So confused. How does your body actually lose fat?

Options

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    The only thing I will add to this about macro preference by the body. There was a study done in rats that showed after significant weight loss, their body's tended to store dietary fat easier and an increase in carb oxitazation. Like I have stated before, the study was rats and not humans. It might not translate to real world.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,989 Member
    Options
    So why are people bothering with this crazy keto thing if they can lose weight by eating a large variety of foods?

Good question for those who believe in keto.
  • TheFitFin
    TheFitFin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    dangernene wrote: »
    It does the same thing but not as quickly. Your body can handle a certain amount of carbohydrate - it's after that that it begins to be stored as glycogen, which needs to be burned off first before the fat gets used. So in a regular "diet" you'd ideally have the appropriate amount of carbs - or I guess if you go a little over you don't have that much to burn off first (the rest is used to fuel your body). In keto you don't have those carbs/glycogen to burn off so you just torch the fat straight away. Fat is less appropriate than carbs in terms of fuelling your body so I'm not sure of the long term health risks with keto (if any known), but I imagine someone here will be able to explain that a bit better.

With the small amount of research I did on just the bulletproof keto coffee, it was found that a lot of people's cholesterol levels went way high after consuming it regularly. The article suggested that anyone thinking of doing keto get their cholesterol checked frequently. I will say that I tried the bullet proof coffee for a week. I didn't like how it sat with me. I didn't feel great and even felt deprived. I'm sure it was the lack of nutrients since I was consuming such a high fat drink and barely any actual food (as it's usually had in place of a meal at breakfast).
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Your body is a chemical engine, it breaks down chemical bonds in hydrocarbon molecules and captures some of that energy to do work while the rest is expended in waste heat.

When you literally burn (as in with fire) a pile of sugar what is happening is that the sugar molecule (C6H12O6) is interacting with oxygen (O2) and in the increased temperature this reaction created CO2 (which is a gas) and H20 (water, which in a fire evaporates and escapes as steam) and a lot of released heat. If you burn fat (which is just a hydrated carbon chain) the overall reaction and biproducts are essentially the same. You use oxygen to oxidize the bonds and release water and carbon dioxide and energy.

Your body carries out the exact same oxidative reaction but rather than using extreme temperature it uses enzymes to catalyze the reaction and couple it in such a way that less energy is wasted as heat and some is captured in a "currency" molecule ATP which can be coupled to other reactions to carry out the metabolic and biochemical functions of life. The waste products of this breakdown remain the same however, you take in oxygen and you release water and carbon dioxide. The carbon dioxide you breath out and the water is either used to help keep you hydrated or is excreted. There is a bit of waste heat as well which your body uses to maintain your body temp. In fact even in the case of zero activity your body is constantly utilizing some of its stored hydrocarbon fuel in order to generate heat to maintain your body temperature.

So where does the weight go? Well your body is constantly exchanging matter with its enviornment through intake of food and water, excretion (urine, feces) as well as through breathing. Water intake and excretion is homeostatic, meaning you have to maintain a certain amount of water in your body so water intake might temporarily increase your weight but you will excrete it later to come back into balance so it can be ignored. Feces are just what is left from digestion and were never really "inside" you, they are just what is left in the tube that passes from your mouth to your *kitten* so that can be ignored as well. All that is left therefore is breath. You breath in oxygen, which is O2 and you breath our carbon dioxide, which is C02. If the carbon you are exhaling is more than the amount you are taking in from your hydrocarbon fuel sources then you will lose weight, if it is equal you will maintain and if it is higher then you will gain weight. The amount of carbon dioxide you expel is proportional to the level of metabolic activity your body is under which is influenced by your activity level. Where does the weight go when you lose weight? You breath it out through that extra carbon atom. Doesn't matter if your intake is "keto" or not.

I gave a much more in depth version of this here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10616800/biochemistry-answers-for-common-weight-loss-questions-what-are-macros-fats#latest

Dude..
    You are becoming my hero!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    If insulin was just plain "bad" and stimulating insulin production through ingestion of carbohydrates is what causes obesity then how would you explain obese type 1 diabetics given that they literally are incapable of producing insulin at all?

I guess since it is so "bad" it's healthier for them to go without their insulin injection/pump.