March 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I've always bought Asics Nimbus. I'm defs looking to make a change. Not sure why I still have anxiety about going to a running store.

Will they hate me if I do the "get fitted for shoes" thing, but then want to buy online? Does that make me an *kitten*?

I buy if I can when I get fitted and will price shop the next pair. I give the running store a shot second time around, but am not tied to them.

Last pair I bought the cheapest was SportChek. Online was $25 more.

This is what I do. I'm ready for a new pair (just completed 400 miles on my shoes last night) and because the shoe I usually wear has been discontinued for a while now, I need to get back to the running store.

Ok. Rationally I know this is the right thing to do. Ok. To the store it is.

Yeah, I do the same... :)

I need to get trail shoes and I'm at 300+ miles on my road shoes, so i can at least get my trail shoes in store and then have a sense of what my other road shoes options are. I love the Nimbus, but kind of want to try something different. I like the cushioning, but want less drop.

I am actually looking at ordering the Altras Long Peak 3.5 with their 0mm drop for my first set of trail shoes. I just wish I could find them someplace in town to try on. :(

That's the shoe I'm thinking of as well. I tried them on in an REI and I'm half tempted just to get them. Very comfy. I have wide feet, and there's definitely the room I need. Bonus: I can get them in purple!

How different is getting fitted for a road shoe vs. a trail shoe ?

I do not think there is. I emailed them, and they told me the Long Peak 3.5 was about as wide as a 2E, but runs small so get a half size up. So I might just order them from Amazon (who offers free returns if they do not fit) and hope for the best.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Did you say you had the Long Peak 3.5? How well you think they will do on the 50k race I am looking at?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Did you say you had the Long Peak 3.5? How well you think they will do on the 50k race I am looking at?

Well, i have the 3.0, but from what ive read, there weren't huge changrs made. I'm bringing at least 2 pairs to my april race and will probably be wearing one pair to my race in 3 weeks, so I'd have to say I think they'd do well. I have the superior too, but the Loan Peak is sturdier and has more cushion. I'll probably be switching to all Loan Peak, as money allows

The Superior would be a faster shoe. I wore those for the first 42 miles of my October race. So they arent bad either.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Well, i have the 3.0, but from what ive read, there weren't huge changrs made. I'm bringing at least 2 pairs to my april race and will probably be wearing one pair to my race in 3 weeks, so I'd have to say I think they'd do well. I have the superior too, but the Loan Peak is sturdier and has more cushion. I'll probably be switching to all Loan Peak, as money allows

The Superior would be a faster shoe. I wore those for the first 42 miles of my October race. So they arent bad either.

I might just order them soon. Roll the dice and see how they go. I have the powerline trail by my house that I have been wanting to run - just need to buy more of that extra deadly bug spray first, I am like filet mignon to the various bloodsuckers out there.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Happy March all! Going into the month strong after my second sponsorship contract with Wunjo Sports going live today. I just need to get final signing to go live with sponsorship three and my season will be transparent in its gearing/funding. Legs are nearly 100% after the shenanigans in early February so I'll be conservative and put in for 400km.

The Speed is so fast that its kind of crazy to me. I cranked out 5km running sub 4 minute kms on what me and my HR monitor took as moderate exertion. Only difference is the shoes :o . If any of you shoe addicts are interested in trying Salming btw my friends and family discount code is MCBRIDE20 :smile:

@JessicaMcB Thanks for the Shoe XXX. So I don't see any retail presence for them in AB.
    Do they have a hidden store-retailer that's not advertised? or are they strictly on-line?
    I have a hard time buying a new shoe ( new to me ) on-line with out being able to take them for a test-compatibility run. The Speed 5 and Trail T3 look interesting, just not sure the Toe Box is wide enough.