March 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    kaspan wrote: »
    Another new runner here! I just finished week 5 of C25K today - 20 minutes of run time with no walking break! It was slow (possibly got passed by a turtle at one point), but I did it! I'm setting a goal of 25 miles in March. Looking forward to following along here!

Welcome. Your goal is great! There are a lot of very experienced runners here and a lot of runners from all experience and ability levels. If you ever have any questions about running, just ask, there are plenty of folks who will give you great answers.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I've always bought Asics Nimbus. I'm defs looking to make a change. Not sure why I still have anxiety about going to a running store.

Will they hate me if I do the "get fitted for shoes" thing, but then want to buy online? Does that make me an *kitten*?

I buy if I can when I get fitted and will price shop the next pair. I give the running store a shot second time around, but am not tied to them.

Last pair I bought the cheapest was SportChek. Online was $25 more.

This is what I do. I'm ready for a new pair (just completed 400 miles on my shoes last night) and because the shoe I usually wear has been discontinued for a while now, I need to get back to the running store.

Ok. Rationally I know this is the right thing to do. Ok. To the store it is.

Yeah, I do the same... :)

I need to get trail shoes and I'm at 300+ miles on my road shoes, so i can at least get my trail shoes in store and then have a sense of what my other road shoes options are. I love the Nimbus, but kind of want to try something different. I like the cushioning, but want less drop.

I am actually looking at ordering the Altras Long Peak 3.5 with their 0mm drop for my first set of trail shoes. I just wish I could find them someplace in town to try on. :(
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I've always bought Asics Nimbus. I'm defs looking to make a change. Not sure why I still have anxiety about going to a running store.

Will they hate me if I do the "get fitted for shoes" thing, but then want to buy online? Does that make me an *kitten*?

I buy if I can when I get fitted and will price shop the next pair. I give the running store a shot second time around, but am not tied to them.

This is what I do. I'm ready for a new pair (just completed 400 miles on my shoes last night) and because the shoe I usually wear has been discontinued for a while now, I need to get back to the running store.

I need to get trail shoes and I'm at 300+ miles on my road shoes, so i can at least get my trail shoes in store and then have a sense of what my other road shoes options are. I love the Nimbus, but kind of want to try something different. I like the cushioning, but want less drop.

I've been running in Altra Loan Peaks, when I want more cushion than my Superiors offer. The Loan Peak is a great shoe and 0 drop is awesome. I'm slowly trying to get all of my shoes to 0 drop.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

I am actually looking at ordering the Altras Long Peak 3.5 with their 0mm drop for my first set of trail shoes. I just wish I could find them someplace in town to try on. :(

That's the shoe I'm thinking of as well. I tried them on in an REI and I'm half tempted just to get them. Very comfy. I have wide feet, and there's definitely the room I need. Bonus: I can get them in purple!

How different is getting fitted for a road shoe vs. a trail shoe ?
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Deleted. Found 3.5s online. Weird.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a sun block that doesn't feel nasty when you sweat? It's getting to be racerback weather and I noticed I'm already getting a "runner's tan."

Also, does anyone use lock laces and what's your experience with them? The flat laces which came with my Brooks are driving me berserk - they have no give at all and don't adjust when you move, and I have to practically unlace my shoes to get in and out so I have to try to adjust them perfectly every time. And if I slightly miscalculate my toes fall asleep.

I use the coppertone dry spray (spf 6, 8 or 30). For my face I suck it up and use the pastey 50 spf coppertone or such.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile I swear by P20. It lasts all day and is pretty damn water resistant. A lot of divers swear by it, as it won’t run off into your mask when it gets wet.

Just make sure you let it soak in for a while and don’t use white towels!!!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @7lenny7 yeah, same dropout rate.... but I had warmer weather. You did great.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    The day after I got home, my wife caught me pre-rinsing my socks in the kitchen sink. She was not pleased.

z3c7rymgw6iz.jpg

I wish we still had an Awesome button. LOL.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    The day after I got home, my wife caught me pre-rinsing my socks in the kitchen sink. She was not pleased.

z3c7rymgw6iz.jpg

I wish we still had an Awesome button. LOL.

So true!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Just in time for Sunday's race. eupfzxawu78k.jpg
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Tacklewasher I'm tagging you because I think you'd like the support in this thread. :)

Does that mean I have to add up my planned mileage? :) Spreadsheet is at home so I'll do it tonight. Starting my training for a 1/2 this month.

Plan is 90. Not sure I will hit plan so let's say 75.

Good planning. I never set my goal for what I think I'll do. I set it for what I think I can do for sure.

For me the next two month's goals are totally just to put something out there. I have no actual mileage goals.