to running, I learned how to focus on nutrition and form. I actually felt I was doing better than where I left off in some regards.

You're right life does get in the way. I always want to carve out 3 hours to myself, run, recover (eat), maybe drive to a nicer trail, lay around, brag to the group about what I learned/conqured/hurt... But I've also learned to be okay with a 30 minute run at lunchtime. It had even become a challenge, how far can I go now, how fast can I do that first mile. I really like to do an hour plus run walk. Somedays I gotta let that go. Maybe that's just life offering me balance.

Good luck!

Thanks! Here's to determination blazing the way forward :)

• Don_WM_
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    3/1 6.86miles

Today is my 40th birthday! I really can’t believe I’m 40 :neutral: I’m not sure I feel 40 - At least not how I imagined middle age feeling. All due to running and watching my weight. I hope I feel this way at 50!

Happy birthday!

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I've always bought Asics Nimbus. I'm defs looking to make a change. Not sure why I still have anxiety about going to a running store.

Will they hate me if I do the "get fitted for shoes" thing, but then want to buy online? Does that make me an *kitten*?

I buy if I can when I get fitted and will price shop the next pair. I give the running store a shot second time around, but am not tied to them.

Last pair I bought the cheapest was SportChek. Online was $25 more.

This is what I do. I'm ready for a new pair (just completed 400 miles on my shoes last night) and because the shoe I usually wear has been discontinued for a while now, I need to get back to the running store.

Ok. Rationally I know this is the right thing to do. Ok. To the store it is.

Yeah, I do the same... :)

I need to get trail shoes and I'm at 300+ miles on my road shoes, so i can at least get my trail shoes in store and then have a sense of what my other road shoes options are. I love the Nimbus, but kind of want to try something different. I like the cushioning, but want less drop.

I am actually looking at ordering the Altras Long Peak 3.5 with their 0mm drop for my first set of trail shoes. I just wish I could find them someplace in town to try on. :(

That's the shoe I'm thinking of as well. I tried them on in an REI and I'm half tempted just to get them. Very comfy. I have wide feet, and there's definitely the room I need. Bonus: I can get them in purple!

How different is getting fitted for a road shoe vs. a trail shoe ?

I do not think there is. I emailed them, and they told me the Long Peak 3.5 was about as wide as a 2E, but runs small so get a half size up. So I might just order them from Amazon (who offers free returns if they do not fit) and hope for the best.

I did it. I got the Long Peak 3.5s last night. Definitely get half size up, but they are wide and lovely! I am so excited to wear them this weekend!

Going in next week sometime to actually do the running store for my road shoes. I'm not sure if I'll go 0 drop on my new road shoes or not, but I definitely want to see what my options besides the Asics are. I love my Asics, and I'll get them again if I need to--I just wanna see what else might be good!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm new to the group this month. I've ran before, but I haven't in a LONG time, so I'm doing a couch to 5k program. My goal is 25 miles this month. Anyone have any suggestions for knee pain? I've been dealing with that since starting my program. I guess my knees struggle with the impact as I get older. I am stretching after my run, doing warm up and cool down. Nice to meet everyone!

Some good core training like planks and clams helps with the knees a ton. And hip-swipey-while-standing-things. Usually knee stuff is actually due to core and hip weakness.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Do any of you use the Strava extension called Stravistix? It's a browser extension for Chrome only, which give much more detailed analysis of your runs, swims, and bikes, as long as you use an HR monitor.

I mentioned that my 20M mudfest last Saturday felt harder than my 50K last year. I looked at the numbers from Stravistix and the numbers agree. They have a statistic called "Trimp", which is short for Training Impulse. "Trimp" represents the amount of heart stress during an activity. The number isn't the same as the Strava suffer score, but they do correlate. For those two races:

50K Trimp was 563
    20M Trimp was 581

Stravistix also tells me that the 20M run put me well into the overtraining territory so I ditched my run last night and give my body a little more rest. I'm going to try to use Stravistix as a guide for my running. Except for my ITB issue, there seems to be some correlation between going into the overtraining range and injury.

I do not, but Garmin has all the same stuff... which I also do not pay attention to :)
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I am hosting a play date/ birthday party tomorrow morning for my littlest one and so today is bouncing between frantically cleaning (because wow has it gotten bad this past year - basically since my work responsibilities expanded to include a third location), and waiting for my running clothes to dry so I can get out before the snow starts this afternoon.

I'm hoping this storm underwhelms vs predictions. It is a bit of a drive (20-30 minutes) along a highway that is notorious for being bad in the winter. I can get there through town instead but then there's the river valley (aka luge track, depending on the route) to contend with. So we will see.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Do any of you use the Strava extension called Stravistix? It's a browser extension for Chrome only, which give much more detailed analysis of your runs, swims, and bikes, as long as you use an HR monitor.

I mentioned that my 20M mudfest last Saturday felt harder than my 50K last year. I looked at the numbers from Stravistix and the numbers agree. They have a statistic called "Trimp", which is short for Training Impulse. "Trimp" represents the amount of heart stress during an activity. The number isn't the same as the Strava suffer score, but they do correlate. For those two races:

50K Trimp was 563
    20M Trimp was 581

Stravistix also tells me that the 20M run put me well into the overtraining territory so I ditched my run last night and give my body a little more rest. I'm going to try to use Stravistix as a guide for my running. Except for my ITB issue, there seems to be some correlation between going into the overtraining range and injury.

I do not, but Garmin has all the same stuff... which I also do not pay attention to :)

@PastorVincent Garmin has some stats, but nothing even close to the in depth analysis Stravistix provides. For a numbers geek or over-analyzer like me, Stravistix is awesome. Garmin is merely adequate.

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

50K Trimp was 563
    20M Trimp was 581

@PastorVincent Garmin has some stats, but nothing even close to the in depth analysis Stravistix provides. For a numbers geek or over-analyzer like me, Stravistix is awesome. Garmin is merely adequate.

Yay, I like geeky, over-analyzing programs! Lol. Just installed the extention and it's currently syncing